Chapala.com Webboard

Can Ajijic become a Municipality?

Ixtlahuacan, for example, is now part of the Greater Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, as are Zapopan and Tlajomulco. Chapala could actually be next; the entire municipality, including Ajijic of course.

And Ixtluhuacan now has buried utility wires--which is enough for me to want to become part of greater Guadalajara.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hector and I have made many trips to Guadalajara and are developing positive relationships with state officials. Who knows what may come with the next administration. Please know that it was Ajijic that swung the vote for PRI and state officials are aware and grateful, especially after losing Guad and the surrounding area. Ajijic is their shining victory. Hopefully soon we'll begin to see how grateful they can be?

Sorry Harry you're dead wrong on this one! Final vote count in Ajijic for top 3 candidates was as follows:

PAN 1,327 -- PRI 1,316 -- MC 1,142.

That's right, the party that you so often beat up on for not giving Ajijic it's fair share, the party that caused such a ruckus with the street paving project, the party that has been such an obstacle to your compadre-delegado, etc. etc., pulled in more votes than any other. In fact, Ajijic was the only town that actually Pelayo won, albeit by a razor thin margin.

Degollado carried Chapala, San Nicolás and Santa Cruz. Anaya carried Atotonilquillo and San Antonio.

Ultimately it was Chapala that swung the vote for PRI. Degollado "won" with 35.78% of the vote. 64.22% of the electorate voted for someone else.

Regards RV's comment I believe the new Presidente has stated he is going to investigate the possibility of becoming part of the Greater Guadalajara area. I think this would be a good topic for a separate thread here.

This thread and discussion is an absolute waste of time and breath.

Feel free to not participate in it.

Since foreigners have no say on it , I am not sure why they even bother talking about it. What will be will be .

We have a bigger chance of becoming part of Guadalajara than having a new municiaplity

but one way or the other it is out of our hands so just go with the flow.

Ixtlahuacan, for example, is now part of the Greater Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, as are Zapopan and Tlajomulco. Chapala could actually be next; the entire municipality, including Ajijic of course.

The Greater Guadalajara Metropolitan Area is just a census-designated area, not a unit of government. All the eight municipios within it still have their municipal governments.

The Greater Guadalajara Metropolitan Area is just a census-designated area, not a unit of government. All the eight municipios within it still have their municipal governments.

Formerly, the greater Guadalajara Metropolitan Area municipios for census statistics were as follows, Guadalajara, Zapopan, Tlaquepaque, Tonala, and Tlajomulco.

Has that changed? and what are the additional three?

edit....I found the answer to my question, as it now includes El Salto, Juanacatlan, and Ixtlahuacan, according to Wikipidea.

Regards RV's comment I believe the new Presidente has stated he is going to investigate the possibility of becoming part of the Greater Guadalajara area. I think this would be a good topic for a separate thread here.

Feel free to not participate in it.

If that is what you call a "snarky" comment?....If so, I will determine if I want to waste my own time and breath without your advice.

If that is what you call a "snarky" comment?....If so, I will determine if I want to waste my own time and breath without your advice.

No I'd say your post I quoted was pretty snarky.

Really if you don't find value in a thread, it is OK to just ignore it. Your comment added nothing to the discussion and was disrespectful to the other participants by stating like it was a fact their posts were nothing but a waste of time and breath.

No it is not, it is your opinion only. Others may not share that opinion. Core to having a civil discussion is respecting the opinions of others even when you don't agree.

Although the question about whether Ajijic could set up on its own has been covered pretty well, there's a lot of related information coming out of this thread that many of us find of interest. The original question was a good one, it was answered and it opened up the opportunity for better understanding the structure of local government here.

I'm simply telling you that if you don't like the discussion or find no value in it, just ignore the thread and move on. When it reaches the point where most have come to the same conclusion, threads usually stop on their own volition.

Thanks.

If that is the case, why would the new Presidente raise the possibility of joining the greater GDL Metropolitan Area? I can't cite a reference but I have a recollection of seeing somewhere that the municipalities in a greater metro area district may have some access to additional Federal funds and grants targeted at the metro areas.

That may be why the new Presidente is interested in pursuing this possibility.

This thread is an absolute waste of time and breath.....

....as far as achieving or promoting, independent municipio status for Ajijic.

I hope my rewording makes you feel better Mainecoons. It is strictly my opinion and you can have any opinion you want and I won't interfere with your right to say it. (not that I could, or even if I could).

"you seem to have a problem respecting the opinions and posts others"

Your opinion, no matter what is, isn't any problem for me.

I took my view concerning an issue, you for some reason, are attacking me.

Hector and I have made many trips to Guadalajara and are developing positive relationships with state officials. Who knows what may come with the next administration. Please know that it was Ajijic that swung the vote for PRI and state officials are aware and grateful, especially after losing Guad and the surrounding area. Ajijic is their shining victory. Hopefully soon we'll begin to see how grateful they can be?

Swinging the vote for the PRI doesn't seem like anything I would boast about,they are a despicable political party with a dismal 80 year record of over the top corruption.I can't think of a single organization that has done more harm to Mexico and Mexicans than the PRI.

At least in Guadalajara the voters are getting educated and sent the PAN and PRI a message.

As despicable as they may all be, they can either help or harm. Without party support , it is very difficult accomplishing anything. Even with their support it is almost impossible, i.e. the free dental clinic.

It would have been interesting to see if MC brought any real change and cleaner government to Chapala. I guess we'll have to just watch from afar and see what they do in GDL.

I think what you are saying, Harry, is that "politics is the art of the possible." Correct?

As despicable as they may all be, they can either help or harm.

Given the PRI's long and miserable track record I would bet on the latter.

Drift

Joining Guad seems like a no brainer to me for lakeside and the lake. They might actually have the political clout to protect the lake. Alas no matter how many of us march for the lake it does absolutely nothing long term other than some talk from politicos. Guad in past has worked towards the lakes benefit two time according to what I heard. The amount of water Guad uses is not an issue but the dams which are out of our hands as lakeside folk but not for Guad if they used the influence in Mexico City. Alas we by ourselves here have no clout at all. Locals completely disagree with me on this issue in many cases but I see no alternative unless something changes. We might have a great year for rain this year but the history of the lake says the lake will drop again and we will need some moderation of the dams around the lake for the lakes sake. Guad may be the lakes answer not the lakes problem. Being part of Guad might also solve some of our local money distribution problems as we would have someplace to go to complain which we don't have now really. Our new mayor and time will tell. I will try to be open minded and see what happens with local PRI government.

Tonkatoy may be forgiven for thinking in NoB terms, but should realize that, even there, he might be up for a ride on a rail. Tar and feathers, for sure. :018:

Archived