Chapala.com Webboard

Ant despair

We have a "micro" ant problem that seems insolvable. I've tried honey with boric acid, an expensive commercial killer from Hara that is like a clear jelly you put in pans for them and powdered Trompa, the stuff that kills the cutter ants quickly.

I also tried Cyn-off. coating all their paths of entrance. They just walked over it like it wasn't there.

They ignored the powder and lapped up the other like it was yummy. After two weeks I think it is fair to conclude none of this stuff is going to kill them.

These are the tiniest ants, the ones that aren't even as big as a grain of sand. They've invaded our kitchen and they are driving us nuts.

HELP! :)

I had a tiny ant problem in my kitchen cupboards so I put about 1 T apple cider vinegar in a custard cup, added a small piece of banana skin, covered it with plastic wrap, poked a few holes with a toothpick and left it on a shelf next to the cupboards. It took a couple of weeks but I haven't seen any of the little beggars for more than a month. I shook it up to kill any that may have been struggling in the vinegar and changed it every 4-5 days just to ensure potency. Not sure if they moved on to better housing or I killed them off but they're gone (at least I my counter doesn't have mobile spots anymore).

Do you mean ants smaller than Pharaoh Ants, aka Sugar Ants, aka p#ss ants? Sometimes you have to switch the bait for Pharaoh Ants to something oily - like peanut butter. Another unorthodox treatment is dry steam, from those dry steam cleaners. Using the lance it can cook the nests and destroy the scent trail they need to navigate. Dry steam is also an excellent weed killer, moss/mold killer.

Every spring we get ants in the house, this year I was recommended from an Hardware store in Canada (HomeHardware )

The liquid product is from the company Ortho, it is called HomeDefense MAX

One or two drops, that's all it took, no mas problemo !

Do you mean ants smaller than Pharaoh Ants, aka Sugar Ants, aka p#ss ants? Sometimes you have to switch the bait for Pharaoh Ants to something oily - like peanut butter. Another unorthodox treatment is dry steam, from those dry steam cleaners. Using the lance it can cook the nests and destroy the scent trail they need to navigate. Dry steam is also an excellent weed killer, moss/mold killer.

Yes, they are smaller than even "sugar ants."

Wal-Mart sells a Raid product called Automatic Advanced. It's a small can in a plastic canister powered by a 9 volt battery. Every 7 minutes or so the can sends out a small puff of product. The can lasts a month or so and can be purchased separately to refill the canister.

We had similar small ant problems in the kitchen and this stuff seems to do the job.

Guest bennie2

MC, have had this problem in 2 houses, the tiny ones. they come& go. sometimes they live inside the electrical outlets. (not even related to food). never use honey or oils to get rid of them, as they love that. i had them in my bedroom because they were attacted to almond oil which wason the night table. i removed the oil bottle & another cream, cleaned& they left. this year they are not inetrested , & the oil is back where it was before. they now in the kitchen since i started using honey again on toast. even one crumb, there they are. keep all those kinds of foods sealed. you can try boric acid powder. put around the edges of the counters. put it on scotchtape & put over edge of electric outlet if they are coming out. sprinkle thin line of boric acid around anywhere you see them coming out. it kills roaches, it may kill ants.

We have large red ants coming out the top of our ceiling fan, when it is on, not when it is off. I believe they must have nested in the wire tubes. Anyone with experience on these? I really would like to continue using the ceiling fan. :(

I know of an Ortho product that does kill the ants, but I wouldn't put it out because of Max. We only use it outdoors in Texas.

I can't offer a solution for killing them indoors. However, here is a tip that may be helpful. Ants hate cinnamon. This will help control the location. They will not cross a trail of cinnamon.

Product in a spray bottle called Plagas.Sin.....works perfectly. Any hardware store has it, and cheap.................maybe 50-60 pesos for a 1 litre bottle. We use it all the time for the tiny ants, yes, we have a cat, no problem.! Recommended by a Mexican friend...............try it!

We also had a terrible problem with tiny ants, not only in the kitchen, but also trying to nest in our printer for the computer and the charging base for a wireless phone. We tried honey with a ring of boric acid powder around it, several locally purchased ant baits, and even tried to order Terro from NOB, but customs refused the shipment. The key was when we mixed 5% boric acid IN the honey. That way the ants can't just walk over the boric acid powder and eat the honey. If the boric acid concentration is too high, the ants will die before they can get back to the nest and spread the bait to the other ants. It also took about a month of continually replacing the bait, sometimes daily, before our problem was solved. Now we see an occasional ant in the kitchen and just put out bait as needed. And by the way, Terro is 5% boric acid in a sweet liquid base.

Archived