Chapala.com Webboard

Dual citizenship between the U.S. and Mexico

ibarra

I am having a conversation with a member of this board privately regarding becoming a Nationalized Mexican.  This person believes you cannot have dual citizenship as "it is against Mexican law".  He also has told me that you "must denounce U.S. citizenship".    I do not believe either of those statements to be true as my husband went through the Nationalization process and  IS a dual citizen and did NOT denounce his citizenship in the U.S.  He did agree to pledge loyalty to Mexico while in Mexico.  My husband leaves MX with a Mexican passport and enters the U.S. with a U.S. passport.  My question to the members of this board - Have any of you been asked to denounce citizenship?  Have any of you been told MX does not allow dual citizenship with the U.S.?   FYI I have sent him website confirming dual citizenship with the U.S. but still believes it is "against Mexican law".  Any help will be appreciated.

When we became dual citizen they told us Mexico looks the other way as there are many different dual citizens. The important thing is in Mexico you are a Mexican citizen and cannot go to any other consulate for help.  You can claim any other citizenship outside of Mexico.  You do not have to renounce any other citizenship 

• Thanks 1

Mexico does not allow dual citizenship, so a person born in Mexico who tries to attain US citizenship has problems.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship meaning they don't care. Just don't try to enter the US using a Mexican passport. That's a no-no.

Now a US citizen one can renounce their citizenship but that involves a long process and costs a lot of money that could involve a tax on worldwide assets.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Mexico does not allow dual citizenship, so a person born in Mexico who tries to attain US citizenship has problems.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship meaning they don't care. Just don't try to enter the US using a Mexican passport. That's a no-no.

Now a US citizen one can renounce their citizenship but that involves a long process and costs a lot of money that could involve a tax on worldwide assets.

When I arrived at the airport coming from Texas, two lines form, one for Mexican citizens and one for US citizens. I asked the officer where to go since I was a dual citizen. He said I could choose either. 
if the officer was willing to recognize my dual citizenship why can’t you?

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

Mexico does not allow dual citizenship.....

Baloney!!!!  We've been dual ( Canada and Mexico since 2007).  True, you cannot enter U.S. with Mexican PP as has been stated above.  You Leave and enter MEXICO on Mx PP  You leave and enter other countries on alternate PP.  That's not to say SOME countries do not allow dual... Germany being one. And some even allow three!!

But IF you become a Mexican citizen be VERY sure you clearly  understand... as long as you are physically in this country, you CANNOT go to alternate country consulate/embassy for help if you get in trouble with Mexican laws.  Don't plan to  do bad stuff?  No-brainer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

When I arrived at the airport coming from Texas, two lines form, one for Mexican citizens and one for US citizens. I asked the officer where to go since I was a dual citizen. He said I could choose either. 
if the officer was willing to recognize my dual citizenship why can’t you?

Apples and oranges. The discussion is about citizenship not what line you choose at the airport. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Baloney!!!!  We've been dual ( Canada and Mexico since 2007). 

Were you born in Mexico or naturalized in Mexico as a Canadian citizen? Big difference. My comment was about Mexican nationals (born in Mexico) not naturalized Mexicans. (born outside of Mexico).

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

wise.com excerpt:

Can you have dual citizenship in Mexico?

Mexico recognizes dual citizenship. So, if you hold Mexican citizenship, you can take citizenship of another country without having to give it up. And there’s no barrier in Mexican law stopping foreigners from acquiring Mexican nationality in addition to their original citizenship.

Which major countries do allow dual citizenship with Mexico?

Some of the main countries which accept dual citizenship with Mexico include:

Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland. Israel,  Italy, Philippines, Portugal, Spain,  Sweden, Switzerland,  United Kingdom,  United States

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been a Nationalized Mexican for ten years. Didn't give up United States citizenship, was never asked to.  Never asked to denounce citizenship.  I pledged loyalty to MX and must identify as a Mexican while in MX...only.   I can't use U.S. embassy.  I leave Mexico with MX pp and enter U.S. with their pp.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mexico does not recognize "dual citizenship". When you are in Mexico, the Mexican government will recognize you ONLY as what Passport you used to enter Mexico and no other. That Passport also determines what Embassy you go to for assistance. Plain and simple. You cannot be anything else, thus NO Dual Citizenship is allowed in Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

To ACD- 

Per item 3:

Submit his/her original FM-3 or FM-2, which must be current for at least 180 days following the date of application. The original FM will be inspected and returned upon submittal of the application and relinquished definitively upon receipt of applicant’s Naturalization Card.

-We haven't had fm3 or fm2 for almost 10 years. I have had Permanente status since 2012. How old is this article?  Have you read anything at all on this thread yet? Have you looked up cited websites and read Naturalization information?  

- Here is an excerpt from one article that you must not have read:  

Mexico has not always allowed dual citizenship. If you became a naturalized citizen of another country before March 20, 1988, you would have been required to renounce your Mexican citizenship. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ACD said:

Mexiican law is clear. Whether it is enforced is another matter.

Yes, it is very clear as has been pointed out for Naturalized citizens - dual citizenship is legal in MX between many countries already posted for you to review.  You must believe that all of the posters on this thread, including my husband, are not actually dual citizens.  So from which country are they using an illegal passport?  Neither!

A

33 minutes ago, ACD said:

Mexican law allows Mexicans to naturalize elsewhere and does not require that they surrender their Mexican nationality. However, non-Mexcans may only naturalize as Mexicans if they surrender their non-Mexican nationality; even so, non-Mexicans  may not vote nor hold public office regardless of their Mexican nationality.

All Mexican citizens can vote. All that is needed for a naturalized citizen to vote is to register and receive their INE card. Also you are allowed to hold some (not all) public offices as a naturalized citizen. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ACD said:

3. You shall sign an affidavit stating that you swear loyalty to the Mexican Government and that you renounce your Original Nationality for purposes of Mexican law.

https://rosenlaw.com.mx/procedure-for-becoming-a-naturalized-citizen-of-mexico/

2. Formular las renuncias y protesta a que se refiere el artículo 17 de este ordenamiento;

La Secretaría no podrá exigir que se formulen tales renuncias y protestas sino hasta que se haya tomado la decisión de otorgar la nacionalidad al solicitante.
La carta de naturalización se otorgará una vez que se compruebe que éstas se han verificado.

https://sre.gob.mx/ley-de-nacionalidad?start=2

Rather than post information from an attorney's office, can you post what article of Constitution says this? 

18 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

A

All Mexican citizens can vote. All that is needed for a naturalized citizen to vote is to register and receive their INE card. Also you are allowed to hold some (not all) public offices as a naturalized citizen. 

Thank you.  Finally a true statement. 

45 minutes ago, ACD said:

Mexican law allows Mexicans to naturalize elsewhere and does not require that they surrender their Mexican nationality. However, non-Mexcans may only naturalize as Mexicans if they surrender their non-Mexican nationality; even so, non-Mexicans may not vote nor hold public office regardless of their Mexican nationality.

That information is completely false regarding Naturalized Mexicans.   Please refer to government websites for SRE and INE:

Here is a translated copied document directly from SRE, the issuing agency:  

https://sre-gob-mx.translate.goog/carta-de-naturalizacion-por-residencia?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

General Directorate of Legal Affairs

Letter of naturalization by residence

This document is issued to foreigners who prove residence in national territory with the card issued by the Ministry of the Interior that certifies the status of temporary resident stay, or with the card that certifies the status of permanent resident stay, at least during the last five years immediately prior to the date of your application, in accordance with the provisions of articles 20 of the Nationality Law and 14 of its Regulations.

The condition of temporary resident student stay does not generate residence rights to obtain Mexican nationality by naturalization.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Be of legal age and in use of their civil rights;

2.- Submit the original and a copy of the DNN-3 application , which you can download when you pre-register.

3. Show the original and two photocopies of the card issued by the Ministry of the Interior that certifies the status of temporary resident, or permanent resident, with which the interested party proves their legal stay (Art. 14 RLN), consequently, the residence in the country for five years immediately prior to the date of the application, which must be valid for a minimum of six months, after the application is submitted, from which the Unique Population Registry Code (CURP) is derived;

4.- Deliver the original and a photocopy of the foreign birth certificate, issued by the corresponding Civil Registry office, duly legalized by the Mexican diplomatic or consular representative of the place of issuance or, where appropriate, apostilled by the competent authority, as well as translated into Spanish by an expert translator authorized by the Judiciary of any federal entity in the national territory.
An applicant who has been recognized as a refugee by the Ministry of the Interior (COMAR) may be exempted from this requirement. In case of having a birth certificate, submit two simple copies;

5.- Submit the original and two legible photocopies of all the pages of the foreign passport (including the outer covers) or, where appropriate, the valid identity and travel document;
*If the current passport is recently issued, it is suggested to present a complete copy of the previous passport or you can provide proof of migratory flow, from the two years prior to the date of the application, issued by the National Institute of Migration.

6. Submit a letter, under oath to tell the truth, in which the number of exits and entries that you have made to and from the country in the term of two years prior to the presentation of the application is clearly indicated, for the calculation of absences, referred to in article 21 of the Nationality Law, (attach two photocopies);

7. Deliver proof or certificate of no criminal record issued by the competent authority at the federal level (with duplicate printed validation) and local depending on the place of residence, in original and photocopy;

8. Accredit through the exams that you know how to speak Spanish, that you know the history of the country and that you are integrated into the national culture.

9. Submit two identical, recent color photographs, passport size (4.5 x 3.5 cm.), with a white background, from the front, without glasses, bareheaded;

10. Two copies of the printed Unique Population Registry Code (CURP) .

11.Original and copy of the proof of payment of corresponding rights.

Study guide

Likewise, in case of not passing said exams, the interested party will have to wait a minimum of fifteen business days to resubmit the naturalization application and the application of the exams. The public servant will inform the interested party that they may take the exams up to two times and in case of not passing them, they must wait until within one year, counted from the day after the application of their last exam, to submit a new application for naturalization.
In the case of a foreigner whom the Ministry of the Interior considers a refugee, as well as in the case of minors and people over sixty years of age, it will be sufficient for them to demonstrate knowing how to speak Spanish, through a language test.

Rights valid until December 31, 2023

Here is a translated excerpt from the document regarding voting rights from INE, the issuing agency:

Please note the verbiage in red.

https://ine-mx.translate.goog/electoral-registry/?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The Federal Registry of Voters

The exact and timely registration, as well as the updating and permanent refinement of the diverse instruments that contain the names and personal information of all Mexican citizens that hold the right to vote, constitutes an essential requirement to guarantee the transparency and reliability of the electoral processes.

In Mexico, the vote is universal, free, secret, direct, personal and not transferable. All persons with Mexican nationality, by birth or by naturalization, who are 18 years of age or older, and have an honest way of living, have the right to vote. However, in order to exercise this right, the law establishes certain additional requirements such as registration of the citizen in the Federal Registry of Voters and possession of a photo-voting card, which is issued free of charge by the Federal Electoral Institute.

• Like 1

This is Article 17 of the above link (which is actually page 3). Article 17 is found on page 2. This article refers to MEXICANS by BIRTH and does NOT refer to foreigners (who were born in another country) having to renounce the citizenship of their birth country.

Article 17.- Mexicans by birth whom another State considers to be its nationals may apply to the Secretariat for a certificate of Mexican nationality solely for the purposes of the preceding article.

To this end, they shall expressly renounce the nationality attributed to them, all submission, obedience and fidelity to any foreign State, especially that attributed to them by the other nationality, any protection foreign to Mexican laws and authorities, and any right granted to foreigners by international treaties or conventions. Likewise, they will protest adhesion, obedience and submission to the Mexican laws and authorities and will refrain from any conduct that implies submission to a foreign State.

The certificate of Mexican nationality will be issued once the interested party has complied with the requirements of this Law and its regulations.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

This is Article 17 of the above link (which is actually page 3). Article 17 is found on page 2. This article refers to MEXICANS by BIRTH and does NOT refer to foreigners having to renounce their citizenship.

Article 17.- Mexicans by birth whom another State considers to be its nationals may apply to the Secretariat for a certificate of Mexican nationality solely for the purposes of the preceding article.

To this end, they shall expressly renounce the nationality attributed to them, all submission, obedience and fidelity to any foreign State, especially that attributed to them by the other nationality, any protection foreign to Mexican laws and authorities, and any right granted to foreigners by international treaties or conventions. Likewise, they will protest adhesion, obedience and submission to the Mexican laws and authorities and will refrain from any conduct that implies submission to a foreign State.

The certificate of Mexican nationality will be issued once the interested party has complied with the requirements of this Law and its regulations.

Thank you.  At least some of us already knew this was the case but were hoping with all of the information given to ACD that he would figure that out on his own.  But, NOPE!