Chapala.com Webboard

New Bank laws for all of Mexico

We have an account at Bancomer & a Scotiabank account in Vancouver. We have been using XE, an on-line currency exchange company for a few years now. We exchange CDN $'s for pesos on-line. No fee & a great exchange rate. We can exchange up to a max. of $10,000 at a time. Generally takes 4 business days. With the Bancomer account, as long as we have at least $2000 pesos in the account at anytime in a calendar month, there are no fees. And then, of course, we have 2 sources to get money from ATM's. Bancomer or Scotia. Love it.

"as long as we have at least $2000 pesos"...now raised to $4000...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use my Capital One 360 debit card with no fees. Banorte ATMs are free, and they are located at Superlake, El Torito and the OXXO in central Ajijic. Maximum withdrawal is $3,000 pesos, but you can use it over and over up to the limit you have set with the bank. Even if you use a different ATM,you are only charged at this end. Capital One does not charge you. CI Banco in Centro Laguna has the lowest ATM fees around.

I made the decision to close all Mexican accounts given the recent and impending turmoil.

Interested to know what exchange rate you're getting on these ATM withdrawals.

Since we have rarely used the ATMs over the past 8 years this is a process we will have to resort to for a bit. However the increased number of people requiring access to their cash via ATMs is going to result in a lot of ATMs being out of cash quickly. Whether or not the ATM owners up their game in reloading them more frequently this will be a problem.

We are going with a checking account at Intercam with a debit card and checks and linking that to our Bill Pay or Transfer Funds function at our NoB bank. Hopefully that will work for a while. Intercam is to have their client only ATM installed and working in August, maybe. It will be inside the building.

Another new thing I discovered recently was that Bancomer will no longer let me deposit US dollars into my acct. I have done it in the past up to like $1000 usd a month. I was told you now need to go to banco Azteca or one of the other money exchange places around.

Bancomer has not accepted US dollars for quite a little while. Went to Bancomer talked to banker. They know nothing of any new rules. They called Galatic headquarters when all this started and they know nothing of any new law. They told me US checks are just fine. Not sure folks are being told the truth here. Maybe these banks don't WANT to deal with new rules from US and blame Mexico. I googled and could find no new Mexican laws regarding US checks. A couple of others have reported the same lack of info. Does anybody know what these banks are talking about?? So why does Bancomer still take checks if laws have changed??

What type of account at Intercan are people suggesting?

I want an account where I can transfer money into from the US and withdraw pesos whenever with least wait.

By the way....does anyone know if Intercam is in the U.S.?

Interesting development with Bancomer. Need to see how that pays out. Has anyone tried writing a check at Banamex?

Would appreciate more info on this bill pay thing...I have used with BOA but not to a foreign account, suggestions? more info ? please! :wacko:

Bill pay with Intercam because they have offices up north and in Mexico. Have an account it's good for all.

Bill Pay to any place in Mexico is not going to work

An approach I use is having my retirement check deposited directly into my US Credit Union. When I want pesos here, I use my Credit Union ATM card and withdraw $5,000 pesos at a time from the Bancomer ATM in Ajijic. I also had a sizeabble wire transfer into my Multivalores account here and transfer funds from there into either Banco Multiva or Bancomer and then use my ATM cards from those two to get pesos from their ATM machines. Bancomer wants me to keep a $4,000 pesos munimum and does not pay any interest. I do not write checks for cash, luckily.

Another option is to open an account at Monex, (takes some effort), money can be easily transferred from them to any bank account anywhere in any denomination you desire (peso;s, euro,s, dollars, yen,etc.) they have offices world wide and they can deliver and exchange currencies locally with some advance notice. I know that this is not for everyone but is a handy local alternative to some of the banking issues that are cropping up...MONEX is across the HWY from El Serape...

While I'm not sure a US Check = a Canadian Cheque, yes we even spell it differently, time will tell? In the interim I am going to test out transfers using email money transfers to myself then making a deposit to the appropriate bank in Mexico. A friend had set up their Bancomer Account to receive funds this way. $3,000 C$ Sending Limit here in Canada.

The Interac email $ transfer system is great; can only be used in CDN $ between CDN banks that are on the Interac network, fyi.

Be careful of withdrawing cash at ATMs and depositing it as later Hacienda can send you an invitation to explain why the deposits are not income and give you a short time frame to explain why not or face taxes, fines and penalties.

The deposits and/cash withdrawals need to be less than 5000US, (+/-) 6500 pesos or it will potentially trigger a question and answer visit from Hacienda..I have often withdrawn more but over a week or so in order to pay construction workers at the conclusion of their building/remodeling..All this B/S with cashing checks, wire transfer of $$ for the full timers is a major pain in the as-. I am still awaiting a VALID explanation on this blog of what law/laws have triggered this in Mexico, especially the curtailment of depositing a US dollar check into an existing Mexican account. The various financial institutions seem to have misapplied the law or instructions that started all this stupidity.

Archived