Chapala.com Webboard

Rip-off at ATM

Lexy

Same problem for my husband at the CIbanco at Laguna Mall on July 21st.  Receipt and our US bank showed an ATM withdrawl, but no money received.  There was a green flashing light indicating normal operations.   The staff at the bank said the machine might not have had enough money in it.  And that he needed to contact our US bank.  

Have filed a claim with our US bank but was told it may take 45 to 90 days to resolve.  

Will not be using that ATM in the future. 

While it appears that the CIBanco ATM might have more than its share of dispensing no pesos but claiming 'all is OK', I have also on occasion had a similar problem with the HSBC ATMs. This was quite a while ago but.....

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Lexy,  Not a soluton to your current problem, but a possible idea for future withdrawals...  Since USAA refunds atm fees, you might consider withdrawing the amount you want (there or elsewhere), but split it into two or three transactions.  1/3 1/3 1/3  This way, if the first fails, you go somewhere else, and you haven't lost so much money in one place.  Just an idea.

P.S. enjoying the music.

• Thanks 2

UPDATE: I got an email from a USAA "member advocacy" that said to call using her direct extension. Did that today. She said the resolution team would reinvestagate. So back to the team that was dumb enough to decide the case in favor of CIBanco?? Meanwhile I'm still out $607 usd that USAA withdrew from my checking account. Is that legal?

I'm thoughly disgusted.

Lexy

Hi Lexy.  I am so very sorry.  Yes last year we lost $2,000 US from that ATM.  Our bank in Texas did return it but it took a while.  We never use CiBanco again.  Also, Banorte in chapala was very good for a long time.  Then we lost money there, got it back but never use it either anymore.  We have not had any problems with Santander in Chapala with a fee of 34 pesos.  The walmart ATM fee is 174 pesos.  A total gringo rip off

I stopped using ATMs and opened up a bank account about 15 years ago, because I felt guilty always paying most everyone with 500-peso notes. It's nice and respectful when you have access to enough smaller peso bills to come closer to having the correct change. 

Also, the last time I brought (wired) funds down from the US, the exchange rate was about 21.5 pesos per dollar. I keep these pesos in a brokerage account at Actinver Bank. which so far has been a good (not perfect) investment :)  ,

• Like 1

Normally there are only 2 ways to end up with an ATM debit and no cash.

Your account got charged because the ATM sent a request to your bank for the amount you specified. Your bank authorized that amount and reduced your checking balance. Then one of two things happened. One possibility is that the response from the bank to the ATM didn't make it. After waiting a certain amount time (it used to be 30 seconds) the ATM times out and gets ready for the next person. No money was dispensed because the ATM never received the OK.

The other possibility is that there was a malfunction at the ATM where money could not be disbursed. The ATM is supposed to send a message back to your bank saying sorry, no money disbursed at which time the bank credits the original amount back. In either case your bank did nothing wrong and the failure rests with the 3rd party that balances the machine. There should be some fault recorded in the log showing there was a problem at which time Ci Banco should have told your bank to refund the money.

The other rare possibility which happened to me once is that the money is actually dispensed but gets jammed in the dispensing mechanism. In this case the ATM should go out of service. The next time the 3rd party comes to fix or balance the machine there's the cash which can easily slip into a pocket. In that case you're out of luck.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, John Shrall said:

...One possibility is that the response from the bank to the ATM didn't make it.

In this scenario, shouldn't the ATM software at some point inform the user's bank that it didn't receive an OK response, so the user's acct can be credited?

5 hours ago, John Shrall said:

...There should be some fault recorded in the log showing there was a problem at which time Ci Banco should have told your bank to refund the money.

In this 2nd scenario, if CI Banco is acting in good faith, shouldn't they be able to provide Lexy with the fault logs?

1 hour ago, InChapala1 said:

In this scenario, shouldn't the ATM software at some point inform the user's bank that it didn't receive an OK response, so the user's acct can be credited?

In this 2nd scenario, if CI Banco is acting in good faith, shouldn't they be able to provide Lexy with the fault logs?

Since she received the receipt, obviously her bank sent the "ok". So, it seems that the ultimate scenario happened: "The other rare possibility which happened to me once is that the money is actually dispensed but gets jammed in the dispensing mechanism. In this case the ATM should go out of service. The next time the 3rd party comes to fix or balance the machine there's the cash which can easily slip into a pocket. In that case you're out of luck." 

3 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

Early in ATM processing there was post on completion. That meant the ATM received the OK that funds were available but the account wasn't debited until the machine responded that the funds were actually disbursed. That caused a lot of extra traffic on very slow (by today's standards) connections to be replaced by post on authorization. Once the authorizing bank receive the request and money was available the account was debited and a response sent to the ATM to disburse. As far as the authorizing bank was concerned the transaction was complete. It was then up to the ATM to say no, I couldn't disburse so refund the money. If the ATM never received the OK or the failure to dispense message wasn't received, the authorizing bank assumed all went well.

As to #2, yes. This scenario can occur, and the ATM owner has the info needed to authorize the credit should they take the time to research the claim. The ATM was out of balance based on cash remaining in the cannisters versus the amount settled from the network. Unless the money was no longer in the cannister but stuck on the way out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Shrall--thank you for your informed comments. Sounds like you know how these things should work.

However, by now we've heard from many others that they too experienced no cash from that CIBanco ATM.

As I posted a few days ago, a USAA advocacy person contacted me. She tells me that the "dispute" will now be "reinvestigated" by the  "resolution team." By the same resolution team that agreed the first time 'round with CIBanco's illegible "proof" that I did receive the cash? That I got the cash--and just for the fun of it I'm making a claim of no cash to try to get it again? Bank robbery in slow motion?

It was bad--and illogical--for USAA to settle this dispute in CIBanco's favor.

John, if you care to look at the details of my original post, please scroll down to ATM Rip-off. 

Lexy

Your bank is at the mercy of CI Banco's willingness to do research that could take a bit of time. Your bank has told CI Banco the ATM in question, the exact date, time, amount and what is called a trace number to track specific transactions. CI Banco must locate the log from the ATM on the day in question and look for the results of the transaction your bank identified as posted. The log should show no money was dispensed. That is assuming they can find the log and if they want to take the time to find and research the log.

This scenario is rare based on the total number of ATM transactions that occur in a day worldwide, but it can happen and usually it can be resolved correctly. It may take time and prodding from your bank but if it goes against you and others report similar problems with that ATM then it only makes sense to find another location to get cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, John. I'm getting my cash from another ATM. But warning others is important, too.

And I haven't stopped pestering USAA for the "reinvestigation," although CIBanco has little incentive to do the ethically correct thing and return my $607.

In this morning's long talk with USAA "banking" I alerted Banking to the talk I had with Member aAdvocacy. I've never talked so much in my life on one subject. I want my money back.

Lexy

Edited by Lexy
clarity