Chapala.com Webboard

My care giver update

BenjiBoy

Re: My quest for a rollaway bed:

1.I was WRONG and some of you were very RIGHT. I wound up, after testing the "no" comfort of the "folding mattress" on a rollaway bed to buy a single base and a "box" mattress from Furniture for Less. Delivered to Joco at no additional fee and guaranteed satisfaction. They have stood by that promise in the past.

2.Selling "Ropa" and getting paid for it. Yes ,  The Upscale Bazar was there for me  as several of you suggested on this and the other board. They came out and took what they felt was saleable and have already made one payment. I didn't have to wait months for the items to be displayed. They were a pleasure to deal with.

3.Selling ROPA in Joco and getting paid for it.  My neighbors....100% Mexican came forward. Made signs, made calls, sent pictures, set up lines to hold clothes, shoes, toiletries, jewelry, etc. I offered a 50% split...they insisted on a 20%split.  First week...my take was 6000 pesos, second week was 8000 pesos. They insist on holding the sale until every item is sold. A charity will take what we can't move.

4.Losing power in Joco and no ability to supply my wife with Oxygen:

I have several O2 concentrators and several larger O2 tanks....power went out and stayed out for too long.  Concentrators dead and tanks running out....OxyiReyes in Riberas promises 24 hour service....I believed that to be like expecting some posters to be nice regardless of the subject...but at two a.m.  he delivered two tanks and charged the regular rate, didn't complain about the late hour or the long drive....a great asset and saved my wife for another day.

5.Honesty at a Bazar:

Todo Bueno is one of three outlets that I use:

My wife had hidden a large amount of costume jewels in various places.....This outlet called after finding it and held it for my pickup. I never would have known that this stuff existed if they didn't tell me.

6. We have a new restaurant in Joco....Lago Canoe. They heard my wife's birthday was yesterday....note: she has never been to that restaurant, prepared a meal with a cake for desert and wouldn't accept payment.

There may be a lot wrong with this area....but I proudly fly the national flag on my house and certainly don't think I'd be happier anywhere else.

Regards to those posters who offered actual suggestions....and a "sorry for you," to those that sent negative statements. This site used to be a great source for newbies and long timers like me....I am glad that sometimes it still is.

r

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Fred, there are two sayings that apply to you in this time of great personal difficulty and sadness.  Your post perfectly illustrated  both.

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap"..... and "What goes around comes around"

We old-timers (here) and all the Mexicans you've helped in many ways over the years are only too happy to be able to do whatever each can, in whatever way, as a way to say Mil Gracias, amigo     And you know well enough, any good you've done for the Mexican community in Joco has been told and retold to extended families and friends..... and now it's their turn to be able to pay back in kind.   Felicidades!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

.......,  maybe  time to consider a nursing facility, .......

Inappropriate Lakeside7.  Fred has already explained this is a TERMINAL situation and he is respecting her wishes to die at home.  She no longer enjoys       much of anything..... but he's determined to see her through as best he can.

• Thanks 11

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

Inappropriate Lakeside7.  Fred has already explained this is a TERMINAL situation and he is respecting her wishes to die at home.  She no longer enjoys       much of anything..... but he's determined to see her through as best he can.

Natasha respectively I  do not need  your judgmental comment on my observation ,you are beginning to sound like a Mother Superior looking after Sunday school class. We are all different and offer alternative solutions to a problem 

Possibly I missed the fact that Fred wife was terminal ill and wish to stay home.Whilst that request may have doable and practical at the start of the illness, it's getting to be challengethat Fred is finding impossible  to fulfill,  and time for some family or friends to intervene 

Fred is no spring chicken and needs to take care of his health. 

In a ideal world we should have kids who would swoop in and take charge, sadly many have kids who will not do that or want to bring us back north..That becomes less practical solutions for USA citizens if you have not maintained your  Medicare 

So those of you who feel your are "family ", now is intervention  time,, Forget the Ra Ra from the sidelines. PEACE AND BLESSINGS 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

We are all different and offer alternative solutions to a problem 

And, yet, you do not respect the choices and solutions Fred is making. Who is the Mother Superior now? Having worked in Home Hospice care, I applaud every step Fred us taking to make his life manageable and his wife's day's comfortable. Fred, if you ever need anything, please message me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kam said:

And, yet, you do not respect the choices and solutions Fred is making. Who is the Mother Superior now? Having worked in Home Hospice care, I applaud every step Fred us taking to make his life manageable and his wife's day's comfortable. Fred, if you ever need anything, please message me. 

KaM , if you have worked HH care  you will appreciate more than others the need for additional help. Is there a hospice care locally available?

Your offer of assistance should be the clareon call for those other side liners to give their time or money to solve Fred's challenge 

Stop the pontificating and get involved

• Sad 2

On 9/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, BenjiBoy said:

Re: My quest for a rollaway bed:

1.I was WRONG and some of you were very RIGHT. I wound up, after testing the "no" comfort of the "folding mattress" on a rollaway bed to buy a single base and a "box" mattress from Furniture for Less. Delivered to Joco at no additional fee and guaranteed satisfaction. They have stood by that promise in the past.

2.Selling "Ropa" and getting paid for it. Yes ,  The Upscale Bazar was there for me  as several of you suggested on this and the other board. They came out and took what they felt was saleable and have already made one payment. I didn't have to wait months for the items to be displayed. They were a pleasure to deal with.

3.Selling ROPA in Joco and getting paid for it.  My neighbors....100% Mexican came forward. Made signs, made calls, sent pictures, set up lines to hold clothes, shoes, toiletries, jewelry, etc. I offered a 50% split...they insisted on a 20%split.  First week...my take was 6000 pesos, second week was 8000 pesos. They insist on holding the sale until every item is sold. A charity will take what we can't move.

4.Losing power in Joco and no ability to supply my wife with Oxygen:

I have several O2 concentrators and several larger O2 tanks....power went out and stayed out for too long.  Concentrators dead and tanks running out....OxyiReyes in Riberas promises 24 hour service....I believed that to be like expecting some posters to be nice regardless of the subject...but at two a.m.  he delivered two tanks and charged the regular rate, didn't complain about the late hour or the long drive....a great asset and saved my wife for another day.

5.Honesty at a Bazar:

Todo Bueno is one of three outlets that I use:

My wife had hidden a large amount of costume jewels in various places.....This outlet called after finding it and held it for my pickup. I never would have known that this stuff existed if they didn't tell me.

6. We have a new restaurant in Joco....Lago Canoe. They heard my wife's birthday was yesterday....note: she has never been to that restaurant, prepared a meal with a cake for desert and wouldn't accept payment.

There may be a lot wrong with this area....but I proudly fly the national flag on my house and certainly don't think I'd be happier anywhere else.

Regards to those posters who offered actual suggestions....and a "sorry for you," to those that sent negative statements. This site used to be a great source for newbies and long timers like me....I am glad that sometimes it still is.

r

SENT YOU A P.M.

• Thanks 1

Update on my Bazaar sale....it has become a social event and the women would like it to continue when my items are gone.....They will sell your items for a 20% commission, display them immediately and settle up on Sundays....We do not get any non-Mexican customers so you are reaching a different group and you don't have to give away your items......you can pm me and I will give you an address and help with the translation if needed.

Fred Habacht

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BenjiBoy said:

Update on my Bazaar sale....it has become a social event and the women would like it to continue when my items are gone.....

TOO wonderful Fred!!!!!   I have a few items I will GIVE them ( was going to donate  anyway) and they can keep ALL they get.  Sending you an email in a moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well! We are all going to be shocked at the generosity of Lakeside 7....I received his gift, with no strings attached, of a 100,OOO Mexican bill, in a plain envelope and a note saying...."I hope this helps" ....you know the bill, the one picturing General Calles! 

Wow, what a guy.

Oh, wait...the bill is worthless, worth NADA like his opinion!!!

Fred Habacht

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Re: The future and night time care.....We estimate that time is running out. Barbara eats very little food now and drinks only small amounts of fluid, has difficulty even standing up to be cleaned up. I believe I can complete my obligation and she wants me to do everything as asked.

Do I wish I had help...Yep! I really feel that it is too late to do more as to that need. Day time I have someone that allows me to fulfill appointments, etc. My wife usually will do nothing while she waits for my return.....I guess I am used to that.

Edited by BenjiBoy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3