Chapala.com Webboard

Hola Market Prices

rafterbr

I thought I was getting good prices at Hola Market until today I realized I was being charged 16% IVA at the register.  This brings the prices the same as Pancho's or Fresh Market.  The only difference they have some things the others don't.

9 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I thought I was getting good prices at Hola Market until today I realized I was being charged 16% IVA at the register.  This brings the prices the same as Pancho's or Fresh Market.  The only difference they have some things the others don't.

That would be in violation of the law. Their posted prices should have the IVA included. Are you sure the register ticket wasn't just itemizing the IVA that was included in the prices?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

That would be in violation of the law. Their posted prices should have the IVA included. Are you sure the register ticket wasn't just itemizing the IVA that was included in the prices?

I need to learn how to add photo's here.  My receipt clearly shows price for each item same as the prices they show.  There is a total  for this and next on the receipt is listed IVA 16% and this amount is added  to previous total. So I definitely paid more than their listed prices.

• Like 1

They do not charge the 16% on food items, only those items you buy that are taxable (ie. cleaning products, paper products). The problem is that the "taxable" items are not identified on the receipt like it is on the receipts of most other stores. You have to do a bit of math to see which ones are by calculating what the 16% is of.

For example, I recently purchased a bag of Kirkland dog food that had a sticker price on the bag as $923.  My receipt for the purchase showed $795.69 and at the bottom of the receipt was added IVA 16% of $127.31.  If you do the math, $795.69 + $127.31 = $923.00.  Still a lot less expensive than the same bag at other stores in the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ezzie said:

For example, I recently purchased a bag of Kirkland dog food that had a sticker price on the bag as $923.  My receipt for the purchase showed $795.69 and at the bottom of the receipt was added IVA 16% of $127.31.  If you do the math, $795.69 + $127.31 = $923.00.  Still a lot less expensive than the same bag at other stores in the area.

You are correct most of what I bought was not food items so there was a high IVA.  I checked and IVA was only charged on non-food items.  I did not know they could charge IVA for non-food items.  For now on I will figure this in my calculations.  I don't remember paying IVA at other stores when I buy something.  I will check my receipts. Thank you for the heads up.  

If you look at a Walmart receipt for instance, the line item is displayed including the IVA but their is a letter beside the price (A) to indicated it is taxable.

16 hours ago, Ezzie said:

For example, I recently purchased a bag of Kirkland dog food that had a sticker price on the bag as $923.  My receipt for the purchase showed $795.69 and at the bottom of the receipt was added IVA 16% of $127.31.  If you do the math, $795.69 + $127.31 = $923.00. 

That's exactly how Costco store receipts are done too.  FRUSTRATING if you buy things for others as well as yourself, when you're trying to figure out later.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

The moral of that story is.... buy only for yourself.  🤣

well, even for me since I buy extra of "x" for less trips, I want to be sure of what I paid        I carry around the list and note the prices for each on the shelves    then I can cross check later at home    but it IS an exercise!!

I have seen this  done successfully at WM and Costco. A person buying items for themselves and for another person.  Separate the items into the 2 groups..  The  clerk  checks each item from that grouping- there is a total bill and paid for [ and you get change ] . Then the other group [ yourself or the other persons' things ] run thru the clerk - a separate different receipt  and paid [ and change]. Hopefully there's not a huge amount of items  to separate in the basket..

So no need to  itemized  and separate from the one list, etc.. Each person has their own receipt.   Less work for the dual-shopper. 

oc

• Like 2

Confusion at Hola Market today.  The check out clerks seem to all be in training.  Every time  I go they seem to have problems at register. Today I bought $185 pesos worth of goods, I gave them a $200 peso note.  One took it to the back and brought two one hundred peso bills back. The young man on the register said give me 15 pesos and he gave me $100 pesos.  I said give me my 15 pesos back and give me another 15 pesos and I gave the $100 pesos back.  They seemed confused and I took the receipt and pointed to the bottom line which was correct.  I think they were still confused when I left.

• Haha 1

Too funny. I have had young people argue with me when they have given me too much change and I try to give it back. Basic arithmetic is becoming a lost art both here and NOB. Forget about "counting up" into the person's hand. The change just gets dumped into your hand. Que lastima.

• Like 1

Schools teach young people nothing about the real world.  I had several restaurants.  Out of perhaps 40 applicants from young people over the years, I only had 1 who could count money back.  Others had to totally rely on the register.  The one had both parents who were Mexican but she knew no Spanish.

We watched a video of a man interviewing young people in Times Square.  One of the questions he asked was "How many dimes are there in a dollar?".  No one could answer him.  

He also asked "What countries border the U.S.?". People all gave wrong answers. One person said France and Brazil.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We watched a video of a man interviewing young people in Times Square.  One of the questions he asked was "How many dimes are there in a dollar?".  No one could answer him.  

He also asked "What countries border the U.S.?". People all gave wrong answers. One person said France and Brazil.  

Ferret and RickS, my post is in response to rafterbr post.

• Like 1