Chapala.com Webboard

Dollar weakens

48 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Actually the dollar did not get weaker. The peso got stronger against 52 world currencies today including the US dollar

Yep, Lots of countries in South America and Europe are real bargains now if you have dollars.

10 hours ago, ACD said:

Hot money flowing from USD to MXN for several reasons.

Here in the Rio Grande Valley it's hot money from Mexico flowing here. You wouldn't believe the new construction and influx of people going on here.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:40 AM, Jim Bowie said:

Yep, Lots of countries in South America and Europe are real bargains now if you have dollars.

Jim,

Do you mean some EU countries? Or non-EU nations such as Macedonia, Montenegro,etc? Or some of both? Ecuador would probably be a good deal as they use the USD (as does Panama).

I just got back from France and Belgium and I did not find any bargain there..Strong pesos or not.. Since I get my pension in dollars converted in Pesos I lose the 20% , period and then I have to turn srould and pay in Euro... no deal there.. 

13 minutes ago, bmh said:

I just got back from France and Belgium and I did not find any bargain there..Strong pesos or not.. Since I get my pension in dollars converted in Pesos I lose the 20% , period and then I have to turn srould and pay in Euro... no deal there.. 

Are any of the non-EU countries in Europe better bargains? I'm thinking Balkan countries. 

With all the investment in Mexico, Mexico appears to be headed toward being the new China. Ever paid attention to the number of 18-wheelers on the hwy headed North to the US. 

On 7/10/2023 at 7:30 PM, Hud said:

With all the investment in Mexico, Mexico appears to be headed toward being the new China. Ever paid attention to the number of 18-wheelers on the hwy headed North to the US. 

Like Ravel's Bolero, since the '60s.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:51 PM, RickS said:

I'm not a currency trader so don't know this.... is there a currency where the US $ is getting stronger AND that currency is also stronger against the Peso (than the US $)?  

"Two strongs make a right"....

a logical impossibility 

On 7/10/2023 at 6:30 PM, Hud said:

And those roads are getting pretty beat up as a result.   Mexico 45 north of Aguas Caliente to Torreon, and then north from Chihuahua about half way to Juarez,  including those really poor toll roads in Zacatecas, is a wreck.  I really feel sorry for the guys who have to drive trucks over that road.  Many parts of the road between here and McAllen are pretty bad too.  Mexico 15 north to AZ is relatively better after a lot of work but the tolls on trucks are brutal.  And the problem with almost all Mexican roads is the base underneath the pavement cannot carry the weight so the pavement deteriorates much faster because of settlement and shifting from the weight.

If Mexico is serious about replacing China they are going to have to get serious about having roads that can carry the weight of semis.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 6:30 PM, Hud said:

With all the investment in Mexico, Mexico appears to be headed toward being the new China. 

With respect to 'headed toward' can you give some relative numbers of each country at this point. 

i.e. what supports your saying this?  Just curious.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

And those roads are getting pretty beat up as a result.   Mexico 45 north of Aguas Caliente to Torreon, and then north from Chihuahua about half way to Juarez,  including those really poor toll roads in Zacatecas, is a wreck.  I really feel sorry for the guys who have to drive trucks over that road.  Many parts of the road between here and McAllen are pretty bad too.  Mexico 15 north to AZ is relatively better after a lot of work but the tolls on trucks are brutal.  And the problem with almost all Mexican roads is the base underneath the pavement cannot carry the weight so the pavement deteriorates much faster because of settlement and shifting from the weight.

If Mexico is serious about replacing China they are going to have to get serious about having roads that can carry the weight of semis.  

Coming down from Texas, through Laredo recently, the North bound sides of both 85 and 57 was 2 lane wall-to-wall for miles with 18-wheelers, both lanes. Cars could not get through. Can't go back that way any more, as last time it took 2 hours to go 1/2 mile in 2 different locations and the bridge was terrible. Any suggestions?

26 minutes ago, RickS said:

With respect to 'headed toward' can you give some relative numbers of each country at this poi.e. what supports your saying this?  Just curious.

You can google as well as I can, but I will say that in 26 years of coming and going on 57 and 85 North and South at least 4 times every year (usually more) the number of 18-wheelers headed North on those 2 hwys and US 35 in Texas is just wall to wall since USMCA was signed. NAFTA was nothing compared to USMCA. The delays are just  horrible in Mexico. And, they are destroying the hwys faster than they can be repaired. Travel it once and all your questions will be answered.

1 hour ago, Hud said:

Coming down from Texas, through Laredo recently, the North bound sides of both 85 and 57 was 2 lane wall-to-wall for miles with 18-wheelers, both lanes. Cars could not get through. Can't go back that way any more, as last time it took 2 hours to go 1/2 mile in 2 different locations and the bridge was terrible. Any suggestions?

The biggest truck backup is at the Puesto Militar at the hwy 57/58 junction. The truck backup northbound on a weekday can be 5km or more long sometimes. Going north need to arrive at that point before 10AM or so for short lines. Sundays and Monday holidays there are very few trucks, and wait is 5-10 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/PUESTO+MILITAR+DE+SEGURIDAD/@24.6753799,-100.2991446,1611m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x867d7389c7003829:0x905d2bd55dd722eb!8m2!3d24.6696782!4d-100.2981299!16s%2Fg%2F11jsf95jqy?entry=ttu

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

The biggest truck backup is at the Puesto Militar at the hwy 57/58 junction. The truck backup northbound on a weekday can be 5km or more long sometimes. Going north need to arrive at that point before 10AM or so for short lines. Sundays and Monday holidays there are very few trucks, and wait is 5-10 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/PUESTO+MILITAR+DE+SEGURIDAD/@24.6753799,-100.2991446,1611m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x867d7389c7003829:0x905d2bd55dd722eb!8m2!3d24.6696782!4d-100.2981299!16s%2Fg%2F11jsf95jqy?entry=ttu

Actually, it gets worse  than that at the entrance to the newest TOLL Road going from Saltillo area to Monterrey. 18-wheelers block both lanes when turning right to access the Monterrey Toll, leaving us cars to endure more wait than the 57/58 congestion. Same happens again at the Toll that takes you across to the airport area in Monterrey. Its Terrible.