Chapala.com Webboard

Nice cafe with wifi recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a nice cafe with wifi (preferably cheap or free), but more importantly a peaceful place without blaring music, where one can bring their laptop and hang out for a few hours working (ie daydreaming) without angering the manager by monopolizing a table for two hours? Comfy chairs a plus!

I have often wondered why the Lake Chapala Society has a requirement to be a member before you can use there wifi? Does it cost them anything for a visitor to use it when they only plan to be here for a short time.

What would be the operating hours for LCS? Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them all out.

The office is open between 10 and 2 every day except Sunday. You need to get the password from the LCS office in order to connect. LCS is located at the corner of 16 de Septiembre and Corona, three blocks west of the street where La Nueva Posada is located and one block east of Morelos.

In response to another question about why you need to be a member, even if for a short time. LCS has to pay for its WiFi service and the equipment that is needed to provide wireless connections throughout the grounds. I am sure the office can provide some additional reasons.

I can't believe nobody has mention Grano, on the back side of the Ajijic plaza across from the big church (on Marcos Castellanos). Great food and coffee, free wi-fi (ask for the password), many comfortable chairs (ie, big stuffed easy chairs in addition to the normal tables). The prices may be a bit high, though.

I would also put in supporting votes for Oasis Cloud in Riberas and Black Coffee across from WalMart although I haven't used the wi-fi in either place. Black Coffee has DELICIOUS sandwiches and I also love the scones at Oasis Cloud.

LCS also has a lovely garden and w-fi but you need to be a member. In the end the membership fee will be less (and cause less weight gain!) than having to buy coffee, pastry, etc to occupy a table. But the chairs aren't particularly comfortable.

• 5 months later...

I have often wondered why the Lake Chapala Society has a requirement to be a member before you can use there wifi? Does it cost them anything for a visitor to use it when they only plan to be here for a short time.

The Lake Chapala Society only exists due to membership dues and small fees for non-members to use certain facilities like meeting spaces. A better question might be why the LCS so generously allows such open access to so much of their facilities without charge? A requirement that people be members in order to use facilities like the video and book libraries, and the wifi, is because many people would use all the facilities of the LCS and never pay a dime for it if they could get away with it. Life, unfortunately, is full of freeloaders.

Delicias in Chapala meets all your criteria. We have hung out there with our laptops for hours when our internet was down. Directions that Cedros posted recently: "On your way to Ajijic from Chapala on the north side of the carretera. Maybe a kilometer or so west of the Chapala traffic light. A few doors east of what used to be ACE hardware and is now Ferreteria Calzada. Great restaurant." Outside wall of the restaurant is painted a medium brown. A little ways west of the immigration office in Chapala - lots of folks going to immigration have breakfast or lunch at Delicias.

LCS grounds are open from 8-5.

The offices, library etc are open 10-2.

No obligation to buy anything once you buy your membership.

1 month for 100 pesos is a bargain- especially in such a beautiful setting.

I have been there after 2pm and have seen several people using their laptops so wifi is not shut off.

maw

Delicias is open until 1 PM. Their breakfasts are really good, and so is the service. The Wi Fi is reliable.

Ferreteria Calzada hardware store is still an ACE franchise, as it always has been. Nothing has changed.

The street name is Hidalgo.

Archived