Chapala.com Webboard

mañana mañana

zextek

Every expat or visitor in Mexico should be required to read this link.

Time, or the Zen of the Mexican Queue

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/time-or-the-zen-of-the-mexican-queue/

Yes, I know. That construction post did inspire this post.

After living here 9 years, I'm about in sync.

The pressure regulator on my pump was leaking a little and I kept thinking I'd call my plumber, but never got around to it.  A month went by and I ran across him in the hardware store and told him the problem.  That was on a Friday.  He showed up a few hours later, said it would take a new regulator which he would pick up and install late on Monday.

Monday came and went but it was pouring rain, so.....

He showed up on Thursday only because he found the regulator in his truck that day and remembered where it went.

He asked me why I didn't call and remind him but I figured it would get done eventually and it did eventually get done.

Everything gets done eventually, what's the big deal?

Hardly anything new - perhaps a little too patronising.

The story as to "why" is much more interesting. I believe that Octavio Paz has written about this. Here is a neat, article which covers the basics:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-different-cultures-understand-time-2014-5

And here is what Octavio Paz, Mexico's Poet Laureate has to say on the subject. What an amazing mind, when you realise he was getting on in years, and none of this is written, it is an interview.

http://www.digitalnpq.org/archive/1987_winter/border.html

So when someone tells you "I will be there at 2PM, I promise" and then shows up three days later while you wait, put off any other plans you might have, and sit there looking out the window like a dog, that's OK?  There's a word for this, and it has to do with not caring about anything but yourself.  Promises?  Obligations?  Don't be silly, it's the culture.

38 minutes ago, addtocart said:

So when someone tells you "I will be there at 2PM, I promise" and then shows up three days later while you wait, put off any other plans you might have, and sit there looking out the window like a dog, that's OK?  There's a word for this, and it has to do with not caring about anything but yourself.  Promises?  Obligations?  Don't be silly, it's the culture.

In light of this culture,if you have been here for any length of "time" you would know looking out your window like a dog is not useful. Find some "timely" things to make you happy or at the very least productive. I just looked at my watch and I'd better go so that I can be on time for whatever it was I wanted to be on time for.

Living in Mexico will teach you patience and noise tolerance or else you will leave.

That said, with a little effort you can find people who really will show up when they say they will or will at least call and reschedule. The noise thing is not easily solved.

Remember when you are told "Friday" make sure you ask "Qual Viernes?"

1 hour ago, addtocart said:

Exactly, "it`s the culture".  You will eventually have to change how you experience things here or just always be frustrated or even, angry.  The culture and people will not change for you and they view things entirely differently from you.  It has nothing to do with "caring about anything but yourself".  My advice would be to try to get the NOB viewpoint about time and "obligations" out of your mind and see the Mexican culture the way Mexicans do.  It is the only way to enjoy being here and begin to see the beautiful rich culture that is here. Otherwise, you will be continually beating your head against a huge cantera wall. Ouch!

Right, Al, this is one of the joys of being here.  People are laughing and joking all the time, while they work, while they socialize. Quite an inspiration.

Claims that being irresponsible as far as communication and showing up when you said you would, is an inescapable part of Mexican culture is is insulting to those who do not behave like this. The delightful woman who cleans for me, who has never lived or traveled outside of Mexico, has never stood me up in the 4 years she has been in my employ. On the very rare occasions when she has needed to change days , or is sick, etc, she always calls and gives me ample time to plan my day otherwise.

I think we`re talking about the occasional, one-time meeting arrangement rather than the permanent employment type setup.  Someone you are arranging with to come fix your pipes. I don`t think there`s much question about people who`ve made a commitment to a particular time each week or month making that commitment.

Guest bennie2

small town, not so professional. this is not how it operates in a big city w/a different client base. i have had trouble w/several workers & they were replaced. the good ones stay w/me. in 5 years, my all around handyman/yardman/garnener didnt showup maybe 3 times. once or twice he called to cancel & change the day. never give a desposite to a contractor unless he has worked w/you before. you should also know what the materials cost, as they sometimes get a padded receipt. for paint, i go w/them & pay myself. i know alot about painting so i can cut corners. make a time frame for him to show up. for exp: between 2 & 3pm. give it another hour than go out if you have too. leave a note on door if he doesnt answer his cell. for a new worker i play dumb, & ask them questions. if they tell me its 400 pesos for a part (& the real price is 60 pesos) i know hes not my guy. in general i allow only 1 or 2 workers @ a time. if its not cleaned up they dont get paid. there is nothing "inspiring' about this. its not cute. these are adults, not your children. 

On 2016-09-05 at 8:31 PM, jrm30655 said:

After living here 9 years, I'm about in sync.

The pressure regulator on my pump was leaking a little and I kept thinking I'd call my plumber, but never got around to it.  A month went by and I ran across him in the hardware store and told him the problem.  That was on a Friday.  He showed up a few hours later, said it would take a new regulator which he would pick up and install late on Monday.

Monday came and went but it was pouring rain, so.....

He showed up on Thursday only because he found the regulator in his truck that day and remembered where it went.

He asked me why I didn't call and remind him but I figured it would get done eventually and it did eventually get done.

Everything gets done eventually, what's the big deal?

Poetry

Sometimes all you have to do is breath...

bennie2 has some good points. It they don't show up a few times or are often very late get someone else and establish in advance the price as many will often try to gouge the gringos. Just because we live in small towns isn't a good reason to have poor service. There are many Mexican workers out there who are efficient and reliable.

I tried to hire a painter to do our ironwork.... Never showed up... We cancelled the job. My gardener who is excellent said he would do it... We have increased his hours and he is constantly working on things other than gardening... Good employees are worth while taking care of.

my "all around worker" was not steady. it was when ever i needed him. as i said he only did a no show 2 x's in several years. he had a steady job as well, & worked for me after 3pm, sunday, or a holiday. the problem is not the lazy irresponsible workers, it's the expats. this is not the kind of thing to accept. upper& middleclass mexicans would never put up w/the nonsence. they would fire most of the workers here, or just not hire them. 

5 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Good points, bennie. The upper and middle class Mexican employer would never accept what most extranjeros accept from their employees, nor would they pay anywhere near what most extranjeros pay. Most Mexicans realize how easy it is to take advantage of most extranjeros, and they also know that Mexican employers would never put up with their crap.

So true.

Archived