Chapala.com Webboard

Paisanos Coming for the Holidays - Worst Traffic Days?

MakeItSo

Christmastime has always been difficult for land entries. Daylight hours are minimal and it seems that everyone from Mexico is going to the US with similar numbers heading south.

You can get better informed by looking at the bridge cameras at the time of day you think you'll cross and then the border crossing wait times. CBP also has a phone app showing the current wait time.

Assuming you are crossing in the vicinity of Laredo, below are some useful links.

https://www.cityoflaredo.com/departments/bridge-system/bridge-cameras

https://bwt.cbp.gov/

If I am not mistaken, Laredo Bridge I is not commonly used for major vehicle traffic, Sentri only. Bridge II is the major passage bridge and the picture (when I looked at it at 5PM) clearly showed a large backup coming into Laredo from Mexico and 'nothing' going south into Mexico.  Bridge III is the World Trade Bridge, Commercial/trucks only. Bridge IV is commonly referred to by its "Colombia Solidarity" crossing name... the eazi-peazy crossing.

https://bwt.cbp.gov/ViewAllPorts.html?com=1&pas=1&ped=1&plist=2304  

(but remember, these are coming INTO the US, not going into Mexico which is what the OP was asking about).

A couple of years ago I crossed north at Del Rio about 4-5 days before Xmas.  There was a miles long backup for people needing paperwork at Allende, and hundreds of people waiting in line.  CBP closed the crossing  going into Mexico because traffic was so bad in Ciudad Acuna it was backed up on the bridge.  On my way north I saw huge backups at the toll booths for people driving south.

A little over a decade ago it took 7+hours to get a TIP at Colombia the day before Xmas.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:34 AM, Toyhauler 4u said:

A couple of years ago I crossed north at Del Rio about 4-5 days before Xmas.  There was a miles long backup for people needing paperwork at Allende, and hundreds of people waiting in line. 

That was the same experience I had in Laredo a few years back on Omnibus.  A couple of days before Christmas and we were stuck in traffic so far from the US border I could not even see the bridge crossing.  The bus driver stood up and said the wait would be about 14 hours but he could call a cab and the cab driver would take us to the US via a short cut.  Myself and four others went for it.  In a few minutes the cab came driving against incoming traffic in the other lanes to pick us up.  In about 5 minutes he drove thru a tunnel and then we arrived at a lone CBP booth at the Laredo crossing.  No wait, we were the only vehicle.  Flash the passport and boom we are in the USA.  200 Pesos.  What a deal.   😁

12 hours ago, Kiko said:

That was the same experience I had in Laredo a few years back on Omnibus.  A couple of days before Christmas and we were stuck in traffic so far from the US border I could not even see the bridge crossing.  The bus driver stood up and said the wait would be about 14 hours but he could call a cab and the cab driver would take us to the US via a short cut.  Myself and four others went for it.  In a few minutes the cab came driving against incoming traffic in the other lanes to pick us up.  In about 5 minutes he drove thru a tunnel and then we arrived at a lone CBP booth at the Laredo crossing.  No wait, we were the only vehicle.  Flash the passport and boom we are in the USA.  200 Pesos.  What a deal.   😁

Great story.  Tunnel in in Nuevo Laredo?  Where?  Lone CBP booth Where?

There are 3 bridges between Nuevo Laredo and Laredo. The World trade bridge trucks only. Bridge one  ending by the mall and Bridge 2 the big one ending at the I35 connection. .  

• Haha 1

I've been watching photos and wait times for Laredo Bridge II for the last couple of weeks. Other than early morning or late night the bridge has been full of cars waiting to enter the US with wait times well above average. Traffic back into Nuevo Laredo is non-existent until 5 or 6pm every day. 

I'm wondering where all these cars are going, lining up every day for the long wait at customs. Sure, there are those going to Laredo for the day and then returning but that would only constitute an hour or 2 per morning hour consistent with the line of cars returning to Mexico in the evening. 

When spending the night in Laredo, a detour to Columbia and then a loop back to Laredo takes 75-90 minutes so that really isn't a viable option. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiko said:

Not accurate to call it a tunnel, more like we went under the public roadway. I remember there were no cars in line at the bridge so no wait.  It was a standalone CBP booth with no others nearby.

Probably what he did was take Bridge I into Laredo. "Going under the public roadway" could have been going under Bridge II on Av. Luis Donaldo Colosio to reach the Mexican side of Bridge I. Bridge 1 is not the normal route across... became a SENTRI only crossing about 5 years ago. A local taxi would qualify to cross there but not the bus. 

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Probably what he did was take Bridge I into Laredo. "Going under the public roadway" could have been going under Bridge II on Av. Luis Donaldo Colosio to reach the Mexican side of Bridge I. Bridge 1 is not the normal route across... became a SENTRI only crossing about 5 years ago. A local taxi would qualify to cross there but not the bus. 

It's been 12 years or more, but that seems to be about right.  The bus driver was the one who announced it was a 14 hour backup and there more than a dozen buses ahead of ours.  Some passengers removed their luggage and started walking toward the US.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 7:49 AM, Usvetsinmexico said:

Its so much easier to just hire a company and not a person. Switched to a cleaning company and after all the vacation bonuses and such it was cheaper to pay a company and much less hassle

What cleaning company?  Contact info?  Prices?  Experience?

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: We crossed on the morning of Sunday the 17th at the Colombia bridge. It was busier than I've ever seen (never crossed around this time of year). There was not a single parking space left, people waited in cars in vicinity of the parking area, blocking the road, until space became available. There were several buses chock full of people too. The lineup extended outside the building. It moved rather quickly seeing as it only took us about 2.5 hrs to process entry (thought it would be half-a-day at least).

An additional note: Guessing because it was so busy the red-green light system was abandoned and nobody was around to check what you were bringing into the country...

I hope it helps. 

IMO  There is a logical reason why the "busier than I've ever seen".  Here is why:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/20/us/us-mexico-border-analysis-cec/

In the past few weeks, the Biden administration has closed ports of entry to pedestrians or vehicles in Eagle Pass, Texas; Lukeville, Arizona; and San Ysidro, California.

On Sunday, officials announced they’d also be temporarily shutting down international railway crossings in Eagle Pass and El Paso.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ibarra said:

IMO  There is a logical reason why the "busier than I've ever seen".  Here is why:

In the past few weeks, the Biden administration has closed ports of entry to pedestrians or vehicles in Eagle Pass, Texas; Lukeville, Arizona; and San Ysidro, California.

On Sunday, officials announced they’d also be temporarily shutting down international railway crossings in Eagle Pass and El Paso.

Gotta cross somewhere, only so many options now.  Also, some people go south from NOB for the week before Christmas and after Christmas.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, ibarra said:

Its because Biden let the boarder get the worst in usa history. Everyone thank him for all his great work at destroying the usa mexico boarder by not controlling it.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Trump got his chance. He built 85 miles. The border is 1950 miles long.

If we didn't hand them 5k usd free living quarters, free food, and VA health care while vets stand in line behind them maybe they wouldn't come! Oh and we could refuse entry and deport them. These are the nicest dressed refugees I have ever seen. Add in the cell phones some how they can all affird. We don't have to take them. Give them a line way trip back home.