Chapala.com Webboard

No emissions test Lake Chapala area required

If you have something with your home address printed on it while driving in Guadalajara, wouldn't that be sufficient evidence to prove your residence lakeside and that you are not required to have an emissions test?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes I know it is not required lake side but I still get my car tested every year because I believe in supporting this system. If you where Swiss you would understand the importance of protecting your environment. And yes I know, I am just a drop of water in the lake.😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

If you have something with your home address printed on it while driving in Guadalajara, wouldn't that be sufficient evidence to prove your residence lakeside and that you are not required to have an emissions test?

Here we go again.

Yes unless you work daily in GLD, or your car is registered in GDL (or one of the other cities over 100K population) you are not required to have the check.

The only people who can legally check for compliance are at an inspection checkpoint (much like a drunk driving checkpoint). A traffic cop can not. 

So the chance that you might be checked while in GDL is very very small, and simply presenting your registration card will pass you through. 

Just a note:  people have failed the vehicle inspection for having oil drops on the bottom of their motor and having a tail light out. It is not just a "smog" check and the money promised by Jalisco to go to environmental causes has yet to happen. That is why there are so many public protests about the program.

The sad truth is a wood fired pizza oven in one day causes more pollution a car in 30 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

Your insurance papers that you should have in your car proves you live in lakeside.

• Like 2

If you are really concerned about being legal you can register for a "Pase de estancia temporal" online. You specify the days that the pass is good for. Here is the translation about it: "It is a free permit to circulate in the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area and the medium-sized cities of Ocotlán, Tepatitlán de Morelos and Puerto Vallarta for up to 30 calendar days per semester, without the need to verify." I believe "semester" is 6 months.

https://emisiones.jalisco.gob.mx:4443/tramites/?fbclid=IwAR1gndfw46AdjwGUJipvg2i9PYXh1sGZCBfnKNVDb2lRZx-GXC3xHk1WH5o#/estancia_temporal

14 hours ago, oasiscloud said:

If you are really concerned about being legal you can register for a "Pase de estancia temporal" online. You specify the days that the pass is good for. Here is the translation about it: "It is a free permit to circulate in the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area and the medium-sized cities of Ocotlán, Tepatitlán de Morelos and Puerto Vallarta for up to 30 calendar days per semester, without the need to verify." I believe "semester" is 6 months.

https://emisiones.jalisco.gob.mx:4443/tramites/?fbclid=IwAR1gndfw46AdjwGUJipvg2i9PYXh1sGZCBfnKNVDb2lRZx-GXC3xHk1WH5o#/estancia_temporal

The pass is not needed for "casual" trips to or through those cities. You are legal if your vehicle is not required to have the verification. Literally thousands of vehicles pass through or visit those cities daily. 

If you were going to visit for a few days (like a vacation in PV) then you should probably follow the procedure if you will be using the car daily in that location.  If you are going to GDL for the day it is totally unnecessary, and the government does not expect you to do it.  

Let's ask the question     Has anyone on this board been stopped or knows anyone personally who has been stopped at one of the vehicle verification checkpoints?  I have more than 20 family members who live and drive in GDL daily and not one has even seen one of those.

38 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Amazing the nativity of some folks, when confronted by a crooked cop who's determined to extort a few pesos at Xmas time. What the regulations say is what the cops interaptation is

Traffic police do not have the ability to issue a citation for the verification program. Only at an official checkpoint. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Traffic police do not have the ability to issue a citation for the verification program. Only at an official checkpoint. 

You know that I know that...But for some other person who is not so well versed in the MX culture it can be very intimidating...and when he takes out his cell telephone to call the tow truck....do you call him ...or pay up...yes we know what you would do 

You never never "pay up"  It is a crime for you as well as him. He won't call a tow truck That is a provable illegal act on his part. 

As you should do anywhere in the world.  Respect him.  Say you are sorry if you are wrong. Tell him you are happy to pay the fine.  Ask politely for the ticket.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You never never "pay up"  It is a crime for you as well as him. He won't call a tow truck That is a provable illegal act on his part. 

As you should do anywhere in the world.  Respect him.  Say you are sorry if you are wrong. Tell him you are happy to pay the fine.  Ask politely for the ticket.  

...until your spouse says she needs the sanitario badly, which is within sight at the Pemex station and the officer says, "You're not going anywhere" and pats his service gun. Been there, done that and paid up. Happy wife, happy life.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

...until your spouse says she needs the sanitario badly, which is within sight at the Pemex station and the officer says, "You're not going anywhere" and pats his service gun. Been there, done that and paid up. Happy wife, happy life.

Thank you for sharing, Mostlylost is always quick to point out "the laws" but never the actual reality of situations experienced. Remember many salary are lowly paid and the expectations are to top them up with "tips" ( bribes). It's the culture we live in, so suck it up or move.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Thank you for sharing, Mostlylost is always quick to point out "the laws" but never the actual reality of situations experienced. Remember many salary are lowly paid and the expectations are to top them up with "tips" ( bribes). It's the culture we live in, so suck it up or move.

Actually I point out the laws, experience, and reality. I have been driving in Mexico since 1966. Never paid a bribe to a traffic cop.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Must have happened with a federal police officer because transit police in Jalisco are not issued guns. 

• Thanks 1