Chapala.com Webboard

Lovers of the hamburger-Best at Lake Chapala?

mhopkins2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lake Taco has an awesome arrachera burger. It's become our favorite when we feel the need for a burger. We also like Cafe Magana, which we think has the best french fried onion rings in the area along with their Potato Slithers that are served with garlic salt and parmesan.

Def agreed on the rings at Magana. Need to try the burger there, but the lure of the fish for me is overpowering. I know there are those who are not fond of his fish'n'chips. My British friend says they are nothing like what she remembers in England... but it's been a long time. Geoffery being from Manchester, one would think they are at least close.

I noticed the Red VW parked at the corner of the Chapala Mercado this afternoon so I will venture up there to the "Taco/Burger Mobile" this evening and try the hamburger.. we ate the burgers at Mario's yesterday..they were good, I love the big bowl of peppers and ate more than my share..Will post my impression of the burger wagon fully loaded hamburger later//

We had the Double burgers last night at the Chapala Mercado food van...quite a busy area with all the food vendors and many locals eating at the various food stands. MY impression was it is a decent burger with all the fixin's..(cheese,bacon.onions,etc) two patties and made to order. I, like the original poster will continue my search for the Bettter local burger..

Ok, I will wade in. A few years ago I saw Bobby Flay doing burgers on Food Network. He said most people over work the meat and push a lot of the fat out and end up with a "tough" burger. His advice was to gently push the meat into shape and once a patty was made, then use your thumb and push a divit in the middle. Grill or pan fry, about 5 minute a side, turning only once and never push down on the patty. The divit keeps it from expanding so no need to push down. Pushing only pushes out all the fat. Season with salt as the salt brings out the flavor. Perfect burger, tender and flavorful.

So lakeside, Mama's has a great burger but El Serape has a better total package in that there is more cheese and the bacon is better than Mama's. Perry's is good too but the bun is not a burger bun. Both of my places also brown the bun on the grill or flattop. For a reference, when in Cannon Beach, OR. Do have the burger at Bill's Tavern, best on the planet. Cooked on a flatt, with Tillamook cheddar and thick cut peppered bacon. Bring your own Heinz catsup to Mama's and El Serape if that is important.

Went to Smitty's yesterday for his brat special, but he had run out of brats! So, decided to add his hamburger to the search for "the best". But... average. (He was also out of fries... grrr.)

Part of the problem with burgers, for me, is frying vs. grilling. His was in a frypan with two others patties. Most places use flattops. I prefer the crunchy edges and less-fatty grille method.

Update. Had the burger at Bruno's (Bruno burger with lettuce, tomato and grilled onions). $65p plus I added cheddar cheese for $10p. This was a GREAT burger. Monday night features 3 or 4 special burgers. Sides of fries and mac n cheese too.

We had the Double burgers last night at the Chapala Mercado food van...quite a busy area with all the food vendors and many locals eating at the various food stands. MY impression was it is a decent burger with all the fixin's..(cheese,bacon.onions,etc) two patties and made to order. I, like the original poster will continue my search for the Bettter local burger..

Not knowing they even had a double burger, we tried it last night. I didn't think it was as good as the special burger, single. By the way, I PM'd the OP on Saturday morning and invited him to go. He never replied. Does this mean we win by default???

Update. Had the burger at Bruno's (Bruno burger with lettuce, tomato and grilled onions). $65p plus I added cheddar cheese for $10p. This was a GREAT burger. Monday night features 3 or 4 special burgers. Sides of fries and mac n cheese too.

Or........they make a great salad as a side, with unusually good dressing.

It's an outstanding burger made with good meat......the most important part of the burger.

That mac and cheese sure did NOT come from a box! Delicious, but very filling. I made the mistake of ordering as a main dish....once. The take home portion made a tasty component of the next meal.

Archived