Chapala.com Webboard

On-Demand Hot Water Heaters

RickS

It's been a number of years since I was knowledgeable of these. Back then, there were 'brands to buy and brands to stay away from'.  And those that didn't play well with pressurized water systems.  Etc Etc

Anyone with any recent experience owning one. Larger size for whole house; several bathrooms and several story house?  Long runs from heater to bathrooms.

Pros and Cons.  Basically I'm just looking at whether a on-demand heater would work and as important does one actually save any money over a standard water heater, all things else being the same.

TIA

I asked an ingeneer what to do as one bathroom is 35 m from the heater.The house is a one story 2 bedroom and he told me to get a heater to cover 4 yo 5 bedroom  if both bathrooms are ocupied on a regular basis or a 3 to 4 bedroom one as it is a guest bedroom.there is no way to install a small hot water  next to each bathroom.like artsnob did.

The water for a 2 bathroom one does not travel well over 15 metres especially where i live where it gets very could.

I moved into my house in 2016 and immediately removed the unbelievably large tank water heater and installed an on demand water heater with piezo ignition. A Cinsa hydrotec that works with low pressure water. I do have a 1/3 HP booster pump on the tinaco from which its water comes. Couldn't be happier. I have the propane set to its lowest setting and water to its highest setting. LOVE it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

My info is not super-current, but our experience with on-demand hot waters heaters ( 2 -- one after the other, both very close to kitchen sink which is all they served) was HORRIBLE.   Nobody could pay me to have one.... updated versions or not. (Lower Chula Vista)

Mine also. The heater when I moved in was nada so I bought a Cinsa on demand. No hot water half the time and ate batteries. We tried making it better to no avail. My sister was having the same issues down the road and replacement was a Kalotron with a small tank. I was so impressed I bought one. It is great. Easy to maintain and I did not notice a big jump in gas consumption. It is pilot light controlled and has a small tank which is fired when water flows pressurized or not. It is reliable and will keep up a full blast hot for 15-20 minutes. (really full blast)

Mercado Libre is your friend to buy one.

https://www.kalotron.com.mx/index.php

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RickS said:

This is for a Chiapas location, no? Requirements for balmy Lake Chapala might be different.

if You have áreas further than the distance recommended for the unit get several smaller units if You can.

Not really, the distances is what is important.Granted the cold climate makes things more  complicated but the distance between the water heater and the delivery pont is what is important and should be taken into account..

I have a de paso here In Ajijic  with a capacity for 3 delivery points and it works fine but the distance between the delivery points and the heater is short

The kitchen  is further away  on the límit and the water does not get as hot and that is here i'm balmy Ajijic.

i love de paso because they sabe a Lot of gas.

In on-demand,  Bosch is a good brand.    Kruger is a brand that can accept solar hot water input, as many on-demands do not.      The Kalotron mention by another poster is a good efficient small tank unit, well insulated.        For maximum gas savings, solar hot water fed to either a solar ready on-demand like a Kruger, or passed through a tank style boiler left on medium, is a great way to go to have unlimited hot water, fast, 24/7.       

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tomgates said:

On any of the on-demand units, it is really helpful to have a water softener to reduce or eliminate hard water deposits on the internal components.

We personally do not like using a water softener.  We have our tanks (we have a double) cleaned every 6 to 9 months to remove calcium build up.  Inexpensive to do this.

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

We personally do not like using a water softener.  We have our tanks (we have a double) cleaned every 6 to 9 months to remove calcium build up.  Inexpensive to do this.

Who are you using for this?  We have had someone come from GDL and that isn't cheap.