Chapala.com Webboard

Things Better NOB--They can go fishing!

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.

If you see me talking to myself, just move along. I'm self-employed. We're having a meeting.

Does anyone else have a plastic bag full of plastic bags, or is it just me?

Today's 3-year-olds can switch on laptops and open their favorite apps. When I was 3, I ate mud.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would've put them on my knees.

Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators. We haven't met yet.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just going to transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

You don't need anger management. You need people to stop irritating you.

Your people skills are just fine. It's your tolerance for $%&/()s that needs work.

"On time" is, when you get there.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid – but it sure does muffle the sound.

It would be wonderful if we could put ourselves in the dryer for ten minutes, then come out wrinkle-free...and three sizes smaller.

Lately, you've noticed people your age are so much older than you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/8/2024 at 8:22 PM, Usvetsinmexico said:

Politics much admin you ok with this. Attacking those who still believe in global warming is wrong esp comparing them to flat earthed.

On the edge but OK.  BTW, the essence of good science is questioning.  Always remember this:  Flat earth used to be the established science.  So did sun and everything else revolving around the earth.  

We will not be debating climate change or politics on this thread.  It is for fun only.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

Flat earth used to be the established science.

Well, actually not. The myth of the flat earth is a historical misconsecption that European scholars and educated people during the Middle Ages believed the Earth to be flat. 5th Century BC Greek scholars... the scientists of the time... were calculating the circumference of the earth. Belief in a flat earth among educated Europeans was almost nonexistent in the Middle Ages.

The 'flat earth' notion became prevalent much later.... in the late 1800s... by Protestants to argue against Catholic teachings. "No educated person in the history of the Western Civilization from the 3rd Century BC believed that the Earth was flat." 

Source: Personal knowledge and Wikipedia "Myth of the Flat Earth" et. al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Well, actually not. The myth of the flat earth is a historical misconsecption that European scholars and educated people during the Middle Ages believed the Earth to be flat. 5th Century BC Greek scholars... the scientists of the time... were calculating the circumference of the earth. Belief in a flat earth among educated Europeans was almost nonexistent in the Middle Ages.

The 'flat earth' notion became prevalent much later.... in the late 1800s... by Protestants to argue against Catholic teachings. "No educated person in the history of the Western Civilization from the 3rd Century BC believed that the Earth was flat." 

Source: Personal knowledge and Wikipedia "Myth of the Flat Earth" et. al.

For some unknown reason, this characters voice came to mind:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Clavin

• Haha 1