Chapala.com Webboard

Kirkland Salted Butter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I corresponded by e-mail with the manager of Costco. I told him about this posting and he is going to check it out and send the information to his buyer. If there seems to be enough demand for salted butter - he said they would certainly stock it, so, make sure you respond to this if you want to be able to buy salted butter at Costco.

Elrich, thanks for bringing this up. You specifically asked that those interested in buying salted butter respond to this message, so why the responses from those who are NOT interested?

Count me in...I do buy the unsalted version, but find it tasteless, and a little salt in my butter is not a health concern for me, thanks.

I just find it comical Jistme....because I run all over the place just to find unsalted. Hope you can get your salted one from Costco and I hope they will be still carrying unsalted (for me)

I just find it comical Jistme....because I run all over the place just to find unsalted. Hope you can get your salted one from Costco and I hope they will be still carrying unsalted (for me)

No need to run around. You can buy locally made European style, unsalted, cultured butter at the mercado in Chapala. It rivals the flavor found in the Czech Republic which you are from as I understand it. The only flavor salt imparts on poorly made NOB style butter is salt. It is so good that when you melt it, there is no need to clarify. Put it right on your fresh popped corn and "then" add a bit of salt. Buen provecho!

Wow!Who'd of thought that an OP about salted butter at Costco would have gotten so many passionate replies.

Check the rules of the board. Rule #347-A says, "A monthly thread about Costco or other salted vs unsalted butter is obligatory." :lol:

I spoke to the manager awhile back and he said it would take a year to get. We would buy it if they had it.

We'd definitely buy it! I LOVE Kirkland's Salted Butter....

Valerie :)

If you would like to see Costco stock salted butter, please respond to this messaage and when (and if) I get enough responses, I will forward them to the manager who said if there was enough interest they would get it in.

I would also like to have the choice of Kirkland SALTED butter.

We do our shopping at the Costco on Lopez Mateos. I am guessing you are talking about the Costco off of Rafel Sanzio in Zapopan, is this correct?

Yes, the one across from Liverpool

At the moment you can buy Organic Valley pastured (i.e. from grass-fed cows) cultured butter at Super Lake (lightly salted) that is easily the best butter I've ever had (including the best French butters, handmade U.S. artisanal stuff, etc.). It isn't cheap (here or in the U.S.) but it's so flavorful we find that we use half as much as Lurpak and the like. I believe they have the unsalted version as well.

I have griped many times because salted butter is so hard to find. I don't mind cooking with unsalted, but prefer the flavor of salted for some things, and buy it wherever I can find it. It's a personal choice and each individual's preference should be respected. I remember well when people were told butter is so BAD for you. Eat margarine!" Today we know that margarine is the real bad guy, tho many still use it! Same with artificial sweeteners, tho many still use them, and more. It is all a matter of personal choice.

Most of our Costco shopping is through Lakeside Express. And yes, we'd buy salted.

Right now, we buy the Anchor and Lurpak butter available at both Superlake and Walmart.....salted or unsalted. Lately, we're buying the butter made by a local woman and sold at The Ajijic Meat Market up on the libramento. Both salted and unsalted there.

I, too, find it interesting about butter and sugar getting such a bad rap for awhile, while piles of chemicals were supposed to be good for you as an alternative. "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter". I can. :huh: Pass the butter.

NO, NO, NO! I would not buy salted butter. I can't imagine why anyone thinks they need salted butter. More importantly, why would you go out of your way to change the business decisions of a Guadalajara retailer? Are you going to help him if he loses money on this decision?

Surely you said this "tongue-in-cheek" and did not mean to insult Guadalajara retailers. It has been my observation that Mexicans do not need any assitance from foreigners in defendiing themselves from the influence of foreigners.

Moreover, all businesses crave the input of customers whether they be in Guadalajara or in Timbuktu... and even if only one customer wants a product (obviously many more than just one want the product as evidenced by all the replies here from customers who shop there) the owner will make a profit, not lose money. (Naturally depending on how much he orders to test the market strength.)

Most distributors also put product in stores to test market strength and take back whatever doesn't sell if that particular location does not warrant continued stocking of a given product. So, usually the retailer does not risk anything other than making customers happy and and making more money, too.

This has nothing to do with Gringos trying to change Mexican attitudes. It is simply stating that "if you stock this, I will buy it" and let the retailer decide on their own how to handle the request. That's all.

I am corresponding with the manager of Costco, he is going to call lme tomorrow (Monday) so I can help him access this site so he can see the amount of interest there is for salted butter.

I need to find out how many people it would take to convince his buyer to ship it to us. If need be, I will start a hand-written petition to get even more people on board.

• 2 weeks later...

So, elrich, whatever happened? Did you have that butter conversation?

(Ajijicdiva, Kirkland salted butter will be available at SuperLake if CostCo gets it in. Pancho knows how popular the stuff is. And because it is CostCo, it is cheaper than the imported brands at SuperLake.)

Archived