Chapala.com Webboard

Terrorist bean sellers at Superlake

I have seen the older car wash guy at Super Lake run off other car washers and headlight polisher (is that Tonio?) who don't usually work there. I don't know if he does this with Pancho's authority, but there is no reason the nasty bean sellers couldn't be ran off too in the same way. I think the best solution is for those who have been harassed by any of the sellers in that parking lot to talk to Pancho, Licoreria Paz, and Tony's ownere/managers and express their displeasure with this treatment as potential customers and that until it is resolved, they will not be patronizing those businesses. As for the car washers who "guide" me out of my parking space, my feeling is that I did not ask for that service and therefore do not need to tip them for it. I actually pay little attention to them when backing out. I got there on my own and I can probably get out on my own. I also don't need someone opening my door for me nor do I want anybody touching my car. I think one "No" should be sufficient but often isn't. When they pester me again I usually say, "Ya le dije que NO!" I am tempted to say, "Cual parte de NO no entendio? La N o la O?"

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen the older car wash guy at Super Lake run off other car washers and headlight polisher (is that Tonio?) who don't usually work there. I don't know if he does this with Pancho's authority, but there is no reason the nasty bean sellers couldn't be ran off too in the same way. I think the best solution is for those who have been harassed by any of the sellers in that parking lot to talk to Pancho, Licoreria Paz, and Tony's ownere/managers and express their displeasure with this treatment as potential customers and that until it is resolved, they will not be patronizing those businesses. As for the car washers who "guide" me out of my parking space, my feeling is that I did not ask for that service and therefore do not need to tip them for it. I actually pay little attention to them when backing out. I got there on my own and I can probably get out on my own. I also don't need someone opening my door for me nor do I want anybody touching my car. I think one "No" should be sufficient but often isn't. When they pester me again I usually say, "Ya le dije que NO!" I am tempted to say, "Cual parte de NO no entendio? La N o la O?"

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this part of what living in Mexico is all about...the grey economy where there is no free lunch or hand out from the government ( like NOB), people doing their own thing to make a living and survive. ( Why do NOB governments pay people to stay at home and receive benefits for watching TV)

As I recall the parking areas at Costco and Sams have similar people

I am continually amazed by the entrepreneurial skills of the Mexicans..But would agree that when they cross the line and intimidate it can get scary

Correct me if I am wrong,

I am continually amazed by the entrepreneurial skills of the Mexicans..But would agree that when they cross the line and intimidate it can get scary

Is there a Sams or Costco at Lakeside?

The reason I ask is because the behavior described on this thread simply doesn't happen in Guadalajara,it must be a Gringolandia thing.

Is there a Sams or Costco at Lakeside?

The reason I ask is because the behavior described on this thread simply doesn't happen in Guadalajara,it must be a Gringolandia thing.

Go to Costco and see the same thing. Help with backing up, offers to carry bags, same thing. And of course, stopping on any intersection in Guadalajara and having many many entrepreneurs offering all kinds of goods. But points for using "Gringolandia" again. :)

Go to Costco and see the same thing. Help with backing up, offers to carry bags, same thing. And of course, stopping on any intersection in Guadalajara and having many many entrepreneurs offering all kinds of goods. But points for using "Gringolandia" again. :)

Viene vienes are everywhere,I give them 2 or 3 pesos.

When I first moved here I was surprised by this phenomenon,I've never needed help backing out of a parking space,but when in Rome..

Here's a tip for dealing with the window washers,etc.at the intersections in Guadalajara,just wag your finger when they approach,that's what Mexicans do and it works.

I think he was referring to car washers, bean sellers, and the aggressive young men at SuperLake, not the uniformly dressed men who work at Costco and Sam's, helping to unload grocery carts or directing people in and out of parking spaces.

That's what I do as well. Just park across the street. Much easier to get off and then back on to the street and no hassles with car washers.

The people that are being hassled are usually those that are very elderly or use a cane or walker and do not have the ability to walk across the street and carry groceries back. They need to park as close as they can and there is zero marked handicapped parking anywhere there. Or single females who the boys feel can be easily intimidated.

Rarely are Mexicans subjected to this for two reasons:

1. Very few shop there

2. The vast majority who do shop there are Tapatioes who are usually much younger, in much better shape, and much more knowledgeable of how to deal with this situation than most of us foreigners are.

Or single females who the boys feel can be easily intimidated.

I would like to see them try that on me...Please cut out the bs about single females that can be intimidate you are not Robin Hood.

Tapatios shop there young and old , I wonder if they are bothered too..

Or single females who the boys feel can be easily intimidated.

I would like to see them try that on me...Please cut out the bs about single females that can be intimidate you are not Robin Hood.

Go back and read the first post that started this long thread. The OP was not old, frail and/or female. His concern was if this could happen to him, what would happen to people less formidable or unable to take care of themselves.

I doubt it.

Look,just say (no gracias) and if that doesn't work say (Vete!).

Some poster suggested Tazers or pepper spray,that's probably not a good idea...

no kidding, we could have a couple less old folks on the street if they did that plus it is a bad thing to start using these things with the kids. Do not give them any idea,iif you do it to them , they can do it to you and then you end up with people being pepper sprayed or tazed? Then what molotov cocktails..it is a whole lot simpler to tell them off.

So...if the kids were wearing costumes and demanding candy, would that be OK???

A poster stated that when the kids are thirsty, they suck the juice out of the beans.

Think about that for a moment.

How thirsty do you have to be to do that? How poor do you have to be to not be able to buy a bottle of water??

I sense that the gringos here cannot even imagine the circumstances that these kids must live in, not that that condones their behavior. But, a little perspective is needed here. It may come as a great shock to the Canadians with their generous social benefits and the USaans with their more modest government help - but Mexico is a Low Government Country! There is virtually no social safety net for people here. Why do you think so many migrate to the north to work? That is economic desperation because Mexico is a If You Don't Work You Don't Eat kind of country. And there is very little in the way of "jobs" here. People work for their families; if their families don't have a little business, they hustle as necessary.

There is a contingent of USians that imagine that that is a good thing. Well, just ponder this little Superlake problem and you get the picture. Those kids are only doing what they know how to do to survive! Smug USians often say, "they don't want to work...,etc." Well,they are kids; that IS work to poor kids! Their bad behavior might come from having an alcoholic dad or somebody else in the family. Lots of kids sell things on the streets, as do many adults. That is a "job" here for many people.

Most gringos here are also quite oblivious to a certain amount of simmering resentment among many poor people here (and that would be the majority) that there are so many moneyed outsiders coming to this area and changing things around to suit themselves. The economic gap is huge, and don't think these kids don't notice it! If you walk to a nice new car, you can expect some resentment from the very poor who don't have enough to eat. Kids are not responsible for the conditions that they grow up in - that is their parent's responsibility. Meanwhile, the kids are probably desperately hungry and all you care about is a possible scratch on your shiny car.

If you spoke Spanish and addressed their humanity, you might be able to diffuse some of the hostility. The lack of speaking Spanish just intensifies the resentment. Funny, but I never encounter these problems here. I speak passable Spanish and have always made it a point to connect with the people around me, including the very poor. This whole issue is a case of the affluent gringo bubble popping in the face of the shock of dire poverty.

For years I helped some poor kids in San Juan whom I would see when I went to the balneario a lot. I bought them food, but never gave them cash. They came to love me, and run up to me hugging and shrieking with joy. They were SO HAPPY to have something to eat! That is all a very long story...just food for thought.

Well if those kids were wearing costumes and said, "Give me candy mother####er," no it would not be okay.

i have not had any problems with these kids, but if I experienced that treatment and language I would no longer shop at SuperLake.

I do not know how people are targeted by these kids for that treatment and neither do you, yet you feel free to blame the victims.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this part of what living in Mexico is all about...the grey economy where there is no free lunch or hand out from the government ( like NOB), people doing their own thing to make a living and survive. ( Why do NOB governments pay people to stay at home and receive benefits for watching TV)

I think the people at Costco (and Walmart too) are entirely different. They ask if you want help to your car with your purchases. If you refuse, that's the end of that. If you agree, they also put things in your vehicle and will usually direct you out of the parking space. Of course, your agreement to their service is to tip them for the work. Again, a service you have agreed to ahead of time. To me that's the difference between Super Lake and Costco.

I have to ask if you would pay for other services you didn't request. Would you pay someone for having washed your car when you didn't ask for that service? Or if someone rang your bell to say they had just painted your exterior walls and expect to be paid? Where do you draw the line as to which services to pay for if you did not request them and agreed to pay before the service was rendered?

Archived