Chapala.com Webboard

Rip-off at ATM

Lexy

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but......

Years ago we used the CIBanco ATM for cash a lot. Our cards were from Bank of America.  Then I shifted the working account to USAA and we started using those debit cards.  Or trying to.  The USAA cards were never accepted at the CIBanco ATM.  When I complained to USAA they said that that ATM was not "registered" with USAA.  They sent me a list of acceptable ATMs and we just quit dealing with CIB.  

This was quite a few years ago, when Laguna Mall was brand new, so I would have hoped things had changed.

• Thanks 1

after reading the post about the CI banco problem, my wife and i went to HSBC. i put in my SCHWAB card and it worked just fine. then my wife put in her SCHWAB card, same machine, it took the card and kept it and no transaction, tried cancelling and that didnt work. so her card was gone, to say she was unhappy is an understatement. came home and called schwab, 3 days later fed ex drives up with the new card.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wanderer said:

after reading the post about the CI banco problem, my wife and i went to HSBC. i put in my SCHWAB card and it worked just fine. then my wife put in her SCHWAB card, same machine, it took the card and kept it and no transaction, tried cancelling and that didnt work. so her card was gone, to say she was unhappy is an understatement. came home and called schwab, 3 days later fed ex drives up with the new card.

Would have been better if it delivered a new ATM machine,  maybe the old machine recognized you wife was going to have a good time 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, artsnob said:

What ATM machine gives 1000 notes??

The Scotia bank was a few months back. Not sure if they continue to do so as a lot of people don't like them. 

Edit:

If they do, can you report it back here, please?

Edited by Whipstock
To add request

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 7:38 AM, Lexy said:

I used an ATM recently at CTBanco.

Below is the letter of what happened, published in the current Guadalajara Reporter.

Michael Forbes, editor
Guadalajara Reporter
Dear Editor:

I used an ATM in Ajijic and got no cash. And things went downhill fast.

On May 11, I used a CIBanco ATM in Ajijic to withdraw $10,500 pesos from my USAA checking account with a debit card. The requested receipt slid out showing a $10,500 withdrawal. But no cash appeared.

CIBanco brushed me off, saying to report the incident to my bank. I  reported the matter to USAA. A USAA dispute resolution team received from CI Banco what it called documentation that $10,500 was received.

USAA showed me CI Banco's "documentation" upon which USAA based its decision in favor of CI Banco. I couldn't make any sense of it. I saw nothing that had anything to do with my complaint, no numbers corresponding, etc. Nevertheless, USAA deducted $607.79 USD from my USAA checking account, apparently reimbursing CI Banco.

In deciding in favor of CI Banco, USAA, in effect, found  it plausible that the ATM that day issued $10,500 pesos, that I got it, and am now claiming I didn't in order to get it again. It's ludicrous.

I am 91 years old. I have no history of robbing banks. In fact, it is devastating to lose the $10,500 pesos that I expected to use to cover my growing medical bills along with basic monthly expenses.

Clearly, USAA failed in its responsibility to me, as I told them in subsequent communications, written and verbal. 
Which so far got me nowhere.

ATM no-cash incidents happen; however the ones I've heard about have been resolved to the ATM-users' satisfaction. Nevertheless, ATM users are at risk with certain banks with malfunctioning ATMs.

What will become of my efforts to regain the $607.79 USD I lost to a bank with a malfunctioning ATM? Not even the Shadow knows.

Thetis Reeves

LEXY

It has happened twice to me. I could hear the machine twirling away. It finally stopped and no money. I also complained with USAA and they won. I started using my cell video. No problems just delete when done. It happened again. This time I had a video that it never dispensed the money even though it gave the receipt. I showed them everything from selecting the money, everything including the screen going back to the next customer.

It was still a huge inconvenience waiting. But they credited my account pretty quick after getting the video. I hope they told the Mexican bank. Maybe they will think twice before they do it again. At least take them off the advertised Atm network. 

I noticed the new software in the ATM at HSBC but initially there was no difference. Then when I declined the conversion rate it immediately returned my card and canceled the transaction. I tried again with same result. My bank statement showed the two transactions and both reversals. Anyone else with this experience? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

I noticed the new software in the ATM at HSBC but initially there was no difference. Then when I declined the conversion rate it immediately returned my card and canceled the transaction. I tried again with same result. My bank statement showed the two transactions and both reversals. Anyone else with this experience? 

If accurate this is not good news!  You say 'new software'.  What do you mean... other things different or just the return of your card with no pesos? 

I haven't had any problems at any of the HSBC ATM's regarding choosing "decline" when using a non HSBC card.  I make sure to click on otra transacción or whatever it actually says to continue and not have to start over.   Not sure what she means by "new software" either.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

Did you try one of the other ATM's there?   If there is no cash in the ATM sometimes you can go through the whole process and then it is cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

Yes, I tried a different machine the second time with exactly the same result. When I hit "decline" my card was returned instantly. 

sunny, just exploring this...

There is actually a question that comes up first asking (paraphrasing) "Do you except paying us a fee of X pesos to use the ATM".  IF declined, the ATM will shut one down and return one's card. If one says 'yes' then they will proceed with the transaction and the NEXT(?) question about acceptance is about accepting/declining the bank's conversion rate. Previously if one declines this rate the ATM will just proceed to the (good) rate.

Could it have been THIS initial question that you declined?

Absolutely not. I've been using this machine for 10 years. That's why I recognized the new software. First screen tells you the bank fee. Then continuing you get the screen with the conversion rate. The new software has a lot of red. The screens are basically the same but slightly different. Usually upon hitting the decline button the cash pops out and the screen asks if you want to terminate or make another transaction. I'll repeat...my card popped out as soon as I hit decline. Screen stated transaction cancelled. I suspect that if I had hit accept then my pesos would have been delivered. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

It has happened twice to me. I could hear the machine twirling away. It finally stopped and no money. I also complained with USAA and they won. I started using my cell video. No problems just delete when done. It happened again. This time I had a video that it never dispensed the money even though it gave the receipt. I showed them everything from selecting the money, everything including the screen going back to the next customer.

It was still a huge inconvenience waiting. But they credited my account pretty quick after getting the video. I hope they told the Mexican bank. Maybe they will think twice before they do it again. At least take them off the advertised Atm network. 

Wow! My fight goes on with USAA for deciding in favor of CIBanco and debiting my checking account $607USD presumably reimbursing CIBanco (for the money I never got from their machine!). The resolution Team ay USAA seem to be morons.

Was this recently, your complaint to USAA? I'm sending you a PM.

Lexy