Chapala.com Webboard

Property tax increases for 2015

Intercasa

You must have blinked, taxes go up every year period, look back over your old statements...plus water does not come cheap, I wonder how much that will increase ???..incidentally politicians do not steal money it just happens to vanish...

If you live in town and not in a Fracc, the water is not expensive.

The past presidente in Joco walked out with backhoes, computers, anything wasn't nailed down. It is amazing this happened for so many years until a law was passed to stop it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have no "standard" to measure against, be it good, bad, then you can't honestly consider whether you're being ripped off or properly served and I think most of us, local folks included, would agree we're not being properly served. Some people up here NOB whine that EU are paying stupid amounts per gallon of gas due to their taxation etc. - does that mean we should roll over and expose our tender sides?

Now, increasing the tax is a good thing, IF and only IF, it brings requisite services with it, if it's simply to line the pockets of the pols - no. And, while this board is about MX, you just saw NOB a nationwide sweep of tax greedy state governors removed, there's a message there.

Just like prices going up for all of us, prices are going up for Chapala as well. An increase in taxes doesn't necessarily mean Chapala has hit the Jackpot. Those of you that expect demand more service for more taxes may be forgetting this.

If you live in town and not in a Fracc, the water is not expensive.

The past presidente in Joco walked out with backhoes, computers, anything wasn't nailed down. It is amazing this happened for so many years until a law was passed to stop it.

Last year I paid 1,400pesos for water, slightly more than my Chapala tax bill..how do you measure high or low cost compared to Fracc living

I agree that Texas schools are better than Mississippi (nice way to put it), but not by much as you infer. And the government's attempts to change and distort scientific facts and historical facts in their textbooks to children are almost criminal. Shame on Texas Republicans and shame on Texas for voting for these lackeys of big corporations.

Last year I paid 1,400pesos for water, slightly more than my Chapala tax bill..how do you measure high or low cost compared to Fracc living

You paid a little over $200 USD for a year's worth of water and taxes. In Texas more than a decade ago, the bill was $40 a month just for water and trash pick-up. Mexico is still a bargain.

I've heard friends in some Fraccs complain that their water bills are about $400 pesos a month.

Let's see now....7 acres, 300 degree view of the lake, 2500 square feet of house and casita....and HORRORS we paid 550 pesos for property tax last year in Jocotepec municipality. Are you telling me they have the audacity of raising that to 650 pesos?? I might lose sleep over this. I might actually have to cut back on my 20 peso tacos at the plaza...

Mainecoons: I toId Jocotepec that you were unhappy with the condition of the bypass...which was paid for by State Funds and does not belong to this municipality, and they aIso suggested you contact your good friends in Texas for some spare bIacktop. They wish they could give you better service but you haven't volunteered to heIp....

Your continued compIaints about your IocaI government do not seem to have any impact on them anymore than my displeasure with some of the Iong deIays on finishing their roadways seems to have any impact on Texas.

Fred I can't figure out why you are participating in the discussion of Chapala's huge property tax jump when it doesn't apply to you. We're all glad you are pleased with your municipality and BTW when are you all going to clean up all that graffiti in your town?

I know of no long delays in finishing any roads in Texas. If you aren't making this up, feel free to enlighten us. Texas has by far the best roads in America and they keep getting better. You sure can't say that about Jalisco.

Also, please cite your source about the bypass as when it was taking forever to get built in the usual shoddy manner that was blamed on Joco municipality.

The quality of the black top used here, after the usual theft, is of such poor quality and so badly applied that Texas wouldn't even use this stuff on the alley behind houses.

Joco isn't the topic here, the huge percentage increase is in Chapala which has crappy services and rampant corruption for your tax dollar.

I believe the hospital was built with Federal funds, no?

Maybe you all could get them to patch the huge potholes on the bypass? :)

The OP mentioned the increases in several municipios, including Jocotepec, not just Chapala.

Chapala is the only one with a 37 percent increase, despite the fact that their tax base is obviously richer.

Our taxes have gone up a minimum of 8 percent for the past three years and now this. Where's the money going? It sure isn't going into services.

I see your point.

Sell and move to a better town, Jocotepec. We have everything.

And, as I recall from driving across Texas a few years ago, Texas freeways compare poorly with the Mexican autopistas.

Whatever you are smoking has affected your memory and perception. Better cut back. LOL

To help your return to reality may I suggest a ride on that wonderful two lane without shoulders and pavement like a washboard cuota on the south side of San Luis Potosi for only $10. My next suggestion for a reality check would be the Mex 15 cuota out of GDL.

BTW have you noticed how many of those toll roads are two lanes and cost more to ride on than the price of gas?

:)

Still waiting for Fred's list of all those incomplete Texas road projects that aren't being worked on full time.

I checked the latest school ratings because I didn't quite see it the way Mainecoons did, particularly because of the Texas "textbook" rules.

Texas ranked 12!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/04/wallethub-education-rankings_n_5648067.html

Well it is true I don't get my information from either the Puffington Post or something called Wallethub.

:D

Mainecoons....I have chosen not to respond to your bitter arguments re> Mexico and the wonders of Texas. When an obvious angry dog moves towards me...I do not challenge it....I try to back away...in your case you just keep on moving towards me.....I won't challenge you...the street, unprepared and unrepaired as you claim it is.....is left to you. You may bark and growl as you please. I do not believe you have changed very many minds. Most of us here are relatively happy and I know that I am content with my life...I sincerely hope you find peace living in the nirvana that you seem to be seeking!

Fred, I simply asked you to document your assertion. Instead, I get a rant. That rather leaves me feeling that you can't back up what you wrote.

I'm very happy here, I'm just not delusional about the condition of Mexican roads or the quality of the services we receive from Chapala for our rapidly escalating property taxes.

Thanks anyway.

:D

I think most of this is irrelevant. It's the size of the increase that is untenable, regardless of the amount. Look, 14 pesos for a bag of Hershey chocolate balls is not much, until you consider that it was previously 11p. That's around a 30% hike overnight. That's ridiculous. Whiskas: 69 to 79 at WalMart (still 67 at SuperLake) for a 1.5K bag. That's what, 15%? Who are they trying to kid? So what if it's still cheap? How much business would I get if I suddenly raised my rates 15 or 30%? There's no cost-of-living consideration for this property tax.

As for not seeing tax increases, how quickly we forget... only two years ago, people on this board were humming about their taxes having sky-rocketed after being told at payment time "the plane flew over and shows us you have more lot/construction size than being charged..." some folks saw whopping increases, many of whom fought and got reductions.

Hear, after just one moment of searching, I found former state road from Falfurrias north and south has been under construction since 1991 when it became, due to lack of state funds, proposed I 69. It has been stated that many sections are still poorly marked with steep drop offs when attempting to use returns and two overpasses were 300-% over budget. Graffiti is visible on the walls of several unfinished retaining walls as well as on some newly installed signs.

US 183 had to be designated a toll road because Texas would not or could pay to complete it. It is still in need of several off ramps.

This of course has nothing to do with local taxes or bullies or angry bloggers but is offered in lieu of further communications.

Uh Fred, I just drove that road. I drive it twice per year from McAllen to I37. It is in near perfect condition. They are gradually converting it to Interstate level since 1991. At Falfurias, they just opened a complete through bypass build to Interstate standards right through the middle of town. The entire road is a four lane road and very fast. It has Interstate level speed limits.

It has been a four lane road and very well maintained for many, many years. It's not high on the priority list for upgrading because it is lightly traveled and very good already. Still, the few towns remaining on it are being bypassed steadily. The Falurias project involved a lot of overpasses but was still finished in about two years. And the work is absolutely superb, unlike, for example, the Joco bypass which started falling apart before it was even opened.

And how long did it take them to put up that little bridge at the end of it? I recall at least two years.

US 130 is a toll road as it is an optional bypass to Austin, where six to 8 lane I 35 is free. Toll 183 is a local bypass to free 183 on the west side of Austin. Currently, there is a plan to pay off the 130 toll road bonds and make it free to divert more traffic from I 35. You don't have to pay the toll and we usually don't since we drive through there during non rush hour. During rush hour, one is definitely advised to pay the toll which, BTW, is significantly cheaper than one of these sorry and pricey two lane cuotas here. The Austin bypass 130 is a state of the art highway posted at 85 miles per hour.

Texas has been building local commuter relief routes as toll roads for some time now. Texas is one of the few places that actually drops the tolls when the road is paid for. This is what they did for I30 in DFW.

I hope you can come up with something better than this. :D

I don't claim to comment on the quality of services in Jocotepec. If you are happy with them I am happy for you. I recall you weren't always very happy about your choice of Jocotepec and now you are so I'm also happy for you about that.

A number of Chapala municipio people including those who really are plugged into the system like Harry aren't any more thrilled with the services than we are. Respectfully, I think we who live with this truly bad local government probably know more about it than you do.

I would add that the services from Chapala have gotten worse every year right along with the escalating taxes. When we moved here, there were sufficient municipal workers to keep the town relatively free of trash. The streets were repaired regularly. The trash trucks all worked. As Harry will inform you, we basically have no workers now from the municipio. There are a half dozen old potholes around me alone. And you know about how they can't manage to keep the trash trucks running.

BTW Fred, if your services are so good why does your municipio need an 18 percent tax increase in one year?

I have no opinion about Texas roads but California roads are fine. Their property taxes are obscene, however.

What we have in Mexico are some good roads, some bad, and some local streets so gawdawful after the rains that you nearly lose your lunch from the potholes. If the politicos can somehow resist the temptation to appropriate the increased funds from the increased property taxes into mystery land, and instead have the needed work done, I won't mind paying up. If they don't, there isn't a thing I can do about it, but hope springs eternal.

Archived