Chapala.com Webboard

RIP Robin Williams

hensley

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bennie2

i read messages from ISIS on my twitter page (not very friendly), mideastern jihad papers & vids graphic w/music. this is a different topic, & certainly not related to mexico. cant wrap my mind around grieving (?) people because a TV star died. thats america, & they should be grateful that "this" is a major problem for them. what is distasteful is that the world knows the personal details of the actors life. thats the media & the big mouth publicist. the family should be ashamed to allow the details go public. what kind of dignity is that for him? the whole thing is offensive to me. i was warned to "chill" by the mod, but im responding to lakeside7. i have a name for this, but refrain.

"i was warned to "chill" by the mod, but im responding to lakeside7. i have a name for this, but refrain."

You refrained too late, Bennie. Your post clearly disregards the mod´s´warning. Lexie did not even get a warning, just a four-week suspension. Let´s see how your pushing it goes.

I always found his sense of humour a little childish, but maybe it because Europeans and Americans don't have the same sense of humour (I do like the Archie Bunker style, Bill Cosby, Wanda Sykes, .....).

A lot of Americans think that the British comedies are not funny and I love them. Difficult to discuss tastes.

I'm with you in that I never cared for his humor but all suicides are very sad.

Lauren Bacall's passing meant more to me. I met her once and asked her if she was Lauren Bacall. She said, "Oh No, I met her and she is much more attractive than I am." Her kids were with her and they were all giggling.

Bacall was one very handsome woman even in person and no one could mistake that silky smooth voice and behavior. She was stunning.

Guest bennie2

agree that lauren bacall was a great actress. i didnt know that willams did standup, or that he was that famous. in any event, i wanted to put this news in perspective.

"i was warned to "chill" by the mod, but im responding to lakeside7. i have a name for this, but refrain."

You refrained too late, Bennie. Your post clearly disregards the mod´s´warning. Lexie did not even get a warning, just a four-week suspension. Let´s see how your pushing it goes.

I would think it better that you just let the mods make their own decisions and not try to make judgements for them just because you are unhappy with their decisions, no?

I think the difference between the two deaths is...Lauren Bacall was 89...I'd say that was a terrific run. She was an amazing actress, loved her movies.. but when someone dies at 89...it's not totally unexpected. Robin Williams was as funny as he ever was..and still a great actor with rolls still coming his way... he had an incredible life still left to live.

I think the difference between the two deaths is...Lauren Bacall was 89...I'd say that was a terrific run. She was an amazing actress, loved her movies.. but when someone dies at 89...it's not totally unexpected. Robin Williams was as funny as he ever was..and still a great actor with rolls still coming his way... he had an incredible life still left to live.

My point was I thought more of Bacall. Substance abusers do not have long life spans. I found his humor to be similar to Jerry Lewis, very manic, but thank you for once again explaining to me what I think. It is so generous of you.

Glad to be of service Joco. He hadn't been an abuser in years. He went to rehab because he could feel himself slipping and his depression was so bad. The manner of his passing practically screams that it wasn't planned...but spur of the moment.

Somehow you think it's a contest? wow. Both were loved, both will be missed but remembered forever.

It's about time that mental illness and depression are up front. I believe Robin Williams who was quite the philanthropist would be happy to know his death might help others by bringing mental health issues to the forefront. He is the 2nd person in less than 2 months that I have known to commit suicide. We need to stop spending money on wars and spend it on research and medical care for those in need.

It's about time that mental illness and depression are up front. I believe Robin Williams who was quite the philanthropist would be happy to know his death might help others by bringing mental health issues to the forefront. He is the 2nd person in less than 2 months that I have known to commit suicide. We need to stop spending money on wars and spend it on research and medical care for those in need.

My only two siblings committed suicide and I am 100% with you on more being done to understand brain disease. Unless someone has lost a loved one to suicide it is impossible to understand how more painful that death is than any other. I feel for his family. It will take them years to get through it.

Guest bennie2

joco, i checked out the standup (since im not familar w/him), it was loud silly, infantile. saw him once in a supporting role, he was good. not familar w/the the movies mentioned here, douteful i would choose them. this man had all the $ to get what he needed. we dont know the whole story, & its no ones business. sometimes people have physical problems. also there no "pressure" w/fame as someone said. he looks like anyone on the street, meaning that he could walk freely. he had the $ to travel anywhere in the world & have privacy. he could have died in a less shocking way. i also dont respect actors who share their personal lives, unless they are very old & write a memoir. someone like lauren becall is someone i can admire.

You HAVE been living under rock haven't you. Robin Williams not recognized when he went out? You are so very funny and uninformed. If you haven't seen his movies..your loss.

Oh I forgot...you're the one who just likes to stir *&^%%^&. I doubt if anyone is really interested in your opinion....as usual.

Psychology say when the cultural taboo of suicide is broken, within a family, a school, a community, etc.. the social unit effected becomes extremely vulnerable to suicide becoming "acceptable" as an action. This is one of the strongest argument against medical suicide. RIP

And what about having the right to say,.... enough is enough. I firmly believe that we have the right to get out when we chose to, especially if you have to face a terrible disease. If you really love someone and you see that this person is mentally and physically suffering, you don't want to see that person in pain.

It is not that this world is such a fine paradise to live in and not everybody has the strength to endure it all.

At the same time, I would plead for prevention and help where you can, but sometimes, at a certain point, you have to let go. Taking this subject to the Mexican section now,....in the state of Jalisco, a lot of young people commit suicide and there is nothing like a helpdesk/phonenumber where these people in distress can call.

One day the tabou (sorry, not sure about the spelling) about suicide will disappear, but we are far from there yet. I am against prolonging life at any cost. If we would be more civilized as a species, we would actually help in the most humane way, whenever there is no other way out (instead of letting these people die a horrible dead, where relatives have to find their loved ones in the most shocking circumstances). I am afraid that our centuries old cultural background keeps us from evolving in this ethical problem. Fortunately, a lot of the Northern European countries and Switserland have taken this issue to a different level (and I hardly ever witness any prolbems with this, when I follow the media there).

Trying to decide on other people's life, wether it is murder or suicide, is never a "good" thing in my eyes.

Freedom of speech yes..... but no freedom about your own life, .... no freedom to go silent for ever ? A lot of people commit suicide anyway, but do it the slow way, by drinking, eating themselves to dead or smoking.

Rony

And what about having the right to say,.... enough is enough. I firmly believe that we have the right to get out when we chose to, especially if you have to face a terrible disease. If you really love someone and you see that this person is mentally and physically suffering, you don't want to see that person in pain.

Rony

I agree Rony,I would never presume to question an adults decision to end their life,but I can't help questioning the methods some use.

There was an article in the NYTimes about this,google,(death in a bottle tijuana nytimes).

oh bmh that is exactly the point the phenomenon makes in the people left behind do continue living albeit with their grief which is solace to those contemplating suicide. Schools see it all the time, one suicide more often than not results in another which is why they go on such high alert.

Guest bennie2

100% rony. america is a lala goodygoody pink ribbon kind of culture. but behind the phoney stuff is a very controlling judgemental culture. that actor belonged to no one but himself, rightly so. it's his business whether he wanted to live to "get more roles", so people would be entertained. what he choose was between him & god. not the job of fox news to judge. in japan & other cultures suicide can be noble. (maybe for different reasons than this). and rony's correct about parts of europe. when someone has an incurable illness it's their right to die. illness isnt a celebration like it is here or considered a battle to be won & shared, or a business for drs & pharms. the worlds falling apart but somehow a comedian commits suicide & its major news. i do wish he did it differently or it was covered up. best yet, they could have said died in his sleep of a heart problem. i wouldnt have even read the news artical (or taken notice) if there wasnt a discussion on this board.

There are many ways to grieve and process a death. Some of us prefer the company of others and an opportunity to talk about what it means to us, how we feel about it and to hear what our fellow community members have to say. In the discussion we learn more about ourselves and others.

There is another type of person who prefers the mindless consumption of news where nothing is required of them, particularly introspection, empathy and compassion. It would be better if they sat in front of their television or computer watching and reading, leaving the first group to their discussion.

Archived