Chapala.com Webboard

Folks marking off no parking areas

HarryB

For said no parking areas to be legal one must:

apply to the municipality,

have an ordinance passed,

mark the area with the ordinance number,

and pay the annual fee to the municipality. 

So I can move the chair, or bucket of cement, park my car and come back 2 hours later and expect my car to be in the same condition it was when I parked it?  NOT

Does your above post apply for personal residences as well as businesses?

It would be nice if folks who block parking would obey the rules but they either don't know the rules or couldn't care less.

18 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

So I can move the chair, or bucket of cement, park my car and come back 2 hours later and expect my car to be in the same condition it was when I parked it?  NOT

Half of the neighbors on street my have buckets of cement  in the street,it's a tradition,move them at your own risk. 

If the police gave citations to anyone blocking off public streets without an ordinance number and legal permit then there would be literally tens of thousands more parking spots here in our city of San Luis Potosi. Because they don´t vehicles are parked all over the place in no parking zones which adds to the overall mess the place is in and the police leave the vehicles alone to park where they want most all of the time. I sometimes wonder what the transitos do all day long here - go home for lunch and a 3 hour nap?

1 hour ago, cbviajero said:

Half of the neighbors on street my have buckets of cement  in the street,it's a tradition,move them at your own risk. 

My wife won´t let me move anything in the street. She said they might come out and scartch the paint or worse punch holes in your tires even if they have never moved the crap themselves to park there or for a visitor to park there. I do move the buckets of water the car wash guys leave in front of government buildings and when they approach say watch my car but do not wash my car. When they approach when I am leaving I pretend not to notice them. Later at night if we are in a questionable area of town the guys who mark of the street with buckets I do give them a few pesos to watch the car.

Alan,when I first moved here the viene-viene situation struck me as kind of odd.

A friend said they were a pain but were just trying to get by,I give them a few pesos.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

On my street in the next block, the last few houses have a red line painted on the curb and a line of big rocks in the parking spots.  Creativity at work.  Much classier than the buckets.

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

This needs to be posted on a local Spanish speaking webboard ' cause it ain't us foreigners.

I particularly like the house with the red lines which also has two white painted posts with a connecting chain on the curb

in front of their front door - NOT a garage door.  Guess they don't like someone opening a car door in front of their house.

And these people not NOT Mexicans.

1 hour ago, cbviajero said:

Alan,when I first moved here the viene-viene situation struck me as kind of odd.

A friend said they were a pain but were just trying to get by,I give them a few pesos.

If they are close by and move their buckets for me I also give them a few pesos for helping me out when I leave.

Sometimes objects are put on the street so the home owner can back out of his garage across the street.  I have that problem occasionally on my narrow street.  But if I go knock on the door they come running out apologizing and move their car in a hurry.

14 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

If the police gave citations to anyone blocking off public streets without an ordinance number and legal permit then there would be literally tens of thousands more parking spots here in our city of San Luis Potosi. Because they don´t vehicles are parked all over the place in no parking zones which adds to the overall mess the place is in and the police leave the vehicles alone to park where they want most all of the time. I sometimes wonder what the transitos do all day long here - go home for lunch and a 3 hour nap?

Alan, they are too busy running speed traps targeting drivers with foreign plates on the bypasses to worry about your parking problem.  They make a lot more money that way. :)

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Alan, they are too busy running speed traps targeting drivers with foreign plates on the bypasses to worry about your parking problem.  They make a lot more money that way. :)

Good one.

I  wish they would target the Texas plates on the freeway when entering town from the north. There is an unwritten rule when a vehicle is on the very short on ramp from a busy blvd. and a parkway that you travel in one of the other 2 left lanes so as to not run the vehicle climbing up the ramp onto the freeway into the ditch. We use it almost daily because it is near where my father in law´s house is. Everytime I have been cut off from entering and had to steer into the shoulder it has been Texas plates on the vehicle doing 80 or 90 MPH. The speed limit is 80 KPH there or 50 MPH.. What type of person who is entering the first area of heavy traffic of a large cty drives that fast in the right hand lane? Texas plates only but other US or Canadian plated vehicles are in the left lanes starting to get used to the heavy traffic and probably slowing down when I see them.

17 hours ago, HarryB said:

For said no parking areas to be legal one must:

apply to the municipality,

have an ordinance passed,

mark the area with the ordinance number,

and pay the annual fee to the municipality. 

So, Harry, how do we get the transitos to enforce this? Sounds like it's one of those Mexican traditions that trumps any law passed against it.

there is what's legal and there is what is typical. Business owners who block parking in front of their stores lose my business because they have denied me a parking space. However home owners who do it legally will not have any trouble getting Transito to tow a vehicle that is blocking garage access.

33 minutes ago, HarryB said:

there is what's legal and there is what is typical. Business owners who block parking in front of their stores lose my business because they have denied me a parking space. However home owners who do it legally will not have any trouble getting Transito to tow a vehicle that is blocking garage access.

Maybe the best deterrent to having your garage blocked by #@$% is a sign I've seen with a picture of a tow truck.  The worst offenders regularly block garages with clear signs in English and Spanish re "no parking" on the street where LCS is located.  However, that's in competition for @#$% with those who simply stop in the middle of the street, go in to LCS and go to the video store or library and then finally return to quit blocking the entire one way street.  I wish all of them instant "car-ma."

15 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

So, tell  me, is it against the law for me to remove some rocks that are in the roadway...as in the ones on the SE corner of Nicolas Bravo and 16 of September?

I presume it isn´t against any rules and actually the municipal workers should be assigned to keep public propery clear of peoples´ trash left on any public throughfares  and haul it off to the dump just as transitos should be assigned to writing out citations for vehicles illegally parked.

Blocking off public parking always annoys me. I never park in those places but if I'm walking past I usually remove the barrier and take it somewhere else.

I  once had a Canadian come find me at a party and lecture me on the ills of parking across the street from his cochera entrance. I listened for a couple of minutes before Iasked him if people parking across the street was a new problem. He asked what had  to do with anything. and I pointed out that he knew that he shouldn't buy this problem house. I was smarter than that and bought elswhere why should his bad choice be my problem? There is a law aginst blocking the roadway with anything (See Spencer's Jalisco Traffic Laws).

I have protection on both my front and back bumpers, like state police up north. I never look if someone is blocking my garage. Once, someone was there and got a significant dent in the side of their car. Problem solved

Or most likely he just opened his garage door and it hit the illegally parked car.  Same thing would happen if I opened mine without checking first.  In fact, most of the garage doors on my block open outwards this way and that type of door seems to be more the norm than not around here.

Jumping to conclusions and making accusations of deliberate property damage seems over the top to me.

Illegal and inconsiderate car parkers should expect to take their chances IMO.  We used to get them frequently thanks to the noisy bar across the street that pretends to be a restaurant.  I had to spend hundreds of dollars to erect car barriers along the front of my property to keep their patrons from literally blocking not only my garage but also my front door.

Believe me, there was a real temptation to teach a few lessons there.

Archived