Chapala.com Webboard

Property tax increases for 2015

Intercasa

The state of Jalisco has approved property tax increases for the majority of municipalities, Chapala will have one of the largest increases which will be 37%, Jocotepec 18%, Guadalajara 8.81% and Zapopan will remain the same.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ajijic is within the municipality of Chapala

37% is a rather staggering increase. Any chance the authorities will be persuaded to back off on it? What is their rationale for such a huge increase? Trying to pay off the Chapala municipal debt?

What is the amount of a typical property tax bill for, say, a home purchased for $150,000 USD?

From what I've heard it was a staggering $150 dollars a year before the increase so now I assume it will be a little over $200 in Chapala. Almost as bad as the $2500 a year you would pay in a state like Texas. Big deal, and people want to know what additional services they will get for that extra money.

From what I've heard it was a staggering $150 dollars a year before the increase so now I assume it will be a little over $200 in Chapala. Almost as bad as the $2500 a year you would pay in a state like Texas. Big deal, and people want to know what additional services they will get for that extra money.

While I truly agree with you that it's a drop in the bucket compared to what we actually DID pay in Texas in 2005 (when we left), I think it misses the bigger picture--while it's probably not a big deal for the majority, what about the locals and expats who are living on a very tight budget? What if Texas had suddenly announced a 37% increase in THEIR taxes? It would have been a big deal then.

Why is this so lopsided?

Remember this is coming on top of annual increases that are double the rate of inflation. The problem I have is not with the total amount, which will push our taxes to over $500 annually, it is the dismal services we get from Chapala. No matter how much money you give them, they aren't going to deliver competent services. In fact, as the taxes have marched steadily upwards since we've lived here, the quality of the services has marched just as steadily in the opposite direction.

You won't get what you pay for from this government, folks. That's the bottom line. Comparisons with Texas with its superb services, schools and roads is pretty meaningless IMO. Remember you're also paying a 16 percent sales tax on everything you buy and you're paying $1.20 more for a gallon of gas because of all the taxes hidden in there.

Government is typically a "worst buy" everywhere but here it particularly qualifies for that rating.

Remember you're also paying a 16 percent sales tax on everything you buy and you're paying $1.20 more for a gallon of gas because of all the taxes hidden in there.

Government is typically a "worst buy" everywhere but here it particularly qualifies for that rating.

BTW, how much is a liter of gas now? We have been visiting NOB and filled up yesterday for $2.449 a gallon. Not looking forward to the gas price jump and tolls when we drive back home to Mexico in 6 weeks. And, certainly not a 37% increase in taxes. Seems like that "gap" between the "good" and the "bad" keeps getting smaller and smaller each year. Need a "plan B" when it equals out.

I really don't understand how people constantly compare to what they paid in their hometown. It makes no sense. Most of us on not living on the income we used to have. And as another posted mentioned 37% is huge no matter where you are living. Just saying.

My wife is Mexican and she can always give me a different perspective.

Many Mexicans believe that PRI(the part in power) wishes to halt the increase in the middle class, so as to have more

lower income labor to compete with China for Industry.

There was news a few days ago that the President made the proposal that all health services be combined and the

Mexican people pay for their health services.

Also there was news this am of Pemex taking a price increase.

Well there goes my proposed dental work and new glasses. Thank God I am not on a tight budget. So sorry for those that are expats and national alike, especially since it is already the middle of November and all the holidays coming up. Of course this is not gonna help the real estate market either.

I think you slipped a digit there, it's more like $2.50 a gallon which is great and it continues down. Property taxes are relative, before I moved to MX 7 years ago I paid $6K that year, now in a smaller place it's $550 a year but services are as expected NOB, unlike Riberas.

Outside of snow removal, what services are we missing here? Electric, gas, water, telephone, internet, trash pickup, what? Every time the cost of food, utilities, taxes, gasoline, etc. go up, more people enter that "Poverty level". It's one way, you don't get back out. It's unstoppable, it's the plan, NAU is on. Mexico's in on TPP, you think it's bad now? Wait till next year when the Corporations control everything and Government, and, we the People, have no say. Obama stated he will sign it this year without Congress approval.

If you don't know what TPP is, worth a read.

http://rt.com/op-edge/trans-pacific-partnership-obama-704/

Don't think of it as an increase. Think of it as an opportunity to continue getting nothing for just 37% more! Plus they just increased the municipal debt so they can't say they've (PAN) been paying it off.

Archived