Chapala.com Webboard

non-local vendors on plaza

this week there are vendors selling mass produced "souvenirs" in a large array of white tents on the Ajijic plaza. these sellers are not locals, probably not even from Jalisco. who gives them permission to set up their wares here? the local vendors ,who are located on the northeast side of the plaza near the fountain ,are having their sales undercut by them. it just seems to us that we should be supporting the locals who make and sell their own products instead of giving prominent access to plaza space to non-locals who sell things made by others. it is disrespectful to our own vendors.

These events are the state giving vendors access to the local communities by arranging these fairs and is in every place I have been. It is usually the cultural commitees and tourist boards arranging these travelling fairs from different states and the local state and municipal tourist boards and cultural commitees supporting them also and common in public plazas and interesting to see what artisans from the various states specialize in and the food products they are famous for. Enjoy. They usually only are there for a week and a half then move to another location. This is a good thing. not a bad thing. IMO

It brings in tourists and nearby locals to the área and is advertised by local media and state websites. Good for the economy of the área and culturally informative. It helps bring more of Mexico to your área.

our local vendors are not invited to show their wares in other states. it is not a cultural exchange. you're saying that it is the state who issues the permits,but do you actually know? someone is taking money for the concessions,but who and why? it does not improve local business. their trucks take up precious parking spaces around the plaza and increase conjestion. if it is as you say, why don't they move it to the malecon where there is room and parking and publicize it in guadalajara ? certainly this area needs more tourists to support our wonderful restaurants,hotels, galleries and shops,but these events do not translate into more business for the locals. the tents obscure the views to the local shops and its not just for a week or so but several times a year. we've traveled mexico for over 40 years and there is a delight in seeing the differences in art and culture in the states of mexico. that said, it's in context--buying from people in their own town things that were made by them or their family. if you were a tourist in NYC would you want to buy a souvenir made in texas? or china? most of the things for sale are not works of art but cheap schlock . not once have we seen an exhibit of Lake Chapala or Jalisco artists that hasn't been promoted by the artists themselves with minimal support. is it so hard to stick up for the locals? they're here every week, rain or shine , trying to earn a living with their art . they make quality products and will be around next weekend if there's any difficulty. they, like everyone else in this worldwide economy ,are hurting. there are only so much discretionary funds to be spent. if you'd like to help out the oaxacans, michoachan or chiapans(?), go there and spend your money. they are good people too,but we have to support our locals and defend them from officials whose only goal seems to be taking in fees....

I feel you really don´t understand these events to the point of being misrepresentive of all that Mexican artisans create in their cooperatives in all states. You seem a bit jaded in what tourism and cultural creativity means to the average Mexican. It appears exclusivism doesn´t work anywhere and never really did.

It is the state´s tourist and cultural boards that arrange these events.

Where is it stated that fairs cannot be cultural or touristic in nature? Not everyone has travelled as extensivly as you and sees what other states have to their credit. People need to have events to enjoy as any other place does.

I suspect that the real complaint is that a certain restaurant owner may object to the lack of parking spaces for their potential customers, and that they are not enjoying an increase in business from the visitors with other tastes.

Guest bennie2

walkers: what difference does it make? the govt can invite anyone they want to work here. you have no say in who sells what & where they sell. they are here every year in the tents.

In this globalized world, we should open up our horizons...... people from other areas have to live too. If the Chinese can come here and sell their (not always high quality) products, what can be wrong with people from another state coming. Just imagine, if you are a businessman and you want to expand and you can only sell in your own town. And more competition, in any area, can be a good thing too.

And on a sidenote,..... don't underestimate the local vendors, by thinking that they are just going to sit back, do nothing about this and relax.

Rony (from Mexico City...... where I hope that I don't get chased away by the local chocolatiers).

I believe it's Hector, the Dellegado, who arranges for space rental on the Ajijic Plaza, so you'd need to bring the matter up with him.

As long as the vendors are selling Mexican products, I have no objection to their being on the Plaza. If they are selling Chinese imports, that's another matter.

Two of th stands are Chamula from Chiapas selling goods from Chiapas and Guatemala there are also wooden toys from maybe Chiapas maybe from some other artisans , there are also goods from Guatemala , another one is selling leather goods like bags and another belts, I do not see anything wrong with what theere are selling , they probably live in Guadalajara so they are just as local as anyone else..Are the local people barred from selling there ?

Chamulans always sells suff from Guatemala, embroider Chiapas on it and will tell you

they are from Mexico so good luck on winning that one. Unless someone really knows the difference between Chiapas and Guatemala they will get away with it everytime.

This may have something to do with the big national craft fair going on in Tlaquepaque right now.

Oooh, do you have more info about this?

Guest bennie2

gringal, its not a matter of you "objecting". if they want to sell plastic chinese things, thats not our business. why is this a "matter for hector"?

I assure you the Walkers are not worried about parking spaces. They are concerned about local vendors being forced out by the imported vendors. The Walkers are very generous to the community and don't think the way some folks here have posted. This is not about parking spaces but local versus outside vendors. The issue is Hectors as he controls the plaza thus the comments referring to Hector. The town is changing and new conflicts are occurring. I don't have an opinion on this issue but respect the Walkers comments here.

Yes Enart has some beautiful items every year in February and August. The same vendors end to come back year after year so it becomes old news after a few years but if you have not been and are looking for some specials things it is worth going.

I assure you the Walkers are not worried about parking spaces. They are concerned about local vendors being forced out by the imported vendors. The Walkers are very generous to the community and don't think the way some folks here have posted. This is not about parking spaces but local versus outside vendors. The issue is Hectors as he controls the plaza thus the comments referring to Hector. The town is changing and new conflicts are occurring. I don't have an opinion on this issue but respect the Walkers comments here.

I assume they do not know how to read the signs on most of the vendors´ booths and realize most of these vendors are selling artisan "cooperatives" crafts not "cheap scholk" he/she thinks they are selling and it is arranged by the gov´t.s of each state to benefit artisans that actually do work for a living producing these ítems and are considered handicrafts not "mass produced souvenirs", it is actually hand made crafts.

Mexican artisan cooperatives are in almost every place in Mexico and organized to subsidize these small pueblos where crafts are produced and sold at events like the one someone is complaining about being "on their turf", so to speak.

Quote: "mass produced "souvenirs" in ..." and "most of the things for sale are not works of art but cheap schlock"

Alan, I don't think this is a large artisan show. At least once a year the Chiapanecos are invited to show on the plaza. By individuals. More and more people exhibit as we get closer to Sept 15. It is our Delegado Hector or whichever Delegado happens to be In place, that gives the permisos for these "shows". I truly don't think that Conaculta from the state of Jalisco or the Feds has much to with this. If you lived here you would realize that these sorts of events occur throughout the year, organized usually by individuals or maybe a group. One friend has organized the Michoacan artists for years, a Purepecha festival, with booths, a Huichol festival, etc. the Walkers are very linked to the community, make little enough money from their small restaurant as it is, and aren't as someone saId concerned with parkIng places, they are a vital part of the Ajijijic music scene and more.....it's the badly conceived set up that blocks local merchants that is the issue. The Walkers have been part of our Ajijic scene for many many years, do read Spanish, and support local culture/artisans/artists ... They can certainly tell if something is made in China as opposed to here....they can also read and understand the word "cooperativa"

. Cut them some slack, as you have no idea what is actually happening on OUR AJIJIC PLAZA, or what the Walkers do or don't know. Ok rant finished.

Alan, I don't think this is a large artisan show. At least once a year the Chiapanecos are invited to show on the plaza. By individuals. More and more people exhibit as we get closer to Sept 15. It is our Delegado Hector or whichever Delegado happens to be In place, that gives the permisos for these "shows". I truly don't think that Conaculta from the state of Jalisco or the Feds has much to with this. If you lived here you would realize that these sorts of events occur throughout the year, organized usually by individuals or maybe a group. One friend has organized the Michoacan artists for years, a Purepecha festival, with booths, a Huichol festival, etc. the Walkers are very linked to the community, make little enough money from their small restaurant as it is, and aren't as someone saId concerned with parkIng places, they are a vital part of the Ajijijic music scene and more.....it's the badly conceived set up that blocks local merchants that is the issue. The Walkers have been part of our Ajijic scene for many many years, do read Spanish, and support local culture/artisans/artists ... They can certainly tell if something is made in China as opposed to here....they can also read and understand the word "cooperativa"

. Cut them some slack, as you have no idea what is actually happening on OUR AJIJIC PLAZA, or what the Walkers do or don't know. Ok rant finished.

Excellent rant! You covered it.

If the Walkers are part of the business community, I would have thought their first visit would have been to the Delegado office to question why. They may not like the response but I guess it is the official position.

If they are in the restaurant business , I guess they are feeling the pinch like most of the other folks in the food service business. But how much is attributed to the new show. Maybe more people are showing up and will stop for a meal.

I think there is a chasm between what the Gringos think is acceptable and what the local Mexican community finds acceptable.

For example. How do you trade off the total inconvenience of the Annual Ajijic Festival. Blocked streets, noise, same old traders and merry go rounds. Few people seem to buy or go on the rides. I wonder how they make enough money to pay for the use of the electricity they use

Sadly Snr Hector is caught between a rock and a hard spot. Lots of ideas, positive attitude, but sadly no money!!

WHo ever invited the Chiapanecos could at leat invite peope who actually make the goods rather than the

merchants from Chamula but everyone is entitled to make money which ever way they can so hold your

breath they will be gone by next week,

Guest bennie2

the expat community has no say in what goes on here. because someone has a restaurant & sings (?), doesnt put them in charge. they have a right to an opinion ofcause. why not let local craft vendors fight their own battles? no business near the plaza likes those street fairs, the taxie drivers dont either. i guess city hall knows what they are doing for $.

Archived