Chapala.com Webboard

Golfcarts and Cops

HarryB

My Telmex internet and telephone went out the other day, so I'm sitting in a restaurant using their wi-fi to check e-mails. (What do you think the odds are that Telmex will get us back up and running before Christmas? Hardee Har Har.)

While checking e-mail I noticed I received one from a moderator at Chapala.com and have had a post edited and received a warning about advertising via this site, so I guess I can't really add much more than, perhaps, to say I had a discussion with Vialidad long ago. In fact, it's the first thing I checked before deciding to start the business.

I truly believe that we may have officers from outside the area coming here on their days off to reap the harvest of gringo money. The two incidents I have been told of were transitos on Constitution in Ajijic and the transitos hardly never come into the village. We must get IDs to respond. From the Governor on down the administration wants tourists treated well!

I watched one of these on Constitucion last week; it went on for a good 20 minutes. The guy on the 4-wheeler at first feigned no Spanish knowledge, but as it went on and things got more heated (the cop took his license) he got into some pretty good Spanish. I didn't see the beginning, so I don't know what happened to spark this, but the 4-wheeler was facing the wrong direction on that one-way street. Hands were up and flying for the whole discourse.

I recognized the big cop with the moustache from many other encounters. It is that time of year, of course. As far as I could see, no money changed hands, but the cop finally gave the license back, and everyone shook hands and wished the other well. The transito then went back to watching over someone's car mechanic at the corner, doing some work. This was just near #4.

I know the trend on this board is to whine on and on about traffic cops persecuting gringo drivers, but how about some admonishment for all the folks out there breaking the law day after day and then sniveling when they get caught?

Every single time I go out on the road I see expats making illegal turns, running red lights, driving the wrong way on one-way streets and service roads, talking on cel phones, driving around with dogs in their laps, and creating all kinds of hazards like suddenly hitting the brakes and creeping off the road with no warning nor a glance in the rear view mirror.

And how about the ones who admit to tossing out traffic tickets or brazenly ripping them up in the officer's face because they have foreign plates and know there won't be repercussions? Shame on you for giving us all a bad name!

Harry B is absoutely right...NEVER pay a mordida. If you're busted when you commit a violation, man up, take the ticket and pay the fine. It's no big deal, almost always cheaper than paying graft and doesn't contribute to perpetuating corruption. And while you're at it, how about actually thanking the officer instead of berating him for doing his job to protect public safety? It's a refreshing experience for the man on the beat that could do a lot more to win you a friend and end the deeply-rooted practice of the "bite" than whatever is accomplished by spewing out a mouthful of insults.

Wise up people

I know the trend on this board is to whine on and on about traffic cops persecuting gringo drivers, but how about some admonishment for all the folks out there breaking the law day after day and then sniveling when they get caught?

Every single time I go out on the road I see expats making illegal turns, running red lights, driving the wrong way on one-way streets and service roads, talking on cel phones, driving around with dogs in their laps, and creating all kinds of hazards like suddenly hitting the brakes and creeping off the road with no warning nor a glance in the rear view mirror.

And how about the ones who admit to tossing out traffic tickets or brazenly ripping them up in the officer's face because they have foreign plates and know there won't be repercussions? Shame on you for giving us all a bad name!

Harry B is absoutely right...NEVER pay a mordida. If you're busted when you commit a violation, man up, take the ticket and pay the fine. It's no big deal, almost always cheaper than paying graft and doesn't contribute to perpetuating corruption. And while you're at it, how about actually thanking the officer instead of berating him for doing his job to protect public safety? It's a refreshing experience for the man on the beat that could do a lot more to win you a friend and end the deeply-rooted practice of the "bite" than whatever is accomplished by spewing out a mouthful of insults.

Wise up people

I must have missed a lot in the 8 1/2 years that I have been here because I've never witnessed all those violations by expats. I have seen many Mexicans with foreign plated vehicles violating the law.

I've never known of any expats except for one who was rude to the police. I doubt most of us want to push that hard because we are foreigners.

Personally I think you are exaggerating or badly mistaken. Even if foreigners are violating the traffic laws that does not make it OK for the police to accept bribes or threaten to tow vehicles in order to get a bribe.

Sorry Joco, but you're asleep at the wheel. I recognize that expats don't have a monopoly of traffic violations, but I sure see a lot of them executing illegal maneuvers and doing other things behind the wheel that they would never think of doing "back home".

Where did I excuse dirty cops from putting on the squeeze for a bribe? And by the way, under Mexican law it's just as much a crime to pay a mordida as it is to accept one.

As someone who follows this board you must have seen plenty of gripes from people who say "well I did run the red light" or "I wasn't wearing my seat belt" before copping to paying off the officer. Just saying...

Wise up people

With respect I am not sure how long you have been in this area...there are many instances when the tranistos give both national and gringos tickets for going through yellow lights only to say you went through a red light. It is not a gringo thing

Are you aware that the traffic lights at WalMart and the libremento used to be in the center of the libremento.

They were moved more to the west and now if you are driving at the post speed and the light goes to yellow , there is no way you can clear the intersection before the light turns red!!!

There have been many instances when cars have been towed, it is not a fairy tale.

It would be great if the tranistos gave out tickets for illegal parking, having only one light, and as you mentioned talking on a cel phone.

There are plenty of other legitimate reasons for giving a ticket and most people expect to pay a fine IF it is a valid reason

BUT we are in Mexico and regardless what others have said we have to understand that from the top of the tree to its roots, mordida is part of the culture

Sorry Joco, but you're asleep at the wheel. I recognize that expats don't have a monopoly of traffic violations, but I sure see a lot of them executing illegal maneuvers and doing other things behind the wheel that they would never think of doing "back home".

Where did I excuse dirty cops from putting on the squeeze for a bribe? And by the way, under Mexican law it's just as much a crime to pay a mordida as it is to accept one.

As someone who follows this board you must have seen plenty of gripes from people who say "well I did run the red light" or "I wasn't wearing my seat belt" before copping to paying off the officer. Just saying...

I think there are a few expats here who cannot get a drivers license up North and I doubt are licensed here. I think there are bad drivers here just like there are up North but considering the amount of traffic in a small area, there are fewer accidents here compared to the same size traffic area up North. The expats irritate me because they are too cautious, too slow to enter an intersection, too slow to turn, etc. They try too hard to avoid accidents and they have insurance. It is amazing that when you tell a senior that he can be arrested and taken to jail if he has a traffic accident how cautious he will be when he drives.

Maybe there is a correlation between a careful driver and being insured and a careless driver who doesn't have insurance.

My bet is that most of the reckless bad drivers are Mexicans not expats.

I wear a seat belt because I don't want the hassle of a ticket but every accident I was ever in when I was younger, I would have been killed if I had been wearing a seat belt so I don't think a belt is always a life saver. I think one person here has posted that he got a ticket for not wearing a belt. Out of several thousand expat drivers that is not too bad.

Sayaca you are exaggerating-every time you go out!? I've been driving in Mexico since 1987 and by far Mexicans are much more likely to violate the traffic laws than foreigners.

Never been stopped in 6 years but than I have Jalisco plates, proper stickers on windshield, and don't go down streets the wrong way, don't cross yellow lines, and wear my seatbelt. I know some people have been treated unjustly but I would think driving down the street the wrong way one would expect the chances of getting a ticket and should take the ticket and think about why were you stopped and

move on. Seems many of us just don't have problems like others have.

I've seen plenty of people driving the wrong way on a one way but all were Mexicans. They say if it is only half a block it is allowable. I doubt that is true but they believe it. I live on a one way and the Mexicans who need to drive farther than half a block drive backwards so the vehicle is at least facing the right direction.

Most seniors are too cautious to be careless drivers especially since they know they can be arrested if they have accidents.

I also got stopped for parking the wrong way, down past the tianguis on Constitucion. So next time I drove in backwards that 1/4 of a block, and got stopped again. I'll tell you, I'm a lot more careful there now when I drive backwards...

Archived