Chapala.com Webboard

Specific orchid where to find

Call them and ask or go there :

Vivero Azucena Nursery Javier Mina #43 • Ajijic Open 9am-3pm / 4pm-6pm Contact 331-894-0744

VIVERO LAS PALMAS. Carretera Ajijic-Jocotepec #648. Telephone: (376) 766-0504. Hours Mon-Sat 9-1, 2-7; Sun 10:30a-2pm. 

Vivero san antonio, 246 San Jose Open 8am   Coming from Ajijic,  turn right on San Jose towards the lake..... at the traffic light just East of the Coca Cola Plant

28 minutes ago, KevinR said:

.. Does anyone know what he has?...

What he has are orchids harvested illegally from the wild........ has been doing this for years and years.     Must be well-enough "connected" because  he's never been stopped........😒

• Like 1

The Vivero just west of Mom's restaurant and nextdoor to the Wizz office in Riberas usually has Vandas and several other orchids.  Doesn't open until 11 or 11 30. 

Nobody said that. Yes, the OP is looking for Vandas but the comment made was about the guy who walks around selling orchids and those are the orchids that grow in the trees locally and that are harvested illegally.

• Thanks 1

Orchids belong to the largest group of plants.   They are found on every continent, except Antarctic.  They grow naturally everywhere--on the ground and in trees, etc.  Most of the orchids we grow are epiphytes....they grow in trees.  This includes.  Vandas. . 

There are 65 some species in this Asian Genus that are mostly epiphytic, although there are some lithopytic and terrestrials that exist, but they are all monopodial in growth habit and are Asiatic in origin. 

It is not that they would grow, but the evolved thousands of years ago growing in trees.  I have been growing orchids for more than 40 years.  Most of the species (Cattleyas for example) that we grow at home for their beautiful flowers evolved in trees where they grow today.  We grow them in pots.

yes orchids aare fascinating, I found out last time I was in France that a specific orchid grew in my ssister lawn and she kept cutting it with the mower, now she mows around it but I never knew we had orchids in France and even less growing in lawns. An enthemologist friend of mine tells me they are endangered.. no wonder if they grown in lawn...

I was using the wood slat baskets with coco coir and redwood chips. Now I've switched to the baskets with the molded coco coir liners. They will also hold soil as well.  I have two large fiberglass bowls filled with orchids and shredded coco coir. This year they produced 10 to 12 stems with blooms each. 

Last year I wrapped PVC pipe with the coco coir and attached the plants. These hung from the railing of an upstairs balcony. They did well but required daily watering.

In Florida I visited an orchid nursery. The shade house was filled with baskets mounted 15 feet high and the roots hung down almost to the floor. The watering system misted the room every half hour without warning.

The vanilla bean comes from an orchid and each bloom lasts for 24 hours. It must be pollinated by a particular bee to produce one bean. Now they are in shade houses and women with very small hands do the pollination. Originally they worked with the orchids in the trees on the mountain. This was where they were discovered in Papantla, Veracruz, Mexico.

I have a vanilla orchid on a tree here and it has produced beans without help but better polinated them by hand if you want beans for sure.In cuestzalan and Chiapas there are great pots made out of fern roots but I think it is is illegal to ship them unfortunately.