Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic potholes

HarryB

I understand your frustration. Harry B. does also but I for one and my neighborhood will fix up our streets cause its cheaper than doing it ourselves which is what we are doing now on an individual basis. You can't leave steep hills torn up or rocks will be thrown by car tires and someone could get hurt and most don't know but Tempesque is a main walkway for locals going up the hill. I for one would rather pay for materials than materials and labor and that's what it comes down to for me.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bennie2

of all the expat collections/donations, how many projects were proposed, & how many got done- say w/in the last 3-4 years? the street was done over on colon (few yrs ago), another about 8 years back in san antonio main street. who paid for that? expats or gov? (as for the market street, i know that was mainly expats). of the un-done projects, how many of them took (stole) the money-work was abanded or never began? personally, (IM un-soliticed O), expats supporting cityhall has created a monster. ok lets call it a "tradition". (it is so embedded in the US culture it will take generations for that to change. what goes on here is just a micro version of US politics. sorry for the rant). i think my questions are reasonable. has the chapala/jalisco gov paid for anything??? (except decor)?

Do you want the potholes fixed? (No, don't care => end of discussion) Yes => Do you think the local government will fix them in the near future? (Yes => end of discussion) No=>Is it worth it to you to pay for fixing the potholes? (No=> end of discussion) Yes=>Join with other Yeses, pay for materials, get potholes fixed, enjoy.

Bennie if you don't want to give fine but stop the exaggerations. Every dollar going to Harry B. has gone to projects. Have you ever met Harry B. or worked with him??? I very much doubt it. Leave us alone to get something done which is fixing potholes and you can return to your world strange as it is. Oh if you need an example Revolution was paved with Chapala money not the ignorant expats money as you said in your post.

Guest bennie2

loscats, as i recall there was $ returned to donors. as i also recall, $ was taken but work not finished (more than once?). harry himself made these annoucements. check the boards archives. ldrews is correct in a way. though i dont approve of what you do, @ least youre not humiliating your self listening to the bs. (or "monitering the administration"? say what??). doing it on your own, not playing their game. if you dont like my posts use the "ignore". if you are really shaken up you can complain. as i noticed no one has come forward & answered my questions, one by one. just saying. (no need to get personal or attempt to insult either).

A cheap and effective way to repair pot holes is to get brick debris
from construction sites. There is a lot of it around
My neighbor and I fixed 3 large pot holes on our street. One is on a
incline and is run over constantly by incoming and out going traffic.
We carried the broken bricks from a demolition around the corner,
broke them up and added small stones. We then ran over the bricks and
stones which we mashed.
It is now well into the rainy season(the patches were there before it
started) and the repaired pot holes are as good as the day we fixed
them. One was very wide and deep.

There are a couple of A-holes on this board that do nothing but complain. There is no making them happy, this is their life and their long persevering negativism will never change. Forget their BS and move forward and away from their bitchin.

In front of my house on Paseo de Mirador #14, there is a pile of concrete escombro. It will be growing everyday as the workers redo the walls of our aviary. You are welcome to it before they haul it away next week.

The way I look at it, is if I can throw some money at a problem that I deal with every day, I am happy to do it. To think otherwise, is "penny wise and pound foolish".

I have never taken a centavo that was not spent as intended by the donor. I have the receipts to prove it.

I believe I am the only one who has ever returned donations when other funding sources were made available.

Yes, the tiangues street (Revolution) was paid for by grant funds and not completed as the project was submitted. That was not my fault, look to the Chapala Obras Publicas. I asked them to finish the job and they brushed me off. I was alone.

You can't fill the potholes with rubble (construction debris) when road is on a hill. Tires will spit out rubble and hit people. Works OK on flat road. We tried it on the hill. We need concrete to stabilize the rubble as people spin tires trying to get across the carraterra or go up the steep hill. The dirt and rocks don't work well at intersections. We also have many many trucks going up Tempesque to serve the resturants , stores and construction going on. We fill holes with rubble and a 10 wheel dump truck comes by turns and rocks and rubble fly. I can hear the rocks fly from inside my house.

Fixing cobblestones is an exercise in futility, IMO. If money were being collected for a better and more permanent solution, I'd consider donating. Also, relying on selective generosity belongs in church collection boxes. However, Harry's good intentions and honesty are to be admired.

When I lived in an almost exclusively Mexican barrio in SMA, a "road committee" was organized by the residents. There were dirt streets on a steep hillside, so the rainy season was a disaster. Everybody was assessed, even those with vacant lots. They put in large pavers, and years later, it's still good. Old folks weren't falling; kids weren't falling off bikes and strollers could be wheeled. That, I could support.

I wish they would put in pavers. But, that is a big project that would require grant funding. I'm going to use dolomite rather then sand. It hardens like cement , but, is water permeable. The mexican community is very much against cement as it would seal the streets. They believe the water evaporation through the cobblestones cools the village.

At least two of us on Tempisque have paid for and repaired annoying, continuous holes in front of our homes. Still every time we turn up from the carretera we comment on how rough the street is - particularly when the gym clients take up the good half of the road for parking. Nevertheless, we would like to pitch in 500p for any improvement to our neighborhood.

Please let us know how to deliver to you.

Finally, I have to say that since we are only talking about one neighborhood at the moment, there seems to be no need for anyone else to be concerned about what we decide.

Halfway up Tempesque on the first block owners have fixed three of the big holes if you look. On the first block of Tempesque we have at least five big holes and lots of small ones growing. The trucks are killing us right now. Anybody wants to walk above Angel Flores and take account of Tempesque and report. Biggest problem is where Tempesque and carraterra join in my opinion. How is the other hill street west of Tempesque? I assume we want to start with the hills right? I want to make sure we have raised enough money to finish what we started.

Before suggesting blacktop or cement streets, think about what lies below. You will soon change your opinion and realize the benefits of cobblestones, as they have been used for centuries.

Before suggesting blacktop or cement streets, think about what lies below. You will soon change your opinion and realize the benefits of cobblestones, as they have been used for centuries.

There are other alternatives. I like the flat pavers, but too bad for me.......ain't gonna happen.

Archived