Chapala.com Webboard

Warning on "importing" vidamins into Mx.

There is a brand of Vit. B12 Complex that my wife takes but can't be found in Mx. So I had some sent by FedEx in California to her in Mx. FedEx said it was OK.

Total cost to me of U.S. $72.00 plus shipping of U.S. $99.00.

Customs "confiscated" them,and told me they can't be imported and if I wanted to import them to Mx. I had to go to Laredo, Texas, do paperwork and pay $3,000.00 (Pesos).

I'm reading it's OK to bring them in yourself in your luggage, but not ship them.

I'm just considering the loss as tuition for a class in "Learning about Mexico."

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Importation of medicine, medical devices, and medical products like vitamins has been discussed here many, many times. In most cases an import license is needed. In the past IShop mail in San Antonio has been able to help with some items sent to their office. You can contact them as to how.

• Thanks 2

I would also recommend iherb.com and/or iherb.com.mx They are very reasonable in price and offer an extensive line of brand name vitamins and supplements. The price is as stated with no extra charges added. An order usually arrives within a week and I have my orders sent to iShop in San Antonio Tlayacapan so that I can pick them up at my convenience.

• Like 1

Just wondering what is so special about the particular "brand of Vit. B12 Complex". B12 complex is widely available.  Having a particular 'brand' doesn't make it better than any other brand.
Kool-aid anyone?????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WideSky said:

Just wondering what is so special about the particular "brand of Vit. B12 Complex". B12 complex is widely available.  Having a particular 'brand' doesn't make it better than any other brand.
Kool-aid anyone?????

Actually, some brands are much more B12 than others. Read the labels.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 3:57 PM, NEWMtnMama said:

I suggest you buy from a reputable company such as iHerb. They warehouse many items in Mexico so they don't go thru customs at all, their prices are reasonable and I have found their quality to be excellent.

I've bought a lot of their products in the US over the past few years. Very good prices, selection and quality as you stated. Do you have a link for it?

On 3/15/2024 at 3:57 PM, NEWMtnMama said:

I suggest you buy from a reputable company such as iHerb. They warehouse many items in Mexico so they don't go thru customs at all, their prices are reasonable and I have found their quality to be excellent.

Another vote for IHerb. I've used them for protein products that cost an arm and a leg if you go the Amazon route (if you can even find them) and they arrive on time and very reasonably priced. They also come straight to the house.