Chapala.com Webboard

Cafe Adelita Update

Carnivore

The word "Update" is likely somewhat inappropriate but somehow "Downdate" doesn't seem to work.  Wednesday night was a perfect example of how a restaurant cannot function without the presence of management.  When the food coming out of kitchen is totally unacceptable the waiter may well agree with the unhappy patron(s) but.......it's very likely that upon the return of the food by the waiter, the kitchen staff are likely NOT going to pay attention to a waiter.  We had eleven people who's evening  was RUINED!  For some of us........there's likely zero chance of having it happen again.  Hopefully, the following morning, if the owners were finally present, they would realize just how much food wasn't paid for the night before.  Perhaps, if they even knew what they were looking at, they'd inquire and, perhaps someone might "fess up".

Edited by Carnivore
Cat walked over keyboard!

• 2 weeks later...

That is unfortunate to hear.  Always have liked Adelitas as one of my favorite restaurants here.   My last two or three visits, I noticed a change in the attitude, to the negative, of some of the waiters.

Maybe they do need more managing !!  Maybe someone needs to point this out to management, if anyone on the  Board knows them. 

4 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

That is unfortunate to hear.  Always have liked Adelitas as one of my favorite restaurants here.   My last two or three visits, I noticed a change in the attitude, to the negative, of some of the waiters.

Maybe they do need more managing !!  Maybe someone needs to point this out to management, if anyone on the  Board knows them. 

It has been pointed out to "management" and the response was less than satisfactory. Use to be consistent food quality and service, no longer, pity.

• Sad 1

I am curious if "Cafe Adelita" is the one named Adelita Bar and Grill in SAT. There is also Adelita:AM just a block North, but just a morning place.

I do not remember, ever, not paying for food that I ordered... never step back into a place cuz of bad food and/or service, but to NOT pay for something you ordered? In any other area of life if you order it and do not like it, you sue for your money back, no?  Also the OP never mentioned if they ate the food or not...

13 hours ago, OldWEB said:

I am curious if "Cafe Adelita" is the one named Adelita Bar and Grill in SAT. There is also Adelita:AM just a block North, but just a morning place.

I do not remember, ever, not paying for food that I ordered... never step back into a place cuz of bad food and/or service, but to NOT pay for something you ordered? In any other area of life if you order it and do not like it, you sue for your money back, no?  Also the OP never mentioned if they ate the food or not...

It is a common practice in the restaurant industry ( comminly called a service industry) in many countries t if a client complaine as they start to eat their meal, the meal is different then they ordered, etc. to change the meal,  "comp" the meal, offer a future credit, or Possibly a dessert free.  

I dunno what the OPs situation was that evening, there is not enough given in the original post and if others have more info on the subject event, please share.

EDIT: All I know for sure from the post was "food wasn't paid for"... I won't surmise anything else.

I understood that "the food that was sent back to the kitchen wasn't paid for". The OP did not state whether they ordered other things to replace those orders. I can tell you that I have heard this story about Adelitas from others. Too bad because it used to be an awesome restaurant with wonderful ambience, food and courteous staff. Anyone know if it was sold to new management? The Food Container used to be good too then it was bought. I ordered one of their famous burgers and only ate a few bites. It was AWFUL. I complained to the new owner and was not offered either an apology, an explanation or a discount. I left with the uneaten food still sitting on the plate and, although I did pay, I will never ever go back. I appreciate the heads up about the change in Adelitas but there are more than enough restaurants that do give a damn to bother with those that don't.

• Like 2

We made the mistake of ordering a pizza there.  It was so bad we threw it out.  Truthfully that is the first time in my long life I got a truly inedible pizza and had to throw it out.  We let them know on their FB page, not a response of any kind.

What the heck happened there?  Change hands?  

In the opening post I should have said that in the case of myself and the other three people who ordered ribs.......one person never did receive his ribs and, that was an hour after we arrived.  He didn't reorder anything.  The three of us who ordered and received ribs could not eat them.  I sent my ribs back twice as they were cold and when they came the 3rd time it was apparent that they were not the same ribs as this time they were partially frozen.  Yes, the waiter asked if we wanted to order something else and as by then anyone who did eat their food was finished we declined!  We did not say that we wouldn't pay for our food.  We asked for our bill and when it came the food that had not been satisfactory was not on our bill.

The older woman who originally opened the restaurant, I believe was from Alaska.  I'm under the impression that the restaurant, which is large, proved, as a result of the restaurant's  initial success, to be too much for her.  Apparently she gave the restaurant to her son, who, from the outset, didn't appear to have any appropriate skills.  He had though, very fortunately, married a young and successful Mexican business woman who still runs a very well known San Antonio Tlayacapan gym.  Her business acumen and management skills have, until not all that long ago, provided the the only real level of management at Adelitas.  She is personable, well liked locally, respected by the staff but, sadly, for whatever combination of reasons, is no longer as present as in the past.  She's missed, the restaurant, staff and clientele are all neglected as a result.  Her husband, the original owner's son is most known, if he's known at all, for sitting at the bar and ignoring everything that's going on around him.  The situation will not change, in fact it will only decline further, unless a skilled restaurant manager takes control and is financially rewarded at a level that's tied to the restaurant's improved "bottom line".  And it would be best if the manager, from the outset of his or her tenure, takes advice and receives as much counsel as possible from the woman who has tried hard to provide the only real management until recently.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Four of us visited Adelitas a few weeks ago and all ordered a meal. Three meals arrived and after 10 minutes we asked where the fourth meal was. You think that the waiter would have been chasing the missing meal at the same time as serving 3 meals but NO. When the missing meal (it was only pasta) finally arrived, the waiter was told to take it away. They did offer it on-the-house but it was no longer wanted.  Went to Adelitas again a few days ago, had to ask the waiter for the bread rolls which finally arrived at the same time as the food. Requested tomato ketchup and got the same reply as when requesting the bread - "just a minute".  What has happened to their once great service?

Food Container is now closed and it appears Adelitas may soon follow.  Never much cared for Adelitas as I was disappointed with the ribs everyone else raved over.  (of course what do Canadians, know about ribs?)  Much preferred Mario's when we were in the area.   I was not aware of the history of Adelitas so thank you Carnivore.  Restaurants must have an active hands on knowledgeable management to be successful and it is evident this is now lacking at Adelitas.  As Ferret said there are a lot of good restaurants lakeside.

• Like 2

We ate there a couple of weeks ago. Food arrived cold. We asked to have it warmed. 25 minutes later, no food.  Never got our meals but we're given a check for full amount.  We asked for the manager who changed the bill to reflect only what we had to drink.  We won't return as, like Ferret said, " there are more than enough restaurants that do give a damn to bother with those that don't."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...