Chapala.com Webboard

Rip-off at ATM

Lexy

I used an ATM recently at CTBanco.

Below is the letter of what happened, published in the current Guadalajara Reporter.

Michael Forbes, editor
Guadalajara Reporter
Dear Editor:

I used an ATM in Ajijic and got no cash. And things went downhill fast.

On May 11, I used a CIBanco ATM in Ajijic to withdraw $10,500 pesos from my USAA checking account with a debit card. The requested receipt slid out showing a $10,500 withdrawal. But no cash appeared.

CIBanco brushed me off, saying to report the incident to my bank. I  reported the matter to USAA. A USAA dispute resolution team received from CI Banco what it called documentation that $10,500 was received.

USAA showed me CI Banco's "documentation" upon which USAA based its decision in favor of CI Banco. I couldn't make any sense of it. I saw nothing that had anything to do with my complaint, no numbers corresponding, etc. Nevertheless, USAA deducted $607.79 USD from my USAA checking account, apparently reimbursing CI Banco.

In deciding in favor of CI Banco, USAA, in effect, found  it plausible that the ATM that day issued $10,500 pesos, that I got it, and am now claiming I didn't in order to get it again. It's ludicrous.

I am 91 years old. I have no history of robbing banks. In fact, it is devastating to lose the $10,500 pesos that I expected to use to cover my growing medical bills along with basic monthly expenses.

Clearly, USAA failed in its responsibility to me, as I told them in subsequent communications, written and verbal. 
Which so far got me nowhere.

ATM no-cash incidents happen; however the ones I've heard about have been resolved to the ATM-users' satisfaction. Nevertheless, ATM users are at risk with certain banks with malfunctioning ATMs.

What will become of my efforts to regain the $607.79 USD I lost to a bank with a malfunctioning ATM? Not even the Shadow knows.

Thetis Reeves

LEXY

So sorry to hear about this Lexy.  If it was me, I would pursue with your Bank to the point of getting a transaction list from CIBanco from that day.  Someone is ahead 10,500 pesos and it sure isn't you.  Perhaps the ATM machine was out of cash.  Yes, I know, it should have stated that the transaction you requested could not be provided.  But it didn't. Are there cameras that would have seen you retrieve funds, or is this case, not receive funds?  File another Dispute with your Bank, fraud department.  There are many questions that still have not been answered.  

• Like 1

Ibarra--I haven't given up. First I was upset, now I'm mad-angry. I"m about to show USAA the published letter. I'm following through in every way I can think of. But with the stupidity of USAA's handling of it, it's an uphill battle.  Problem is, USAA has deducted $607 usd from my checking account and presumably "reimbursed" CIBanco. CIBanco has no incentive to an appeal from me to them. And they know they have a faulty machine.

1 hour ago, Lexy said:

Ibarra--I haven't given up. First I was upset, now I'm mad-angry. I"m about to show USAA the published letter. I'm following through in every way I can think of. But with the stupidity of USAA's handling of it, it's an uphill battle.  Problem is, USAA has deducted $607 usd from my checking account and presumably "reimbursed" CIBanco. CIBanco has no incentive to an appeal from me to them. And they know they have a faulty machine.

Maybe I don't completely understand, but, why would CIBanco need to be reimbursed?  Your receipt says you received the money, that would mean their ATM machine dispersed the money (which they are saying happened per your actual receipt).   File another Dispute against the way USAA handled the solution.  DEMAND to see an accounting from CIBanco showing, in a ledger/spreadsheet, whatever, where the funds were actually dispersed.  They way I see it, they are up 10500 pesos for that day and, who knows how much more if this happened to other people.

Was CIBanco open when you attempted the withdrawal?  I must assume that they were not open or you would have gone in immediately and complained.  

5 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Lexy remember two things.  (1)  CiBanco does NOT load that ATM with $$$.  A company from Guad is contacted to "run" those machines and it's really THEM ( if you can find them) that need to be pressured    (2)  CiBanco didn't put the money in there, and they didn't actually get those pesos back. The contract company would be more likely.

Was the guard on duty at the time?  Did you show him that you didn't get any money?

But, CIBanco funds the machines and CIBanco is responsible for the accounting of the machines.  CIBanco pays that delivery service to fill the ATM's.  A Dispute is always between banks or lending institutions, not the people that fill the machines as their job is to fill the machines, only.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lexy said:

Same problem, almost same amount, same CI BANCO, except in Leon, Gto. 4 months ago, using Schwab. Schwab said I got the money and was denied. I'm only 80, but so far have not robbed any banks either. Use BanBajio now. Excellent, but only 10,000 p at a time.

Thanks very much, all of you, for your responses.

At the ATM. the receipt slid out showing the withdrawal. Then the mechism usually holding the money slid out, empty. Slid back in again. I went into CBanco. No one would even talk to me. They said Contact your bank.

The failure here is with ASAA's "resolution team." It took just one person to say I wasn't giving them enough info. I had no more to give. I did not know what they wanted to know; only CIBanco would. I had just a copy the receipt. I explained about CIBanco not speaking with me, period.

Somebody at USAA felt important that day and decided to rule in favor of CIBanco.

Yes, that's a good question. I wondered too: Where did the $607usd that USAA deducted from my account go?

Ibarra is right. This is between the banks. USAA calls it a Refute. But USAA decided incredibly, illogically in favor of CIBanco.

My struggl goes on.

I feel for your loss but I'm not too sure what a US bank/credit union can do when a bank in Mexico says that one got their money.  It is the patron's word against a foreign bank and we all know who is going to win that toss-up 99% of the time.  Maybe if one has tons of money in that US bank one could get better treatment from them in cases like this but I for one don't keep tons of money in a bank checking or savings account.

I'm with Ibarra.... file a fraud complaint with USAA, refute or not!

OVER THE YEARS, THIS HAPPENED TO ME TWICE. BOTH TIMES AT

DIFFERENT BANCOMER BRANCHES. I WAS TOLD BY BANCOMER

EMPLOYEE THAT THEY WOULD KNOW THE TRUTH BY THE NEXT

MORNING AS THEY CHECK OR AUDIT THE ATM BOTH TIMES THEY

NOTIFIED MY U.S. BANK THAT I DID NOT RECIEVE THE CASH, ONCE

IN SOUTHERN MEXICO I WAS SIMPLY TOLD TO CALL MY U.S. BANK

WHICH WAS CAPITAL ONE, AND CAPITAL ONE CREDITED MY ACCOUNT

THE 500 DOLLARS, BACK THEN THE PESO WAS LESS THAN 10 TO ONE!

AS I READ THIS I TEND TO THINK THAT BOTH CIBANK AND USAA BANK

ARE AT FAULT, AND USAA THE WORST OF THE TWO. THANKS FOR

POSTING THIS AS IT WILL NOT ONLY SERVE AS A WARNING TO THE

PUBLIC BUT HOPEFULLY COSTS BOTH BANKS FUTURE CUSTOMERS

ME FOR ONE

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Phil, very interesting.  I spoke with one of the USAA "resolution" women, after the decision was made in CIBanco's favor. I was very upset. She was very sympathetic, said she could tell from my voice how miserable I felt. But that changed nothing. I'll be calling again. And writing, and so on.

But it can be a weird bank to deal with. After my husband died--he was prime owner on the account, as a retired seaman, US Navy. USAA caters to US military--I received a condolence letter from the bank president three years after his death.

So many people here are naming CIBanco. That's worth noting.  I wonder if it's enjoying its malfunctioning ATM.

6 minutes ago, Lexy said:

Thanks, Phil, very interesting.  I spoke with one of the USAA "resolution" women, after the decision was made in CIBanco's favor. I was very upset. She was very sympathetic, said she could tell from my voice how miserable I felt. But that changed nothing. I'll be calling again. And writing, and so on.

But it can be a weird bank to deal with. After my husband died--he was prime owner on the account, as a retired seaman, US Navy. USAA caters to US military--I received a condolence letter from the bank president three years after his death.

So many people here are naming CIBanco. That's worth noting.  I wonder if it's enjoying its malfunctioning ATM.

My bet is on the person(s) who restock the money in the machines. The local bank has no connection with them at all. In the past they have put 200p notes in the 500p slots, etc. It is a crap shoot if you are the one getting them.

@Lexy

Have you considered going to PROFECO and filing a case?     No cost to you, the gov't does this.      CI Banco will NOT want to deal with that......go to their manager, tell them that is your next step, and that you just want your money that their ATM did not give you.        A fair last chance to CI, then off to PROFECO you go, they have a lot of power to investigate and resolve a wide range of consumer to business issues.  

• Like 2

a hotel in san miguel put one too many zeros on a hotel charge on a usaa credit card, 6500 USD. the hotel caught it and notified my wife but said she would have to dispute it with USAA. the hotel wrote a letter explaining that they were at fault. this was  was disputed and letter sent to usaa. of course they lost all the correspondence and took them 5.5 months to settle in my wifes favor. pathetic service. we use capital one now, far superior company.

• Sad 1