Chapala.com Webboard

Laparoscopic surgery for hernia. Looking for info and recommendations.

Eric Blair

Has anyone had "recent" experience with Laparoscopic surgery for a hernia here?

What doctor would you recommend or against? Which hospital? Costs?

I can go to California and get it done for nothing at a top ranked hospital but always like choices.

I very much believe that there are really World class doctors here, but I need to be financially realistic.

Any serious input greatly appreciated.

Laparoscopic usually requires maybe three stab wounds, one to stick the light through, the second for the endoscope and the other for the stapling device.

i had a regular repair which left a hardly noticeable scar mostly covered by pubic hair. 
I would go with whatever the surgeon feels most comfortable doing.

• Like 1

yes it all depends on what the surgeon feels is the best way to go and the surgeon also decides on the hospital  here.. Not all surgeons can work in all hospitals.

I believe in having surgeries done in Guadaljara as there are more choices of hospitals and as long as the surgeon is good you can pick cheaper hospitals in Guadaljara.. of course depending on where the surgeon will or can work

• Like 1

I had a double in the little hospital outside of Jocotepec. Walked in 20 hours later walked out. No pain. In the hospital I noticed a small bottle of Tylenol 3 in my IV.  Sent me home with something I took only for one day. I did have to pay about 5oo bucks for the Laparoscopic. Doctor said he had to bring his equipment and team from Guadalajara. I remember the Doctor bragging he did a good job. 

This was about 5 or 6 years ago. 

15 hours ago, Jreboll said:

Regular inguinal herniorrhaphy only leaves a one to two inch scar a

Not if you have a MONSTER hernia as other half did.  Laparoscopy totally not possible.  Normal incision with mesh insert left longer but excellent scar and recovery was without issues.. Hospital Pedro Loza in Guad ( cheap but clean and good)  General Surgeon did the work.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Someone asked why lap surgery for hernia. I am advised that I would need a general anesthetic for a "non-lap" procedure, and for my age, well over 70) there are many reports of cognitive problems with a general anesthetic as opposed to a lap.

"Many reports" as in how many?  What percentage?  

"There remains a lack of validated neuropsychological testing for POCD (Post Operative Cognitive Decline), which is required for homogeneous research methodology...."