Chapala.com Webboard

Flying out of Guad with Volaris

Natasha

Hi all.  Direct flight Jan 17/2024.  Will have done on-line check-in.  Only cabin carry-on, nothing checked. Have booked / need wheelchair services.                                                                Volaris on phone tells me I still need to be there 2 hours in advance. 

Is TWO hours really necessary?  ( I do know Volaris is very active this airport, but.....)  Have to plan departure time/arrange driver.     Gracias in advance.

with a wheelchair service, I would get there early just in case.. I do not think it is a big deal i you are there 1h30 before but since it is th high season for the beach , I would allow more time rather than less.  Without luggage you can go jright to the gate bu sometimes the wheelchair is available and sometimes you have to wait a little. There were saying 3 hours last time we flew but that was CHristmas day, Two hours was plenty so it is probably the same thing 1h 30 or a little less should be enough.

• Like 1

The wheelchair is the unknown.  Otherwise 2 hours would be more than enough for a domestic flight. With a wheelchair you will board 1st.

My montra is... just get there early and reduce the stress. Saving 30 minutes by coming later is just not worth it to me.

• Like 1

Sadly the big deal to me is that long sitting------- back hates it, and the wheelchairs are not built for comfort, specially for skinny butts!  Been there several times.  Done it in various airports. And while I certainly can get up and walk, when alone I can't leave my "stuff", plus some people give me suspicious looks.

But you're all correct..... better to be safe than sorry.  Darn!!!

Volaris has the worst ground services I've ever seen in an airline.  From check in to boarding, it is a mess.

Unfortunately they are the only ones who fly direct from GDL to Oaxaca or we'd avoid them like the plague.  Other airlines connect through Mexico City which is a form of Hell all of its own.

Typical Volaris experience coming back from Oaxaca on Tuesday.  After the usual cattle stampede boarding in Oaxaca, actually left on time and arrived a few minutes early in GDL.  Despite literally a dozen unused jetway ports in plain site they park out on the tarmac and we sit.  And we sit.

We sit for 40 minutes waiting to deplane because they managed to not have one of those PIA transfer buses anywhere around.  It was clear the plane crew was pissed but nothing they did seem to matter. 

So Volaris crappy ground service managed to turn a slightly early flight into one that we finally got off the damned plane 40 minutes late.

Our last Volaris flight before this one from Oaxaca was similarly botched.  We all stampede onto the plane seemingly on time we go to the runway for takeoff.  The plane actually starts to takeoff and then aborts.

Turns out the Volaris geniuses in Oaxaca managed to underfuel the plane.  Why the pilot failed to notice he didn't have enough gas before starting to takeoff escapes me but there was yet another 40 minute delay since Volaris couldn't seem to get the fuel truck back expeditiously.

Volaris sucks.  We hate them.  🤬

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Take a cushion of some kind with you.

I would.... but no room.  Carry-on will barely manage for days away.

37 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Volaris sucks.  We hate them.  🤬

Me too.... but ONLY direct-flight option left between GDL and PV.

• Like 1

Sometimes there is no choice if airlines hate or not, i sure hate taking the bus more than volaris because it cut outs time and in my case volaris is cheaper so 26 hours bus

versus 2 hours planes ride that is also at the same price of cheaper..it is a no brainer Volaris wins every time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

I would.... but no room.  Carry-on will barely manage for days away

I use a neck cushion as a cushion in wheelchair and to sleep on plane (if that is even possible).  You wear it instead of carrying it or trying to put it in carry on luggage. Can go around your neck, your arm or hook on purse if you carry one when you aren't sitting on it.  I use one that I purchased at Walmart, sturdy and decent material.  Here is a photo of one that is sold on Amazon to use as a reference.

71PkDSbjcJL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg.da31ac42ed8e07e8f54778c416c6f254.jpg

• Like 3

OK, contrary opinion.

I've flown Volaris to/from Guad from both Denver and Orlando probably 10 times in the last 8 years. Never had a bad flight. Never had anything but courteous personnel. I never check any bags but have never been questioned about the size/weight of my carry-on luggage. Just a lucky guy I guess.

Now their website.... that's another story!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Natasha said:

I would.... but no room.  Carry-on will barely manage for days away.

Me too.... but ONLY direct-flight option left between GDL and PV.

Shame that Almar closed up. They had great direct service to PVR with nice propjets and were always on time and somehow managed to serve a drink to everyone during what was a less than 30 minute wheels up to wheels down flight.

15 hours ago, ibarra said:

I use a neck cushion as a cushion in wheelchair and to sleep on plane (if that is even possible).  You wear it instead of carrying it or trying to put it in carry on luggage. Can go around your neck, your arm or hook on purse if you carry one when you aren't sitting on it.  I use one that I purchased at Walmart, sturdy and decent material.  Here is a photo of one that is sold on Amazon to use as a reference.

71PkDSbjcJL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg.da31ac42ed8e07e8f54778c416c6f254.jpg

It's also great to be able to sleep in a recliner. I recently had two separate hernia surgeries and the doctor suggested sleeping in a recliner the first couple of days and this neck pillow made it very comfortable. Without it you constantly wake up as your head droops, lol.

8 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Shame that Almar closed up. They had great direct service to PVR with nice propjets and were always on time and somehow managed to serve a drink to everyone during what was a less than 30 minute wheels up to wheels down flight.

Yes, the good ole days when air travel was a treat... not a trick!

15 hours ago, johanson said:

The only nonstop flight between GDL and Seattle was and perhaps still is, Volaris. So, I tried them several years ago. It was not an enjoyable experience.

Ditto for Portland.  I agree with the comments about Volaris organization and service.  But, I’d rather get to PDX in 4 - 4-1/2 hours than a 7 - 12 hour transit with a layover.  Fewer moving parts, fewer problems….  I fly Volaris to PDX every three to four months, usually with dog from Bone Voyage.  All have been tolerable.  A big plus, the outbound flight doesn’t kill your entire day, fly out of GDL at 6 pm arrive PDX 9 pm.  The return flight during the week is a red eye, but the Sat/Sun returns depart PDX 2-3pm….

Tip, reserve an isle/window seat in first row or the emergency exit row.  

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Agree!  It was AeroMar and I flew with them last January ( and previously) .