Chapala.com Webboard

Proposed One Way Streets near 6 Corners

Taaffe

RV do you have to say gringas? does that make it worst than gringos or just plain old cars o matter who was driving?? You may hav had some obnoxious women doing that but in the other town where we live there are no " gringas or gringos" and we get blocked by people coming to the clinic next door..Blocking is blocking no matter who does it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may take what I wrote quite literally, unfortunately. A ‘ladies group‘ used to meet nearby and they were all as described. We tried nice polite requests, notes on windshields regarding the yellow curb, a chat with the hostess and had no results until I suggested that my trailer hitch would probably remove their front seat without having to open the front door first. That did it.

That damned light at SuperLake got me into an accident, and a big one. And you have absolutely not one shred of evidence that it has "prevented untold accidents".

That light is in the worst possible location. A four-way stop would be more reasonable. Right now, there are traffic jams untold times every single day, because of SuperLake's parking lot setup, and because of the light on San Jose. Not only that, it is far too long on red on the carretera. Even the light a La Floresta only uses a 30 second cycle on the highway.

That light by SL was bad enough when it was on Jesus Garcia, but it was way more manageable.

Actually Shira it is illegal to turn left on Rio Zula coming from the east, you are supposed to go on the lateral and then cross from Rio Bravo.

If you do that you really will never get home on week-ends but we did get a ticket for

turning left there..Another tonteria..

That damned light at SuperLake ....

I agree that spot is a mess, but believe it or not, the whole world doesn't revolve around Superlake, or us. That street is where the "local" bus, after winding through San Antonio, has to exit SA, turning left to get back onto the carretera to head toward Ajijic and points beyond, further west. I suspect that's why the light is there, and why it was moved from Jesus Garcia.

As far as Seis Esquinas is concerned, I don't know what the solution is there either. I'm glad I'm not in charge of traffic management here. Seems to me there are simply too many cars driving on roads that weren't designed for this much traffic. And nobody, Mexican or Foreign, is going to give up their wheels, are they? Good luck everyone! :lol:

Those buses don't worry about us, you know that. And the whole world doesn't revolve around Seis Esquinas, either (I'm unclear as to your point there, anyway). Meantime, I stand behind my suggestion of change at SuperLake, perhaps a 4-way stop.

If you do not like Hectors solution this traffic problem, you should all let him know that you will no longer sponser his ideas to improve Ajijic with your money. That may may him think twice before he makes his decision. I for one am done supporting him. Money talks here.

Guest bennie2

even in big cities, the narrow streets are one way. those narrow city streets are wider & flatter than in ajijic. people are used to driving around to go east to west or west to east. i cant imagine why little streets here were 2 way to begin with. harry is correct on this one. as a person who walks i feel safer that way. advice: look both ways as there is always a lunatic on the road.

Harry when I said you don't live here and neither does Hector I meant on the lower end of Ocampo that will becom one way. It will create a nightmare for us.

What about funeral processions? Will people need to follow the car carrying the casket from the church to Zaragoza and then go to Rio Bravo to turn back onto Ocampo to the panteon. Lots of extra walking for those walking!

If there is a death of someone living on Zaragoza and they set up a tent or tarp and chairs in the street and block it it leaves only the carraterra as a way home.

This change takes away almost all options for us to get home.

It STIiNKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HORROR is a strong word for a street, and the fact is that it has worked so far for many more years than any of us have been here. Most people don't even go to 6 Corners, and this affects the people who live herem not those who have a need to "straighten out" everything and make it like NOB. This is Ajijic, a fishing village which welcomes retirees who have plenty of time to wait for the bus or the garbage truck or people chatting with someone on the sidewalk; not Toronto or Chicago or Guadalajara where efficiency is important.

Wow, what's really amazing about this discussion is how traffic has literally exploded here since we moved here less than 7 years ago. I don't mean just Ajijic, either, Chapala is just as bad if not worse, particularly on the weekends. It happened so fast we are stunned by it.

Of course, there's been a parallel explosion in parked cars as well, many of them illegally close to intersections, in front of garages, etc. I hate to say it but about the only thing that can be done to relieve things is one way streets, parking restricted to one side of those streets, yellow curbs and serious parking enforcement. And haul all the junkers away. Simply turning streets into one way without parking enforcement could well make things worse.

Ownership of cars is exploding in Mexico and the country is very ill prepared for it. We had all better get used to a lot of discomfort as a result. For the most part, the public roads are grossly inadequate and badly built and even more grossly under maintained except for those pricey toll roads. That is the case pretty much everywhere, not just locally.

This isn't just our town having this problem. Try to get through San Luis Soyutlan on the weekends. They built this big road up to it and then they expect people to wade through an extremely congested town with cars parked on both sides of the street. People pour out of GDL in their new cars and flood the entire area including both sides of the lake, Tapalpa and Mazamitla.

It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does. Given the level of competence and corruption of local and Jalisco governments, I wouldn't be very optimistic on that score. Just sayin'

Those buses don't worry about us, you know that. And the whole world doesn't revolve around Seis Esquinas, either (I'm unclear as to your point there, anyway). Meantime, I stand behind my suggestion of change at SuperLake, perhaps a 4-way stop.

My friend Mike, I have to disagree with you about this one.

As someone who uses, enters and exits, that stretch of the carretera in San Antonio between the lights at least 4 or 5 times a day, I find those lights to be critical.

A 4-way stop sign there, (and it would be the only stop sign on the main thoroughfare between Chapala and Joco), would be a disaster. With all the crazy divers and $%&/()s on the road, enough of them run red lights, but even more ignore stop signs. Without the traffic light to aid people leaving el centro of San Antonio on the only one way street up from the plaza and Super Lake parking lot, traffic becomes horribly backed up and congested.

It was the best use of that light that used to be on Jesus Garcia, although that helped too.

My suggestion would be to put another traffic light at the intersection of the carretera and Del Parque Ote/Sur (which you know well), as that is very difficult to enter, and is also a school crossing, lots of pedestrians, and a bus stop.

Yeah, I remember traffic 30/40 years ago, but more things are a whole lot better and it is just part and parcel of progress. More people have a better standard of living due to the automobile, as far as work and doing business is concerned, but like everything there are pluses and minuses. You just hope pluses exceed the minuses.

We had no problems before that light. Yes, it took a while sometimes to get out of SL and that strip mall, and I use that area daily, too. Now it's great when you can get out on a green, I agree. But not worth the massive aggravation that the rest of the congestion brings.

In fact, if I may be so bold, I'm going to say it's all these lights that have changed the way people drive here. Now it's just like home. Before, drivers were much more accomodating, letting pedestrians cross, waiting for cars to come out of streets, etc. Now the lights have taken over their sense of purpose. I'm not sayin we don't need any lights; just reflecting on how things have changed.

Actually Hector's plan does make some sense as narrower consecutive north-south streets will alternate as one-way streets in a logical order. Looking at the map, the new scheme would be: Aldama south to north, Encarnación Rosas north to south; Javier Mina south to north; Galeana north to south; Marcos Castellanos south to north; Colon north to south; Juárez south to north. How would that make traffic snarls worse?

The matter of the east-west streets is more complicated principally because Ocampo-Constitución (the old Camino Real) is the only one that runs the entire length of the village. No easy solution. Shira, IMHO your most valid point is the question of the funeral route to the cemetery.

How about changing the direction of the proposed one ways going east and west?

Ocampo/Constitucion and Hidalgo go west only

Zaragoza and Independencia/16th de Septiembre go east only.

If the smaller streets, of north to south orientation, alternate their directions then this may work for most.

Or have I just muddied the waters?

Is there any way to get the bus to pull OFF the highway when picking up passengers at Colon? Is there any way to get the garbage truck to pick up on the highway at an earlier hour? These last two are sore points for anyone taking the highway......they back up traffic like nobody's business.

One simple answer to the garbage truck blocking Ocampo and the Hy pick up the garbage at 5.30 or 6am or at night since no one waits for a bell to ring to put the garbage out.. In Historical cities, the garbage in the centers is picked up extremely early so it dos not interfer with the traffic.

Or we could have the Hwy be one way to and build another one to go the other way..

With all these one way streets how is a Nueva Posada going to go in or out and how is Harry or people living on our privada going to get in or out without going the wrong way. Maps do not tell the whole story and before making any changes the people in charge should realy study the question and get feed back from people who live in the area and then make a plan.

All the streets dead-ending at the lakes have to be partialy two ways so people have to wait a few minutes if the garbage truck is there...Big deal!

In the other town where we live we have all one way street and the street we live on is

one car wide and is on a hill which means we have to drive one block the wrong way to get into our garage. We do that all the time in front of the police and no one ever says anything .

Shira,It is no problem for our dead end we can always back up one block to Rio Zula if we want to get out that way but make sure you have your emergency lights on or you may get a ticket!

Archived