Chapala.com Webboard

Flu vaccine for seniors

sm1mex

I HOPE I'm allowed to bring this up...... mods?  I read (Mx news) 2 weeks ago that Mexico will be offering boosters.... seniors and other risky categories first in line (hoping to role them out in conjunction with flu shots).  BUT... and this is a HUGE biggie IMO...... they will either be ( depending on what arrives in any area) Russian (Sputnik) or Cuban (forget the name)  neither of which is (1) approved by WHO, and (2) effective against new variants.

His beneficence agreed that people always have a choice ( quite a reversal from earlier in pandemic statements) that if "people" ( thinking doctors, clinics, ???) want to purchase and import and sell vaccs' like Pfizer and Moderna, there's nothing to stop them.  SO... since NO WAY is an ineffective unapproved shot going into MY body, will certainly appreciate if anyone learns where one can PAY to get a decent one.  Price won't be cheap, but cheaper than getting to NOB and back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Natasha said:

On Guad news this a.m. they were interviewing Dr. Petersen, Jalisco's Health minister.  I'm almost positive I heard him say this year's flu vacc will be quadrivalent.

The Federal Commission for the Protection Against Health Risks (Cofepris) approved a new influenza vaccine in Mexico, which promises that it will work mainly for adults over 65 years of age .

The active ingredient is called Fluzone HighDose Quadrivalent and is produced by Sanofi Aventis De Mexico. Without giving more details, Cofepris authorized its use and it is possible that it will be implemented towards the influenza season, which normally begins between October and November and lasts for half a year.

This is what we know about the new flu vaccine

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States (CDC) points out that the doses of the Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent vaccine, approved by Cofepris , are possibly more potent than the normal ones used year after year.

The health agency points out that the active ingredient “contains four times the amount of antigen than standard-dose influenza vaccines .”

In other countries around the world , this vaccine is given priority over the standard one for older adults because “they could be more effective.

Its use is recommended mainly in older adults, and in the United States it is not approved for use in people under 65 years of age .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paid better attention to news in my car.  He definitely aid this one will be quadrivalent because of all the other respiratory things lurking around this fall.  He didn't make an age distinction, but I'm sure, MostlyLost,  your info will be taken into consideration.