Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Fiber

Remind me....  is Telmex slowly but surely replacing all copper/DSL with fiber?  Even without ordering it? From Jocotopec to Chapala or just specific spots/areas?

Anyone have it  'around' Villa Lucerna area?

We had to order it but the changeover was quick and easy and it works better.  Since we had a dedicated second phone line just for internet, it is actually costing less.  We ordered the cheapest 50 mb speed (getting about 34) and that works absolutely fine for our TV streaming and light computer work.

The DSL was getting less and less reliable.  It didn't seem to concern them much.

• Thanks 1

Telmex upgraded a lot of areas where they had DSL to VDSL.  Where they didn't, the remaining DSL is getting changed to fiber.   But I think the  VDSL areas are too recent a capex to trash them and change to fiber, maybe with some exceptions.  Competition is fierce, they can't ignore it either. 

• Like 1

Yes, through the years there are as many versions of "DSL" as 'Carter has little liver pills'!  The problem Lakeside is trying to determine what version your casa has or what might be available on your block or neighborhood. And what shape the copper wiring/connections are in along the way. 

And, yes, competition is always good... especially when having to work with the likes of a Telmex!  Had it not been for iLox (thank you Tom!) and then Totalplay, I wonder if they would YET be offering fiber here except 'under the sheets' to support VDSL. And I agree that a good VDSL connection is plenty fine to support what most Lakesiders want to achieve with their Internet connection.

P.S.  Still looking to hear of any experience with fiber (or good VDSL) out west of Ajijic in the Villa Lucerna area.  

I had to Google "Carter liver pills" haha.

I have friends near you that have total play and are happy with their service. 

Edit: I realize you asked about Telmex and not Totalplay, but fiber optic is fiber optic (unless you are concerned about keeping a land line number)

Edited by Whipstock
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rick, I have had Telmex Fibre installed as a back up plan to total play for a couple of months now. I too opted for the 50mB service and am getting almost what I pay for. Its pretty reliable, but admit to using it as a back up plan to my main service, Total play; and as a dedicated service for file uploads. I am north of the highway just above the Tuesday Market.

• Thanks 1

According to the Telmex website, the $349 service supports up to 60 mbps download while the $549 service supports up to 300 mbps. No mention is made of upload speeds. The former gets 100GB of cloud storage and the latter gets 300GB.

Now what is actual reality on the ground.... I don't know. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I am paying for 300 and just got 13. Complaining to Telmex does nothing.

Remember...it's UP TO 300 with no minimum guaranteed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

I am paying for 300 and just got 13. Complaining to Telmex does nothing.

Find a Telmex repair person and have them come to your house.  Call 800 number and report your problem.  In my experience, dealing with people at Telmex office in Ajijic is pointless.  We have had the best luck with a repair person coming to our home whom we contacted by finding him working near our home.

• Like 3