Chapala.com Webboard

What can you tell me about your neigbourhood?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our friend is selling his house in Los Arrayanes for $243,000. This is just beyond the Jocotepec sign, before the fish restaurants on the carretera. One level, lake view, nice lap pool. Look for it on the Coldwell or MLS sites. This is a nice quiet and safe area, although we have more construction going on this year. In the same area you might also want to look at Laguna Vista or the new project to be called el Ahuilote, I believe. Most of these will also sell lots and build to your specifications.

Pete

On 4/11/2016 at 3:28 PM, JayBearII said:

There are so many varied options here, one is well-advised to rent in several places before choosing. I did not do that. I bought in lower Chula Vista when I first came here; that's a fracc, which has some advantages, akin to zoning in the US--i.e., no one is going to build a factory next to your house. Now I live west of Ajijic in La Canacinta in a small condo development (about 12 condos), across from a horse ranch and adjacent to a cactus vivero, very quiet, and I enjoy being in a mixed-income family neighborhood, with easy walking distance to the Lake. Some of my neighbors have 2nd floor views of the Lake, even tho we are a 10-minute walk from the Lake. IMO, it is very important to determine your gotta-haves vs. your might-likes. Me, I was from New England, so I said I had to have at least one tree, some grass and flower beds. Been here almost 10 years, and that is still what I want--altho one-floor living, which I also demanded, is a VERY good idea--one never knows when one will not be able to "do" stairs. Especially give the uneven cobblestones here, which make it very easy to fall on your nose.

I also live in La Canacinta  and agree with the above, although I live down the street, closer to the water.

While renting is a good idea, we found our home after spending a month in Ajijic... We opted for a view home in West Ajijic in a small gated community of 7 homes... There are a number of homes available in adjacent communities (Arroyo Sud, Arroyo Alta) one level, with views...Be sure to check HOA dues... They can be a "gotcha"...

El Parque is a totally North American gated community. If one wants to enter into the Mexican world and community, this would not be a good choice. 

So it is all foreigners...it is a good location if you do not want a car and want to walk to shopping area. Some people do not want to be in a Mexican neighborhood , this is why Lakeside is so popular, you can pick what type of area you want to live in.. If you do not want to see foreigner I can think of a lot of places you can go to but then you should not move anywhere to Lakeside.

By the way being the only foreigner in a place can be pretty lonely for some people who do not speak Spanish and cannot learn it.

Often I find myself in areas  for a week or so where very few people speak Spanish ..even  less English and communication is slow and painful and you are pretty much cutoff if you are not really outgoing. There are pluses and minuses to everything.

38 minutes ago, garmemorial said:

In addition to being Gods waiting room You must speak Canadian

A bit of an exaggeration, IMHO.  I know only two people who live there: they are both active artists and neither one is Canadian. I went to a get-together there and it looked like a pleasant place to live, especially if one is concerned with security. From casual observation, most of the foreigners in Lakeside are already in "God's waiting room", no matter where they're living.:D

1 hour ago, bmh said:

By the way being the only foreigner in a place can be pretty lonely for some people who do not speak Spanish and cannot learn it.

Except for a Chinese family I'm the only foreigner for miles around.

It's funny,when the Chinese lady goes to the corner market the owner has to write down the amount she owes because she doesn't speak any Spanish...

Guest bennie2

where ever you live, check for yapperdogs. they are in general small, nervous, not always attactive. dog free is the way to go. those in the waiting room sure create alot of noice.

Both Chapala Haciendas and Brisas de Chapala are pleasant and some houses have great views.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are an assortment of dog and cat "rescuers" (the clinical name is collector or hoarder) in some of the neighborhoods. They have many dogs or cats that can cause quite a racket. Drive by the property in he evening with your radio on and windows down - you will easily determine the noise level if it is going to be a problem.

Guest bennie2

think the problem here is only 2 dogs & have no idea why it has escalated. its that high pitched barking. more in the mornings & afternoons than @ night. goes on for 3 hours, sometimes 2 xs a day. i blame the owners. 

22 hours ago, bmh said:

unfortuantely or fortunately people come and go so a very quiet neighborhood can become noisy at the drop of a hat..

My neighborhood was pretty quiet for 8 years,then a couple of single middle aged women started collecting stray barkers and yappers,now it's not so quiet...

Brisas de Chapala.  Many lakeview and mountain view homes/lots.  We have both views.  Dues are 750 per month which includes water.  Electricty is rural so it's less expensive than in a city.  No pool or other amenities.  Highway traffic noise may be a problem depending on where you live.  Great board and new administrator.  Takes 7 minutes to get to Walmart,  20 to the airport.  We love it here.  

It hasn't been mention yet because it is " The best kept secret at Lakeside "

Los Galapagos, A 3 iron shot from Vista del Lago/Chapala Country Club Same distance to Chapala/Ajijic as Brisas and Haciendas. It's on the lake side of the main road and extends down to the lakes edge where you can sit on the sea wall and watch the fishermen, water birds and fish jumping to your hearts content. All properties have good titles, frac. fees at $7,500  pesos per year. All older homes have been remolded, only one not occupied, 3 new homes going up and two others for sale. This is a great community on the move upwards. If you don't like the noise, sometimes horrendas, of the near village life and would rather watch hummingbirds do their dancing above their swimming pool images with a cool margarita then this is one to definitely consider. A car would be best but not impossible. Good luck in your shopping my friend as Lakeside is truly an adventure worth living. The host of this web page is a realtor. Give ( Richard ) him a shot in helping.

We have lived here for 9 years - 3 in Ajijic and the last 6 in Chapala Haciendas. We wanted a rural setting but still close to town and a larger piece of property. We pay 550 pesos per month which includes water and trash pickup twice a week. The maintenance crew takes care of the roads, any water leaks in the roads and changing street lights. For the most part it is very quiet. Once in a while there is a family party but usually stops around 12:00. We have a new BOD president and most of the Board is new with the exception of one or two. We have an office manager that is available for any issues that may arise.

There is an annual pot luck dinner where you can meet other neighbors or not. We are very happy here and love the rural setting and the arroyo, especially during the rainy season. Plenty of pine trees and some very beautiful magnolia trees. You should drive around at different times of the day if you have not already.  Good luck with your decision.

Archived