Chapala.com Webboard

Another runaway truck rolled over at the bottom of Libramiento

InChapala1

Yet another runaway truck rolled over at the bottom of the Libramiento intersection by Walmart today. I don’t know if there were any fatalities. This likely has nothing to do with the loco design of the intersection, but due to failed brakes on the truck. Nonetheless, is it too much to ask the local gov’t to implement safety measures? Unlikely there’s room for a runaway truck ramp. Maybe a traffic light near El Dorado, to slow down trucks? Or prevent trucks from using the Libramiento?

The GUAD Reporter said there were similar accidents this year on:

Nov 13: https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/60662-water-tanker-crashes-at-bypass-junction

and Apr 05: https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/58129-all-involved-escape-death-and-injury-at-libramiento-junction

• Thanks 1

A traffic light at El Dorado would be no help. The trucks already have to slow to a crawl to go over the first set of topes and the second set of topes neither which have helped. (Great for the shock absorber sales though)

Until there is maintenance culture and /or a yearly inspection requirement there is nothing that will change. If you watch the Mexican news there are daily crashes all over the country of busses and trucks caused by brake failure and/or speeding. 

• Like 4

I am on the soad frequently between Chiapas and Guadalajara and this year has been a nightmare of accidenta with trucks and buses..A month ago I went to Chiapas and an 18 h trip  i used to do in  2 days has become a 3 day trip.. because of delays due to accidents

.On the way back 2 weeks ago..same thing.26 hours because of accidents on the Arco Norte and Puebla freeway. The bus for the feria coming and going was delayed bu accidents, the Feria bus going back to Oaxaca was delayed In aQueretaro  because of accidents

This last week it took me 3 hours to come back from Guadalara for the same reason.The accident of trucks are going out of control

I have decide to fly to Chiapas now.

No more insane road trips.

The bus from Chiapas to Mérida and Vera Cruz had horrible accidents  this month as well..

Poor maintenance is one cause and the uppers many take to go on the long jauls do not help either.The casetas are going up and up In price and the truckers are really squuezed for time and money.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kam said:

I am unclear why anyone would require a persona vehicle to cross a street -  as these women were doing. Crossing a street does not generally qualify as a long trip, nor does a personal vehicle protect you from a runaway truck.

Another poster was talking about break problems and buses... If you don't use them bus it crash has less ability to hurt you. Not really sure the pmcs status if the buses here.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, kam said:

I am unclear why anyone would require a persona vehicle to cross a street -  as these women were doing. Crossing a street does not generally qualify as a long trip, nor does a personal vehicle protect you from a runaway truck.

Are you commenting  on the post stating "Why a personal vehicle is great for long trips"   Nothing to do with people crossing a street. The key word is long

I was reporting what is happening with buses and trucks ... These poor women were at the wrong place at the right time , it is just awful what happened to them and hope the company owning the truck will pay for everything plus.. but of course it will not make up for their pain now and probably i the futire.. That intersection is really dangerous , how many people have to be hurt or killed before they figure out something. There is no way to enter Chapala or that area without goint down a hill , maybe they should have a check up section on top of the hill before descending into Chpala or the libramiento ..or in Ixtlahuacan. ..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bmh said:

I was reporting what is happening with buses and trucks ... These poor women were at the wrong place at the right time , it is just awful what happened to them and hope the company owning the truck will pay for everything plus.. but of course it will not make up for their pain now and probably i the futire.. That intersection is really dangerous , how many people have to be hurt or killed before they figure out something. There is no way to enter Chapala or that area without goint down a hill , maybe they should have a check up section on top of the hill before descending into Chpala or the libramiento ..or in Ixtlahuacan. ..

I think if all truckers geared down appropriately at the top of the hill, this could be avoided but so many are in a hurry. The general rule of thumb is to never go down faster than you could go up. I don't know the details but from the photo, it appears he tried taking the turn too fast, rather than loss of brakes. If brakes had failed, going straight through may have been a better choice, providing no obstructions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

it appears he tried taking the turn too fast, rather than loss of brakes. 

From the article: 

"A cargo truck carrying a full load of rocks and rubble turned over while executing a sharp left-hand turn from the foot of the bypass." ...   

IMO   It seems he was top heavy and turned over because of the weight.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, ibarra said:

From the article: 

"A cargo truck carrying a full load of rocks and rubble turned over while executing a sharp left-hand turn from the foot of the bypass." ...   

IMO   It seems he was top heavy and turned over because of the weight.

I agree.  Not all of the accidents in front of Walmart are because of problems with brakes. 

Too fast/too slow, overloaded/under-loaded, sharp left-turn/right-turn, potayto/potahto… at the end of the day, numerous accidents and injuries there, fatalities waiting to happen. There are options. The road/arroyo that goes by El Dorado and ends up by Café Negro - seem to recall the slope is not as steep. A while back, that road was being improved, but unsure if it was completed. One option is to have heavy trucks use that road, avoid the loco Walmart intersection. The fraccs along the road won’t like it, but maybe safer for all.

2 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

Too fast/too slow, overloaded/under-loaded, sharp left-turn/right-turn, potayto/potahto… at the end of the day, numerous accidents and injuries there, fatalities waiting to happen. There are options. The road/arroyo that goes by El Dorado and ends up by Café Negro - seem to recall the slope is not as steep. A while back, that road was being improved, but unsure if it was completed. One option is to have heavy trucks use that road, avoid the loco Walmart intersection. The fraccs along the road won’t like it, but maybe safer for all.

That road is actually an arroyo and floods frequently during the rainy season bringing all types of debris down onto the carretera.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

That road is actually an arroyo and floods frequently during the rainy season bringing all types of debris down onto the carretera.

That street has been widened, is paved and open. The problem is the manner to enter from the libramiento. Would be impossible for big trucks, Fine for cars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

That has been widened, is paved and open. The problem is the manner to enter from the libramiento. Would be impossible for big trucks, Fine for cars.

It is still an arroyo with the water flowing down to Ramon Corona and the lake. I do not know what it will be now that it has been changed.