Chapala.com Webboard

Golfcarts and Cops

HarryB

I am being told that the transito cops are targeting people in golf carts. Perhaps Travis can address this as he is in that business and might have suggestions for how people can protect themselves

My suggestions

If you dont see their ID on their chest, immediately ask for it. They are under orders to have their ID displayed at all times

if you are treated inappropriately, LCS has a complaint form. You must be able to ID the Officer

Never give mordida. If they refuse to ticket you and let you go , call the Chapala police at 765-4444

Tickets are half price if paid within a week and can be paid at OXXO

Golf carts are great for planned retirement communities - not the cobblestone roads in Mexico. They are too slow, have no turn signals, can't absorb an impact and have no place on roads travelled by cars - in my opinion. So if they get stopped by the police and confiscated as not meeting legal requirements under the highway traffic get off the police officer's back and stop trying to make Mexico a Florida retirement community!

My understanding is that if your golf cart does not have a license plate on it it is illegal to drive it on the carratera but it's okay to use on the streets off the main drag like your neighborhood...so if you can get to SuperLake from your house by driving through town and La Floresta or Riberas off the carretera you're okay.

Would be curious if anyone else has heard this or if this is an urban legend.

Hi HarryB. Well, I don't know anything about tránsito targeting golf carts. I haven't heard a word about it, and so far none of our customers have had a bad experience.

Having said that, I researched the issue before starting Lake Chapala Golf Carts because I definitely wasn't going to rent golf carts to customers only to then discover they were on the road illegally. All of our carts have a Jalisco license plate and the accompanying Tarjeta de Circulación, so obviously, they have permission to be on the road (with some restrictions). I explain to our customers very clearly where they can and cannot be driven. Our carts are also, by the way, insured.

Now, if someone in one of our carts performs an illegal traffic maneuver (driving in the wrong direction on a one-way street, etc., etc.) then yes, of course they can expect a conversation with a local traffic cop. I advise customers to take the ticket, and I also let them know that if there is any further problem with the officer or something doesn't sound right, they should call immediately and we'll come to help.

There's simply no reason to be intimidated if you're driving a legal vehicle. But if you've done something illegal while driving it, then in my view you've earned and deserve the ticket. So take it. It's usually just a little infraction.

That's about all there is to it in my mind. So I guess my only advice is: make the vehicle legal on the road and drive it in a legal manner.

The officer is allegedly targeting seat belts. Travis, do your carts have seat belts?

No, they don't currently have seat belts, but that could be easily modified if your allegations about the alleged officer allegedly targeting golf carts turn out to be true. Again, I've heard nothing about this until your post here. None of our customers have experienced any difficulties. But thanks for bringing it to my attention.

If you (or any one else) have any kind of specific information about someone having trouble because they weren't wearing a seat belt while driving a golf cart, I would appreciate hearing about the specific incident, otherwise I have to rely on the experience of customers, which so far has been trouble-free. Feel free to call or contact us through the website. Thanks!

Lake Chapala Golf Carts

Golf carts are great for planned retirement communities - not the cobblestone roads in Mexico. They are too slow, have no turn signals, can't absorb an impact and have no place on roads travelled by cars - in my opinion. So if they get stopped by the police and confiscated as not meeting legal requirements under the highway traffic get off the police officer's back and stop trying to make Mexico a Florida retirement community!

If you don't like golf carts, don't drive one but don't tell everyone else what to do.

The officer is allegedly targeting seat belts. Travis, do your carts have seat belts?

Is there a law that golf carts must have seat belts? There isn't for two and three wheel vehicles and I doubt there is for a vehicle as slow as a golf cart. If the officer is threatening a ticket ask him what the law is because no one can find it.

Perhaps, Travis, you might want to have Intercasa or another abogado look up the rules on this. They may consider golf carts differently when plated and operated on public streets. They may consider them as "motor" vehicles and require seat belts.

I hope this idea succeeds, it really has merit IMO. No one should be driving on the interior cobblestone streets at any speed that would make using golf carts unsafe. The congested village centers benefit when people use compact transport like these instead of parking big cars on small streets.

""Now, if someone in one of our carts performs an illegal traffic maneuver (driving in the wrong direction on a one-way street, etc., etc.) then yes, of course they can expect a conversation with a local traffic cop. I advise customers to take the ticket, and I also let them know that if there is any further problem with the officer or something doesn't sound right, they should call immediately and we'll come to help.

There's simply no reason to be intimidated if you're driving a legal vehicle. But if you've done something illegal while driving it, then in my view you've earned and deserve the ticket. So take it. It's usually just a little infraction.""

Sadly Travis many of us have been and are intimidated by the traffic cops..there is no reason that carts drivers will not be treated differently to regular cars drivers if there is a buck to be made...... Merry Christmas Ho Ho Ho

I spoke with one of the victims last night and unfortunately she couldn't identify the officer. She was so intimidated by the threat to impound her cart that she paid 700 pesos. He wanted 2500 according to her. He wouldn't ticket her and wouldn't let her go. Everyone must carry cell phones and call for help if this happens. The transito office is 765 4747 and if the Commandante isn't available call the Chapala police and tell them you are being detained.765 4444 NEVER PAY!!!

No, they don't currently have seat belts, but that could be easily modified if your allegations about the alleged officer allegedly targeting golf carts turn out to be true. Again, I've heard nothing about this until your post here. None of our customers have experienced any difficulties. But thanks for bringing it to my attention.

If you (or any one else) have any kind of specific information about someone having trouble because they weren't wearing a seat belt while driving a golf cart, I would appreciate hearing about the specific incident, otherwise I have to rely on the experience of customers, which so far has been trouble-free. Feel free to call or contact us through the website. Thanks!

Lake Chapala Golf Carts

Having said that, I researched the issue before starting Lake Chapala Golf Carts because I definitely wasn't going to rent golf carts to customers only to then discover they were on the road illegally. All of our carts have a Jalisco license plate and the accompanying Tarjeta de Circulación, so obviously, they have permission to be on the road (with some restrictions). I explain to our customers very clearly where they can and cannot be driven. Our carts are also, by the way, insured.

By researching this issue, does this mean you checked with the chapala transito jeje to see if he felt seat belts were required? As this is a controversial issue in the US, if you haven't checked with him, it seems like it would be something you should do if indeed you want to make a business out of renting them.

I spoke with one of the victims last night and unfortunately she couldn't identify the officer. She was so intimidated by the threat to impound her cart that she paid 700 pesos. He wanted 2500 according to her. He wouldn't ticket her and wouldn't let her go. Everyone must carry cell phones and call for help if this happens. The transito office is 765 4747 and if the Commandante isn't available call the Chapala police and tell them you are being detained.765 4444 NEVER PAY!!!

Harry with respect 90% of us oldies and newbies are intimidated..me included

I understand the intimidation factor involved here. Be assured they are counting on it. Please do not be intimidated. The only authority they have is to issue a ticket if the paperwork is in order.

I truly believe that we may have officers from outside the area coming here on their days off to reap the harvest of gringo money. The two incidents I have been told of were transitos on Constitution in Ajijic and the transitos hardly never come into the village. We must get IDs to respond. From the Governor on down the administration wants tourists treated well!

This is an interesting discussion...and I do agree, lets not make this a 'Florida style retirement community'..but freedom to chose entertainments and business' is still alive and well! Seems to me that Travis has done a good job researching and starting...try not to condemn us all with personal opinions!

Thank you for the good advise and 2 phone numbers...I have them on my cell phone, and its good advice to carry one around here...for safety and most often DIRECTIONS to places where there are no street signs!!

Common sense and being street wise is the best one can do and enjoy this place. Wishing the golf cart business success!!!

Harry with respect 90% of us oldies and newbies are intimidated..me included

I was thinking that with the availability of smartphones and their lower cost, an alert system for the area could be made available. Re: https://blog.twitter.com/2013/introducing-twitter-alerts . This may be something to tie into The Guadalajara Reporter as well.

Please contact me if this is viable and we could firm-up the ideas with others.

A simpler SMS system could also be a possibility.

There is strength in numbers...

None of us is as smart as all of us.

- Japanese proverb

Thanks.

Put signs up around the village instructing people to ask for a ticket and not pay a bribe to the cop. The cops won't like that at all.

Maybe add a phone number to the signs so someone can tell the cop in Spanish to give the ticket and he better not tow anything.

It's taken Travis a while to put this together and I bet he didn't miss a mark.

'Tis the season for exorbitant ticket amounts and uncooperative transitos. Making a stink about it just causes officials to roll their eyes at you and shrug.

It works this way in lots of parts of the US too. Ohio has Appalachia local police and sheriffs who have expectations. In our rather wealthy suburb the holiday season included gifts to the snow removal guy, the lawn service fellows, the mailman, the UPS and Fed Ex people, the local suburban paper delivery kid and the adult with the Sunday city paper route and the car wash fellows. The card with cash to the woman at the dry cleaners, the post office desk, the pharmacy and the grocery loaders etc... these were expectations built over years of culture specific to the area.

It was about a year ago so maybe he did clean up his act as he did not ask me for mordida and did not give me a ticket, just told me he was not going to give me a 600 pesos ticket.I said thank you very much and left.

I did see transitos on the east side of town near where Maincoon lives 2 weeks ago so they are around in the village.

Archived