Chapala.com Webboard

Kirkland Salted Butter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We buy both salted and unsalted butter. We used the salted in our baking. Most old traditional recipes call for it.. I buy probably 10 lbs a month if it was available

jeanneb, dont blame me, i just found this thread. noone answered the question anyway. i rather think about butter than most of the other topics these days.

Good grief. I cannot believe this thread has gone on this long. I use unsalted butter for health reasons, but love the salted butter for baking. I'm so confused about this thread going on so long. If I'm wrong let me know.

It just went to sleep for a while. Obviously everyone has a butter opinion.

bennie, Mexican butter of any kind sucks, IMHO, compared to NOBs. It tastes and smells rancid all the time.

Yes to the salted butter, and in full agreement with #55 about the taste of every Mexican butter I've ever tried.

And while you're talking to the manager, I'd like to see the Greek yogurt there too, the Fage no-fat kind :)

Costco had Fage several months ago-1 shipment- already talked to the power- not popular with Mexican shoppers -

It's not coming back!! Actually found a sample of Nestle Grecia Yoghurt at Wal Mart- double the price of all the other 1000 types they sell- but only a small "nueva presentacion"" don't think it will last

The Greek yogurt at Mega is pretty calorie laden.

Thanks for the offer, but i have no interest in making my own yogurt.

Edited to add, if I could make yogurt with the same consistancy/texture and 0 calories as the Fage, I might consider it. MIGHT.

Real Greek, or any other Mediterranean yoghurt is typically made with goat milk. That is not the case with many of the American products.

If you wish to make your own yoghurt, it is quite easy and the longer it sits, the better it gets.

If you just want to simulate the American product, buy any yoghurt you like and strain it through at least four layers of cheesecloth. That will get it to the consistency that people call Greek, which is a recent craze in the USA.

Having lived in the Middle East, I learned to love good yoghurt a long time ago. Here, in Mexico with its roots in the Middle East, the tradition lives on with the liberal use of many cremas and yoghurts available in any mercado.

computerguy, i buy the salted butter in the dark yellow wrapper. they come in 4 pieces, sometimes you can get seperate, or one big one. i only see it @ tortittos or superlake. if it was rancid, wouldnt i know this after all these years? is there somthing else i should know about mexican butter? i dont cook w/butter-use it on toast.

computerguy, i buy the salted butter in the dark yellow wrapper. they come in 4 pieces, sometimes you can get seperate, or one big one. i only see it @ tortittos or superlake. if it was rancid, wouldnt i know this after all these years? is there somthing else i should know about mexican butter? i dont cook w/butter-use it on toast.

I don't actually know what the deal is with Mexican butter. I'm not saying it is rancid, just that it smells and tastes like it to me. Perhaps they use butyric acid, which is often in butter and apparently is the same chemical responsible for the foul smell of human bile. Nice, eh?

In any case, it makes me ill just smelling it.

after reading computerguys essay, count me in! salted clean butter for bennie. (no side effects from the mex stuff, but why not upgrade? thats my feeling).

Archived