Chapala.com Webboard

Peso to U.S. dollar this morning

ibarra

I still don't know the value of posting this on a daily basis but... since 1/2 the folks reading this Board are Canadian maybe adding the loonie rate too would be appropriate.

Maybe Ibara, the OP, would change the Title to include the Canuck's currency.  Maybe.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

I still don't know the value of posting this on a daily basis but... since 1/2 the folks reading this Board are Canadian maybe adding the loonie rate too would be appropriate.

Maybe Ibara, the OP, would change the Title to include the Canuck's currency.  Maybe.

I don't see a need to post any rate daily as I have posted before.  IMO If you need to know a rate, look it up yourself.  So, Ibarra isn't going to change the title.

• Like 2

Thanks to the US "sanctions" on Russia, their economy is now doing very well after shifting their markets to China and the Brics nations. If the Brics idea of changing how oil is priced from Petro Dollars  to whatever their currency ends up being I think the dollar will fall against every currency, not just the Peso. They hope to unveil a gold backed currency so we shall see.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Thanks to the US "sanctions" on Russia, their economy is now doing very well after shifting their markets to China and the Brics nations. If the Brics idea of changing how oil is priced from Petro Dollars  to whatever their currency ends up being I think the dollar will fall against every currency, not just the Peso. They hope to unveil a gold backed currency so we shall see.

Actually it is the Peso that is up  Not so much the dollar that is down  The Mexican Peso has seen huge increases against the world currency basket including Canadian and US dollar in the last year and a half

As the chart shows the US Dollar is higher at the begining of 2024 than the begining of 2023 against the Euro 

1aaaaa.JPG

As you can see in this chart it took over 20 Pesos to buy 1 Euro at the beginning of 2023 and just under 19 at the end of 2023

1aaaaa.JPG

So the Dollar was up in 2023 but the Peso was up more

Considering the huge quantity of U.S. dollars sent to Mexico in Remittances, the people who need that money are receiving far less... not good for them in addition to the inflation here. Also not good for tourism or exports. Amlo should realize this and take action. Opinions?

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Russia’s economy is not doing so well and their oil production is diminished by bombings by Ukraine. Brics is nothing more than a concept which hasn’t gotten very far. We’ll have to see if their gold backed currency gets off the ground. Let’s stick to the facts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Considering the huge quantity of U.S. dollars sent to Mexico in Remittances, the people who need that money are receiving far less... not good for them in addition to the inflation here. Also not good for tourism or exports. Amlo should realize this and take action. Opinions?

What do you propose that AMLO should do?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ferret said:

AMLO has absolutly no ability to alter monetary policy. That is the job of the central bank https://www.banxico.org.mx/  

If they vote to lower interest rates again then you will see the Peso weaken. 

Remittances sent to Mexico have their best February in history.

According to data from the Bank of Mexico, the surplus of remittances in Mexico was 4,399 million dollars last February.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Remittances sent to Mexico have their best February in history.

Curious.... is this 'best' in terms of the amount of US Dollars sent south OR the value of those US Dollars in Mexican pesos due to the exchange rate?

• Thanks 1

Then the cental bank should get their priorities in order. Yes, I know how much the remittances are in U.S. dollars... and

that translated to a whole lot less pesos than they were previously getting.