Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic tianguis project

HarryB

Uh, Pappy, you need to take your own advice and calm down. Putting pavers on Revolution is not quite in the same league as making underground parking at the Plaza.

Well I never did get my tail twisted about the pavers, just stuck my 2 pesos in about nostalgia. What amazed me was other people objecting to my point of view. You'd have thought I had praised Slim or something. I guess I'll have to sell my shares in Maskaras now as we won't be seeing as many "slip and falls" as we used to. But seriously, it is ugly don't you think?

Loved the experience of the Tianguis with the new pavers, which as far as I'm concerned still look quite nice and more rustic than, say, asphalt or concrete. It may have been my imagination but it seemed the vendors kept a bit further back so as not to encroach on the walkway and the whole thing felt roomier.

Yesterday when walking by Revolucion I saw an older man with a cane walking down the pavers because they're much more pleasant for walking than the terrible "sidewalks" on that street. So the benefits go well beyond the Tianguis and certainly well beyond the ex-pat community.

Well I never did get my tail twisted about the pavers, just stuck my 2 pesos in about nostalgia. What amazed me was other people objecting to my point of view. You'd have thought I had praised Slim or something. I guess I'll have to sell my shares in Maskaras now as we won't be seeing as many "slip and falls" as we used to. But seriously, it is ugly don't you think?

Posting an opinion on a webboard can be like taking your life into your own hands...

Although the pavers on Revolución aren't beautiful, the project was official and had the blessing of the community, Public Works, etc. On the other hand the ugly cement walkway in the middle of Niños Heroes was not official. I took the trouble to go to talk to the people in Obras Publicas (Public Works) at the Presidencia in Chapala. Not only did they not give permission, they were angry. They told me that Hecotr España, Ajijic's delegado, had no authority to approve this paving over of a public road. They are now deciding what to do about it. Maybe Ajijic needs a Preservation Society to make people aware that they can't come from NOB and start paving over roads. Regardless of whether it serves the community or not, beauty and history are important.

Posting an opinion on a webboard can be like taking your life into your own hands...

Ja Ja, I have noticed you've been there, done that ComputerGuy. Isn't it amazing what some people get worked up about? Imagine if one of us said this global cooling has nothing to do with human activity? We might be in the next beheading video.

Add me to the those who really like the change to the road. The workers did a great job. I'm sure those pushing carts and strollers were ecstatic over the change, as well. Well done to all involved.

Mike

After 27 years here I applaud the paving project and Harry for seeing it thru all the hoops and nay=sayers, most of whom have never done anything but bitch and complain. My theory is that they have always been a complainer and that there are a hoard of their former neighbors and co-workers that are very happy that they are rid of their constant whinning.

I don't know if it's because we got there later in the morning, but not only was the tianguis MUCH easier to walk, the walking area seemed wider and less congested. My imagination? Congrats to all involved for a great success!

I joked to my hubby while we were walking that I wonder if vendors will make more money, now that people can look at their tables rather than having to watch where they walk so much.

Heather

When I checked the tianguis , there were only two vegi vendors and one eatery encroaching on the walkway. I had talked to the vendor org. before in planning. When asked, they pleasantly moved back. Now i need to ask the vendor org. To ask the beggars to move off the walkway. Hopefully they'll cooperate too.

I knew I could count on someone to pick at the smallest thing. My point was so someone didn't fall over them, now that patrons didn't need to watch their footing. I am also concerned about wheelchairs or carts hitting them. BTW I offered to take the guy with an ulcerated foot to a doctor and he declined.

Archived