Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala Police

HarryB

Today I was invited to inspect the Chapala police station. Our police are in a dire situation. They are planning a massive recruitment and training campaign, but have no equipment for recruits.

They have 20 surveillance cameras that don't work.

Their computers are a pile of junk. I'm arranging a repairman, but, they need more.

Their vests are the old ones with plate inserts that weigh 50 pounds. They need helmets.
They need chairs,desks, filing cabinets, lockers, fans, shelving, cots, printers,copiers, scanners (There are none)
They need a kitchen -no refrig, no stove, table , chairs
They need uniforms, boots, etc,officers are paying for their own.
They need radios, flashlights

2-3 water coolers

They also need training. Any officer willing to do training while here on vacation would be greatly appreciated. We can arrange accomodations.

If police up north could donate any gear, there are snowbirds coming down who could bring it. I am also affiliated with First Responders assistance group which can ship donations out of Blyth CA.

Yeah been there done that bad experience. My buddy brought down half a dozen handcuffs, a couple of 'Sam Brown's' and some other equipment. At the borderr he was accused of having brought them down to sell and he was strip searched. 3 days later after a buch of crap we were able to go back to the airport to pick up the equipment.

What kind of training do you have in mind that an english speaking person can impart on a spanish speaker? Obviously nothing to do with the law given the vast difference of powers.

I remember that when the current mayor of Chapala was campaigning, he said he was consulting with a former Texas police officer or chief of police re: training for the Chapala police. That officer was bilingual. I think he also said he was looking for more police who were bilingual, so they could address the needs of the expats. He said police training was numero uno on his agenda.

I'm trying to get the exact kind of training needed. They have officers who can act as translators.

I can get a letter from the admin confirming the donation of any equipment. It is one thing to say it, another to have it in writing signed by the admin.

I hate be cynical, but so much money was poured in so many projects like this and nothing much happened.

What has to happen is a change within the whole police and judicial system. And it is not in Lakeside'sgringos power. New boots, chairs, fridges, scanners will not make you and me feel safer here.

But I admire Harry's efforts to make a police station better place to be. No matter how noble his and chief's intentions are, will not change how the crime is handled. Corruption and mordida system is in the Mexican blood. And the hopelessness against the ruthless gangs is sorrow. We are critical of police members being drug gangs associates...but sometimes they have no choice. Cartels recruit with a gun to one's head. The one who has the money rules. And that has to change before there is a safety on the streets. I know I am a world's biggest cynic (and btw critic as well ) and I don't have answers how to change any of it but I do hope that we will see change for better in my lifetime. And I do believe it will happen without foreigners help. Being a good honest cop in Mexico must be the hardest job.

I hope this is not too political comment and can "pass" the board's rules. If it is, please delete. Just my personal view on a reality (which may not be same as others).

If they treat their office equipment like they treat their trucks, the office will be garbage in 6 months. Are the officers not taught to be responsible for their vehicles? No bumpers, no working tail lights, big dents, etc. And why don't officers follow the law and wear seat belts or signal before they turn? And no helmets on the motorcycle transito guys? What a pathetic lack of personal and official responsibility. The chief of police is a bum who doesn't care about his officers and their demeanor reflects that. Sorry, not, for the rant.

You have to admire Harry for his persistence. Unfortunately, this municipio is a disaster. Reading the last GDL Reporter one finds out that the administration that put the place in over its head in debt is none other than the one headed by the brother of the incoming government. According to the Reporter, in one three year administration, the previous Presidente Degollado managed to increase that indebtedness an astounding 776 percent in three years.

Where has all this money gone?

Hard to feel very optimistic about what comes next. Especially after hearing some of the rumors around town that the priority of the new administration seems to be passing out the goodies to the cronies.

And some more announcements of "showcase" projects for Chapala. Hardly a word about bringing back even basic services like street cleaning and street repair to the rest of the municipio.

As bad as it is in Ajijic, just take a look at the total neglect of Riberas by this government.

In the nearly 8 years we've been here we've watched the local government being looted systematically at the same time as the basic services decline to almost nothing along side of the construction of a succession of a few ego-feeding show pieces. Many of which are crumbling for lack of maintenance.

They haven't been able to keep the trash, fire and police forces in good repair but they've been great at planting statues in the water. They did build a skate board park here which as predicted has turned into a graffiti covered eyesore even as it crumbles into uselessness for its intended purpose.

Skating on that thing has become rather like driving in our wall to wall potholed streets.

It's pretty discouraging. Particularly when I ride motos to other municipios that somehow manage to keep things in good order on a fraction of the revenues this one has. We seem to be stuck with one of the absolute worst local governments in the state of Jalisco.

I admire Harry's good intentions but it just seems that they are taken advantage of by these people as an excuse to do even less for Ajijic or any of the other towns outside of Chapala.

I encourage everyone to read the Reporter article this week entitled "Outgoing Mayor Spills Beans On Origins of Financial Hardship." It is a real eye opener.

They can't even keep what the have clean. Have you been in the cells that many of us expats wind up in for a few hours after someone runs into us? The toilet was full of human feces with it running over the rim and up the walls as high has you could reach. The concrete had any kind of human excretion on it that you can imagine. The bathroom for the women police was almost as bad so I don't even want to think what the one for the male officers is like.

They can't even keep what the have clean. Have you been in the cells that many of us expats wind up in for a few hours after someone runs into us? The toilet was full of human feces with it running over the rim and up the walls as high has you could reach. The concrete had any kind of human excretion on it that you can imagine. The bathroom for the women police was almost as bad so I don't even want to think what the one for the male officers is like.

Know someone who spent almost 3 days in the cell ( no toilet) no food just water and slept on floor. Another accident where the other person was at fault. She first refused mordida but final got wore down. Yes interpreter and lawyer present

Is Harry tilting at windmills, fighting a battle that can't be won? Didn't he represent an Ajijic official and wasn't he part of his staff. He says here "I'm trying to get...." and "I was invited to inspect...." Is he all on his own now?

Like Mainecoons, I admire the fact that he'd like to play a helpful role. Is he asking for the foreign community's help here or just informing us? I think too many of us think it's no longer our place to try to help. Did that. Look at the examples that have been cited here on this exchange that have given us cause to be very skeptical of things getting better.

I remember after my car accident where no one was hurt the police told me I was going to go to jail. For some reason, they changed their minds. I cringe when I read the descriptions above of the jail that I almost landed in.

Lexy

The wealthy Tapatios know how the game is played and know that con dinero, baila el perro ; sin dinero, bailas como perro.

Really? Tuesday I have a meeting with the municipal inventory officer. Maybe I'll get some info

Hensley, if you have any of the needed items that don't sell at your yard sales. Could you ask the sellers to donate them. I'll pickup!

I wonder what the wealthy tapatios think about the police situation here at Lakeside, for surely they must have an interest in what goes on around here...since many of them own 2nd homes here. And, on weekends, there are plenty of their grown children who drive to Lakeside for weekends of fun etc. So, do they not care about the corruption here? and do they not want to support improving the police and enforcement here, since they drive on the same roads that we do? why aren't they asked to help make improvements here? Jalisco is their state, and this is their weekend playground...and many of them have a lot more money than a lot of us gringos.

They have those same problems in Guadalajara so no big deal to them.

Folks I get the point and I am sure Harry gets the point about whether giving stuff is good value. We got it. If you don't want to give fine don't BUT many of us support Harry blindly because we trust him and he sees what is missing or needed in our community. I know lakeside is a better place thanks to Harry and his volunteers of which I am one. That's all I need to know. We really do get the points being made here but I am guessing we will continue on our ways and donate again. Whether its fixing potholes or trying to get needed stuff to the police I believe our help is needed. I accept that we might be a little nieve but what is the option if you want to improve things???

The truth is that very little is given and we wring every possible benefit out of every centavo.The bottom line is that it falls to those who will help to do so. What we accomplish is a benefit to all Mexican and expat .

Update on working with the new police Chief:

I have a lead on training out of the US. A couple local resources have come up. I have asked the chief for a list of specific training he needs. We'll take it from there.
The new Tourist police have one member who speaks english. The chief is desperate for ESL lessons. I think LCS will do this for us.
A couple retired police have offered to look in to equipment donations. Shipping could be from First Responders. But, then they need the money to ship.
I have a friend fixing computers and setting up a network for them. We have a meeting tuesday with the municipal inventory person to see what they have.
Dr Pinto has given a CSI kit which is still there. Three more coming next week. There has already a year of training.
We had the idea to give monthly dispensas to officers displaying exemplary service. There are 2 shifts - 10 officers in the station and 50 in the field. The chief is asking for 5-10 dispensas a month. Can we get these from Walmart , Sorianas, Coppell, ? Who has the juice to ask for them and get them?
I'm going to ask Activer, Tom Thompson, and Multivalories about office equipment/ furniture
I'll ask Tom Thompson about kitchen equipment (He is away for 2 weeks)
There is no pure water in the station. Rotary had a person to help?

What about this issue of cleanliness, food and water for those prisoners? Seems to me if we help with supplies and get more people in jail, then what happens to those conditions?

I don't know where the jails are. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Perhaps something could be done to ameliorate those terrible conditions.

Archived