Chapala.com Webboard

Dual citizenship between the U.S. and Mexico

ibarra

27 minutes ago, ACD said:

2. Formular las renuncias y protesta a que se refiere el artículo 17 de este ordenamiento;

La Secretaría no podrá exigir que se formulen tales renuncias y protestas sino hasta que se haya tomado la decisión de otorgar la nacionalidad al solicitante.

La carta de naturalización se otorgará una vez que se compruebe que éstas se han verificado.

https://sre.gob.mx/ley-de-nacionalidad?start=2

Yes You must pledge while you are in Mexico your loyalty to Mexico. The government of Mexico is well aware you can not renounce the citizenship of a country verbally. It is a legal process, and nowhere does it say you must perform that process before being nationalized. 

The constitution is very clear in Article 32  paragraph one  where the ability to have 2 nationalities is recognized "The law shall regulate the exercise of the rights that the Mexican legislation grants to its citizens that also have a second nationality and shall issue norms to avoid double citizenship conflicts"   

La Ley regulará el ejercicio de los derechos que la legislación mexicana otorga a los mexicanos que posean otra nacionalidad y establecerá normas para evitar conflictos por doble nacionalidad.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ACD said:

Yes, if you are Mexican.

If you are nationalized you are  a citizen. Article 32 paragraph one does not distinguish between born in Mexico, born to Mexican parents abroad or nationalized..... it says citizens.

Just curious ACD  how many nationalities do you hold?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ACD said:

Correct. The only legal way to be a dual citizen here is to be first a Mexican.

That is not what I said nor what the constitution says.  

We must assume that you have never been through the process, and never taken the oath required. That oath does not ask you to renounce your US or Canadian citizenship, as has been affirmed by other posters on this thread named: Voir dire daisy2013, and ibarra who have actually been through the process during different administrations.    

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ACD said:

"... formulate the renunciation of the person's country of origin ..."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_nationality_law

When in Mexico as a Naturalized Citizen you must agree to always identify as a Mexican.  You pledge loyalty to MX, while in Mexico (only).  You can't seek help from the U.S. consulate.  Maybe that is what they mean by "renounce" . 

However, at no time during the process of becoming Nationalized are you asked to give up citizenship in your country of origin (if from a country such as Canda or the U.S. many other countries provided in another post by me)

https://www.usa.gov/renounce-lose-citizenship

How to renounce your U.S. citizenship

Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where you intend to live to sign an oath to renounce your U.S. citizenship.

How you may lose your U.S. citizenship

You may lose your U.S. citizenship in specific cases, including if you:

Run for public office in a foreign country (under certain conditions)

Enter military service in a foreign country (under certain conditions)

Apply for citizenship in a foreign country with the intention of giving up U.S. citizenship

Commit an act of treason against the United States

Are a naturalized U.S. citizen who faces denaturalization due to committing certain crimes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ACD said:

"... formulate the renunciation of the person's country of origin ..."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_nationality_law

Be aware that anyone can write anything they want in wikipedia.   Wikipedia should never be used as a definitive source, or a legal reference, 

Welcome to Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The law has changed several times since the mid-1950s. Most recently, in 1998, Mexico permits Mexican citizens to have more than one (Mexican nationality). As for renouncing other citizenships, I asked and was told that the distinction applies to being on Mexican soil. As a Mexican within Mexico, you abide by the laws and benefits, and cannot claim another. So, break a Mexican law as a dual citizen, means you are treated as a Mexican citizen.

Here's the text: Desde 1998 la Ley de Nacionalidad de México permite que las personas mexicanas cuenten con otra nacionalidad además de la mexicana. Este hecho reviste gran relevancia porque, en efecto, la doble (o múltiple) nacionalidad implica una ampliación de derechos para la persona que cuenta con ella.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrod said:

The law has changed several times since the mid-1950s. Most recently, in 1998, Mexico permits Mexican citizens to have more than one (Mexican nationality). As for renouncing other citizenships, I asked and was told that the distinction applies to being on Mexican soil. As a Mexican within Mexico, you abide by the laws and benefits, and cannot claim another. So, break a Mexican law as a dual citizen, means you are treated as a Mexican citizen.

Here's the text: Desde 1998 la Ley de Nacionalidad de México permite que las personas mexicanas cuenten con otra nacionalidad además de la mexicana. Este hecho reviste gran relevancia porque, en efecto, la doble (o múltiple) nacionalidad implica una ampliación de derechos para la persona que cuenta con ella.

Same anywhere. You are governed by the laws of the country you are in, not the country, if different, where you live. I have cited the Mexican law change already. ACD doesn't seem to care about that.     "... striving after the wind..."

• Thanks 1

Regardless which country you wish to obtain a different citizenship from ask yourself "why I am doing this"

Depending on your answer will  depend on you  how you feel personally about " renouncing " your  original citizenship 

Personally for me, the reasons would be selfish to get the most benefits available 

Let's do a survey, How many people would renounce their first  citizenship if they had to renounce their pensions etc ??

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Regardless which country you wish to obtain a different citizenship from ask yourself "why I am doing this"

Depending on your answer will  depend on you  how you feel personally about " renouncing " your  original citizenship 

Personally for me, the reasons would be selfish to get the most benefits available 

Let's do a survey, How many people would renounce their first  citizenship if they had to renounce their pensions etc ??

Apparently you have not read almost all of the posts in this thread.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RENOUNCE YOUR CITIZENSHIP TO CANADA OR THE U.S. OR MANY OTHER COUNTRIES TO NATURALIZE AS A MEXICAN.  PERIOD, FULL STOP!   As to your survey - NOPE, not today.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2023 at 3:13 PM, ibarra said:.  This person believes you cannot have dual citizenship as "it is against Mexican law".  He also has told me that you "must denounce U.S. citizenship".    I do not believe either of those statements to be true as my husband went through the Nationalization process and  IS a dual citizen and did NOT denounce his citizenship in the U.S.  He did agree to pledge loyalty to Mexico while in Mexico.  My husband leaves MX with a Mexican passport and enters the U.S. with a U.S. passport.  My question to the members of this board - Have any of you been asked to denounce citizenship?  Have any of you been told MX does not allow dual citizenship with the U.S.?   FYI I have sent him website confirming dual citizenship with the U.S. but still believes it is "against Mexican law".  Any help will be appreciated.

There’s, to me, a little truth in both statements and that leads to misunderstanding.   You may have a citizenship in two or more countries and maybe to you that’s a dual citizenship.   Semantics.   To the Mexican government, being one of those is Mexican nationalization, you may only use the Mexican passport.   Other countries of which you hold citizenship may not interfere as you are “Mexican”.   So in that respect you denounce citizenship in the other countries.   Its just how you see it vs how immigration sees it.   My opinion only.

• Sad 2