Chapala.com Webboard

The best (and most practical) vehicles to own locally

2 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

..... What are the most practical vehicles to own locally?.......

And here you go yet again!!!   What are YOUR needs? Where will YOU travel between?  and so on and so on ad infinitum.    Getting more than a little tiresome.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, ibarra said:

More information for the book...methinks!

You are incorrect, no book here. I'm sure that's been done many times before. With that said,  I may need to purchase a vehicle in the upcoming months and thanks to those who have provided useful information. I would be buying this vehicle in the US to drive to Mexico and would need something with a decent cargo capacity-likely either an SUV or a wagon.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, blankletmusic said:

You are incorrect, no book here. I'm sure that's been done many times before. With that said,  I may need to purchase a vehicle in the upcoming months and thanks to those who have provided useful information. I would be buying this vehicle in the US to drive to Mexico and would need something with a decent cargo capacity-likely either an SUV or a wagon.

Just a question. How much time have you actually spent in the area?  If you had you would have seen vehicles from Suburbans down to Smart Cars in the area. 

Just like where you live ....buy what suits you with consideration to parts and service. Understand that any factory warranty will not be valid in Mexico if the vehicle isn't purchased here.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

I'm looking at mostly Japanese wagons and small SUVs ie, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc. What are the most practical vehicles to own locally? Is the Honda Fit still a popular choice?

Honda fit had very low clearance not good for speed bumps. Most of the models you cannot buy in the usa have much better ground clearance. My nissan has almost as much clearance as my ford f350 had. 

2 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

I would be buying this vehicle in the US to drive to Mexico and would need something with a decent cargo capacity-likely either an SUV or a wagon.

Then why did you muddy the waters asking about a Honda Fit?   

You mentioned Japanese....  sounds like (now!) something like a Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V or Subaru Forester might be a fit (Pun intended).  Wagon?  How about a Subaru Outback. 

Other than Japanese one might consider similar sized vehicles from Hyundai or Kia.  

15 minutes ago, RickS said:

Then why did you muddy the waters asking about a Honda Fit?   

You mentioned Japanese....  sounds like (now!) something like a Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V or Subaru Forester might be a fit (Pun intended).  Wagon?  How about a Subaru Outback. 

Other than Japanese one might consider similar sized vehicles from Hyundai or Kia.  

I figured that the Japanese cars (and Korean) would likely be a good fit there based on past experience with respect to operating costs, parts and service locally. I wouldn't want anything that had to go to Guad for servicing.

Our experience with Honda was that to maintain the warranty the service needed to be done at the dealership... We purchesed our car from S&S and they will take your car to Guadalajara for a small price... Rod Collins now offers the same sales and service...