Chapala.com Webboard

Property Tax Increase

Tomas

Paid my taxes today...An increase of just under 22% on each property..Very strange as the office was almost empty this afternoon...absolutely no line..It is what it is...Tomorrow is water bill..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hopefully, people are holding off. Discount good to end of february. Show our feelings about potholes, street lights, police, garbage trucks, lack of municipal employees in the villages while they trip over each other in Chapala, etc.

You may & you must. Just take a number and watch for it to come up. Go to the Catastro window and present your bill from last year. They will ask you to wait until your number appears again at the cashier‘s window, where you will pay and get your new receipt.

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone please give me the address of the office where I need to pay my property taxes in Jocotepec?

On the east side of the plaza towards the south end. There is a sign and often an armed guard at the entrance.

Mine are up 4% from last year.

Along the lines of this topic, a while back both here and on TOB it was asserted by the same poster that our property taxes go to Jalisco and not directly to Chapala. That is incorrect, see page 2 of this weeks GDL reporter:

In case you're wondering, all Catastro revenues go straight into the coffers of the municipal treasury.

The article goes on to state that routing the revenues through the state was proposed but rejected by many of the state's municipalities.

In any case, it would appear that unless you live in Chapala, regardless of whose "coffers" get the money, you won't see a lot for your tax dollars. :)

Along the lines of this topic, a while back both here and on TOB it was asserted by the same poster that our property taxes go to Jalisco and not directly to Chapala. That is incorrect, see page 2 of this weeks GDL reporter:

The article goes on to state that routing the revenues through the state was proposed but rejected by many of the state's municipalities.

In any case, it would appear that unless you live in Chapala, regardless of whose "coffers" get the money, you won't see a lot for your tax dollars. :)

Given what we have been led to believe... that was a very enlightening article

Yes, and the rather interesting way they've jacked up assessments of higher end homes, the great majority of which are in and around Ajijic, seems to assure us that our community will be sending a great deal more money to their "coffers" with nothing to show for it except an unfinished Plaza and rapidly proliferating pot holes in streets that have seen basically no maintenance since the current Chapala government was elected.

Their new methodology seems designed to extract more money regardless of actual market value in a real estate market that is still well below that of several years ago.

BTW, the other incorrect statement about property taxes on this and TOB was that they didn't cover most of the municipal budget. The article contradicts that as well.

On a related matter, I see in the same edition that our government has managed to magically drop the ball on a cell tower in San Antonio that has very nearly been dropped in the back yards of residents there. And of course, like those barricades that remain across the century old public road that runs through La Floresta, we get the usual song and dance and no results from said government.

Maybe you should become a citizen Maincoon that way you could run for office and have something to say.

For years people were complaining that the taxes were too lownow that they are up people are complaining that they are too high ..It is interesting how somepeople always have complaints about everything, it is so tiring.

My taxes went up 25% and they are stil way lower than whath we used to pay and we get about the same services so no complaints from us yet.

I find it an interesting mindset that people here are very quick to complain about private businesses cheating them but it is OK with a lot of them when government does it even though the amount of money they are being stiffed for by government far exceeds the petty graft by merchants that generates very long threads here.

Think about it. We are paying these people rapidly escalating property taxes for services we are not receiving. That's not OK with me, the Mexican professional people we are associated with are far harsher in their criticism of this regime, one going so far as to label them "thieves." We've seen the Chapala police be involved in organized crime and we've seen an honest Public works director resign after 3 weeks on the job, citing cronyism and corruption.

Harry Bublin says the same thing here frequently. Is he "whining?" Hector has criticized Chapala recently for this also. Is he whining? My citizen neighbors are really down on this regime for the same reason I am. Are they all whining?

Maybe if we were all more outspoken about getting what we're paying for from this government, it might be more responsive. And maybe not. For certain, pretending there isn't a problem isn't going to create progress.

BTW we both plan on getting citizenship as soon as possible.

I wonder how much discount on Predial senior citizens get in Chapala. In other parts of Mexico, they seem to get a lot. Father-in-law paid 200p for a property valued at 700,000p in Guanajuato.

That's not OK with me, the Mexican professional people we are associated with are far harsher in their criticism of this regime, one going so far as to label them "thieves."

MC,I've never heard Mexicans,professional or otherwise,label the great majority of their politicians anthing other than "thieves" and incompetents,nothing new or unique to Chapala there.

Ajijic is the cash cow and the new formula just makes milking it easier and faster. Most can't be bothered to do the slightest thing to respond so the sky is the limit. Bend over- it won't hurt any less but, you won't see them coming!

The Guadalajara reporter wrote about the predial question. Here it seems that the top value is $420 000

and after that no discount..In other states it is different but frankly the taxes for high end properties are still reasonnable.

Politicians are called thieves in all states so I would not hope for huge changes on that front.

MC,I've never heard Mexicans,professional or otherwise,label the great majority of their politicians anthing other than "thieves" and incompetents,nothing new or unique to Chapala there.

That may or may not be true, I've certainly visited some municipalities that seem to deliver much better services without a lot of high value homes paying much higher taxes than is typical for most of Mexico. In any case, its our money.

Thank you Harry for confirming my observation about the "new" formula which has no relationship to property values and appears designed to simply milk us even more.

Harry you might post something here detailing just how this regime has cut services while jacking up taxes. One should be able to notice the explosion in the number of potholes and the absence of any repair, the trash on the streets and the absence of any cleanup, to figure this out.

However, you are in a position to spell this out for this group. Thanks.

Archived