Chapala.com Webboard

Dr. Eloy Barragan

elpind

We just went and had a cleaning at Dr. Eloy's new location at Bougamvilias #139 on the careterra near Mirasol (765-5584). We have been going to him for years and have been quite happy, his new office is fantastic. Parking in front and several rooms for dental work. He will be having specality dentists more readily available in the near future. We highly recommend him.

I think the number is #39 and we were just there yesterday, as well. We have used Dr. Eloy Barragan for about 8 years, after trying some of the others when we lived in Ajijic. Dr. Eloy is, by far, the best in the area and his new offices are spectacular! Much nicer than any we have seen anywhere, in any country.

To find the new offices, turn into the Mirasol entrance and immediately turn right on the lateral road and park. You will see the CHAPALA DENTAL sign on the gate, as well as the lined parking area.

Enjoy!

That would be "turn left if you're coming from Chapala." If coming from west of Mirasol, turn right.

As there is only one entrance into Mirasol - I found the comment confusing.........

Oh well

And after you turn into Mirasol:

To find the new offices immediately turn right on the lateral road and park.

are his prices reasonable?

I guess only you can decide on what you feel is "reasonable". I've heard some people in the community say that his prices are high and I'm sure you could find some dentists that are cheaper. But for the quality of service and the care that you receive he's unbeatable. Call him and ask.

If price is your primary consideration, Dr. Barragan is not the cheapest. Neither is he the most expensive. After too many years of not seeing a dentist, I went to him for a consult. He outlined precisely what I needed done in the order he would recommend I do it and gave the cost of each procedure. I spaced the work and the payments out over several months.

I hate to extoll his services... He may become too busy! One of the best dentists north or south of the border. Reasonably priced, gentle and caring, excellent language skills for those of us who don't have them, and conveniently located with easy parking. But don't tell anyone. :-))

He does the teeth cleaning himself, which I think is important. It is extremely thorough, and he charges 500 pesos. Haven't needed anything else for the last three years, so can't quote costs for other procedures.

It usually takes several weeks to get an appointment, except for emergencies.

Just in general, when people on these boards are quoting prices of one thing or another, they're talking pesos rather than U.S. dollars, unless noted otherwise...si?

Hard to say, so much diversity. Houses are usually dollars. I like it when someone does 300p, or 300D, then we know for sure (if you ever know for sure in Mexico). :)

Excellent dental surgeon...he did a root canal for me, two visits = $2500 pesos total. Later on I made one last visit to my really great dentist in Phoenix before my US dental insurance ran out. She praised the quality of his work highly. The front desk assistant looked up what I would have paid for the same type of root canal there using my insurance: $2600 US!!

I've only seen Dr. Barragan once myself and he was great, but we just had a friend visit us from New Mexico. She called us the day before her flight saying that she had a bad tooth ache and were there any good dentists at Lake Chapala. I called Doctora Consuelo Sanchez, who is our dentist and who shares the office with Dr. Barragan. She's a great dentist as well and pretty much saved my life when I landed chin first on a tennis court s few years ago and thought I was looking at having to massive restorative dentistry.

Long story short she moved patients around to accommodate our friend in pain, and after spending a couple of hours alleviating the immediate symptoms brought in Dr. Barragan because our friend had necrotized gum tissue and other serious problems caused by a NOB dentist who did an amalgam filling where a crown was needed. Dr. Barragan did both a root canal and put in a post for a crown in one epic day of about 4.5 hours in the chair total for our poor friend. Total costs in for ALL of this treatment, including detailed x-rays to take home to show her dentist, was around 4000 pesos.

In my opinion Dr. Barragan is such an exceptional endodontist that at any place NOB he'd only be doing root canals, while Dra. Sanchez is as skilled, kind and conscientious a dentist as I've ever seen (and I am a total dental "phobe"). The two of them together under one roof = one amazing dental office.

Archived