Chapala.com Webboard

Rain This Morning

Tomas

According to the local wx guru we had a massive rain early this AM..My hopes are that we have several more in order to continue to feed the lake. I love the rain!!!

Over 2 inches I heard...that puts over last year's levels I think.

Yes! We've exceeded each of the last 3 years by 3-4 inches and almost all of the Septembers and Octobers (already) of the last 7 years. So, maybe the rain season is shifting. At any rate, here's for a continuing wet year.

According to the Guadalajara Reporter,

"Lake Chapalas water level is surging thanks to torrential rains brought on by tropical storms that pounded the country during September and filled dams throughout the Lerma-Chapala watershed to the brim.

"According to October 2 figures released by the National Water Commission (Conagua), the lake has now surpassed the total recuperation registered in 2013, and run-off is still gushing in from the Lerma River at a rate of 136.2 cubic meters (136,200 liters) per second.

"The latest Conagua report shows all but two of the 11 largest dams located in the Lerma-Chapala watershed filled at close to or above 100 percent capacity. The agency began releasing excess liquid in the latter half of September as a string of potent storms brewed in the Pacific Ocean."

In was fantastic in Centro Chapala near the mural. Hidalgo had so much water it was up over the curbs and rushing down aquiles serdan (pretty little chained off street). It started raining around 9:45pm and was steady throughout the Castillo and fireworks for the fiestas. About 1:30am it became really heavy and I had to close all my windows!

Very much enjoying these rainy nights.

When we wake up to water on the bedroom floor, I know it was a good soak. Yay for the storm last night/this morning!

"Rain is life. Life is good. Rain is good..."

That was the mantra I was taught when I moved to Seattle 20 years ago. After living in Seattle for 14 years, I got over that. But here, the rains are different. Spectacular, wonderful, drenching and brief. It's perfect. And it's starting again right now!

whats this obsession w/the lake? i have been reading about this for years.

It's nothing much, only the source of life for all living things in this part of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

ChapalaWeather.net in Riberas has measured 31 inches of rain this year. Does anyone know if there are other measuring sites around the lake? I know the south side of the lake gets more rain and there's a significant rain shadow around San Juan. Just curious. Riberas might actually get one of the least amounts of rain of sites around the lake.

Conagua has three weather stations around the lake. One in Piedra Barrenda, one near Chapala, and one on the south shore but I don't know where you can see their measurements.

Conagua has three weather stations around the lake. One in Piedra Barrenda, one near Chapala, and one on the south shore but I don't know where you can see their measurements.

Thanks, Cedros! I'll try to track them down.

Archived