Chapala.com Webboard

Riberas Sewage System

I believe the other big sticking point with this proposal is the way it would be financed.  Also, I understood the original proposal required construction of a new treatment plant.  That big condo development on the south side of Riberas built their own.  If I read this correctly it is now proposed to collect the waste and send it to San Antonio where I assume there is either sufficient capacity or it would be added.

You can count on all those septic tanks in Riberas are polluting the ground water and eventually the lake.  There is no way the land can assimilate that density of septic tanks and drain fields.  The usual standards for such disposal call for an acre or more and even that is pushing it.

You can't make projects like this voluntary.  Riberas presents a huge environmental threat to the ground water and lake and the government should step in, build the system and finance it off of higher property taxes, using mandatory collection/confiscation as required.  The usual practice also requires connection within a set time frame, usually a year or less.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

@Mainecoons,

"You can count on all those septic tanks in Riberas are polluting the ground water and eventually the lake.  There is no way the land can assimilate that density of septic tanks and drain fields.  The usual standards for such disposal call for an acre or more and even that is pushing it."

Yep. Pretty much nailed it.  Common sense for those who can do the math.

• Like 2

LOL. You mean in Ajijic where they are digging up streets to replace the old sewer pipes? Personally, I live in Riberas and would welcome the short term pain for long term gain. On the other hand, I have never experienced the smell of sewage anywhere in Riberas. I hope a better system happens and then they can move on to other areas like La Floresta.

• Like 1

Very interesting Tim! I watched a couple of more videos on Vetiver grass after your initial video. Looks like it might also be good idea to plant it in the various arroyos in areas prone to flooding.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Very interesting Tim! I watched a couple of more videos on Vetiver grass after your initial video. Looks like it might also be good idea to plant it in the various arroyos in areas prone to flooding.

Exactly. I have been corresponding with a world expert, a young Mexican living in Veracruz. He has done erosion control and water directive projects for agricultural lands in Mexico. I brought up the phytoremediation aspect with him and we are working up to potentially collaborating on trials to reduce pollution at the Lerma River - Lake Chapala interface.

• Like 2