Chapala.com Webboard

Can Ajijic become a Municipality?

I was told years ago that Ajijic could not separate from Chapala and become its own municipality, but I cannot remember why. Is this true? If so, why? Are there specific requirements to become a Municipality that Ajijic does not meet? If so, what are they? Questions were prompted by a friendly discussion in which there were lots of guesses, but no definite answers. This time looking for answers, not guesses.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told years ago that Ajijic could not separate from Chapala and become its own municipality, but I cannot remember why. Is this true? If so, why? Are there specific requirements to become a Municipality that Ajijic does not meet? If so, what are they? Questions were prompted by a friendly discussion in which there were lots of guesses, but no definite answers. This time looking for answers, not guesses.

Wow, I think this is beyond our web board. It is what it is and I can't imagine what it would take for a bunch of non-citizens to make the change. I am happy, not ecstatic, but happy.

It would require some kind of legislative procedure in the state legislature, that I see will never happen.

Find a constitutional law professor at one of the universities in Guad., if you want a qualified expert to give you an opinion, as I doubt many or any, of the local legal establishment has the faintest idea without doing research.

This is an interesting topic, because Ajijic is a big source of property tax income for Chapala , but somehow, Chapala municipality never returns the tax benefits to Ajijic.

What's your source for this information? The yearly budget for the municipality of Chapala is in excess of 300 million pesos. Revenues from Ajijic (including property taxes, water bills and business licenses) amount

to 30 million pesos, or about 10 percent of the total.

An expat asking a bunch of retired expats the facts about Mexican geopolitical legal structure? Wow, talk about the blind leading the blind. Go to source if you want anything other than a gossip column. You won't find a meaningful answer here.

An expat asking a bunch of retired expats the facts about Mexican geopolitical legal structure? Wow, talk about the blind leading the blind. Go to source if you want anything other than a gossip column. You won't find a meaningful answer here.

What she said......in spades. :lol:

There hasn't been a geographical change in the constituent municipios in the last 100 years....probably longer.

edit.....I forgot to mention, that of the 125 municipios in Jalisco, the only one I remember changing or attempting to change was Cihautlan, over a dispute with the State of Colima. Sparks probably knows more about that.

Municipio ----- Translations from Spanish to English - noun

town

municipality

township

borough

parish

city hall

Condado means county

If somehow municipio equates to "county" in Spanish in this part of Mexico, I had no idea. Growing up speaking Spanish, Condado was Condado and municipalidad was municipalidad. Please don't attack, just let me know if somehow I am mistaken or its possibly just that Mexican Spanish uses words differently than we did in Spain and Cemtral America. Or is it that a municipality operates as what we know as a county?

In Mexico we speak of municipios, municipalidades not condados. Condados were part of a royal system , I would think that any revolution would have done away with those.

There were talks of having the municipality of Chapala becoming part of Guadalajara so anyone trying to turn Ajijic into a municipality is going the wrong way..

By the way I would think that Ajijic xpenses would go way up if we had our own government to support.

The specifications are found in the Ley Orgánica Del Poder Legislativo Del Estado De Jalisco, CAPÍTULO VIII - De la Creación de Municipios

Basic requirements set out in Artículo 237:

1. The State Congress may establish new municipalities according to the following rules:

I. The territorial area where they intend to be constituted measures no less than 250 square kilometers;

II.
The population living in that area is greater than 30,000 inhabitants;

III.
It is solicited by at least one quarter of all registered voters with residence in the territory where the new municipality is to be established;

IV.
The town chosen as the municipal seat has no less than 10,000 inhabitants;

V. It has essential public services and the economic capacity to generate enough tax revenue to meet the costs of the new municipal government; and

VI. Any other municipality(ies) that will be affected by segregation do not lose conditions to remain as municipalities.

But is that the correct question. Ajijic doesn't want to become a municipality (county). Just an independent town / village. Recently I was told this could happen if we had 22,000 residents.With la Floresta , La Cacacinta and the gated communities west of us , couldn't that be a reality?

Municipio ----- Translations from Spanish to English - noun

town

municipality

township

borough

parish

city hall

Condado means county

If somehow municipio equates to "county" in Spanish in this part of Mexico, I had no idea. Growing up speaking Spanish, Condado was Condado and municipalidad was municipalidad. Please don't attack, just let me know if somehow I am mistaken or its possibly just that Mexican Spanish uses words differently than we did in Spain and Cemtral America. Or is it that a municipality operates as what we know as a county?

Regardless of dictionary definitions, or how it may be done elsewhere in Latin America, in Mexico municipalidades are geographic areas varying in size, but which contain both towns and rural areas. They very similar geographically to US counties. The municipalidad is nearly always called by the name of the chief town within it, hence the confusion. Chapala is both a town and a municipalidad.

Hector and I have made many trips to Guadalajara and are developing positive relationships with state officials. Who knows what may come with the next administration. Please know that it was Ajijic that swung the vote for PRI and state officials are aware and grateful, especially after losing Guad and the surrounding area. Ajijic is their shining victory. Hopefully soon we'll begin to see how grateful they can be?

Maybe someone needs to pay attention to what sayaca posted above because if the 250 km2 is an absolute requirement that would not seem doable, because just from doing some quick measurements on google earth, unless you go way on the other side of the mountain range and include both San Antonio and Riberas, this would seem a tough nut to crack. If the limits of Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos include the other side of the mountain range I doubt they will be willing to give up any of their territory.

Buena Suerte

It seems to me that the "independent town" thing is another gringo fantasy and urban legend based on unsubstantiated and legally baseless rumors. Can anyone produce a Jalisco law to substantiate it as sayaca has done above with the creation of new municipios? Probably not.

You will see the devil serving ice water in hell before you manage to change how Mexico works.

There were talks of having the municipality of Chapala becoming part of Guadalajara so anyone trying to turn Ajijic into a municipality is going the wrong way..

There were talks???

So what happens to Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos and Tlajomulco de Zuniga, which lie between the municipios of Chapala and Guadadalara? LOL

This thread and discussion is an absolute waste of time and breath.

There were talks???

So what happens to Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos and Tlajomulco de Zuniga, which lie between the municipios of Chapala and Guadadalara? LOL

This thread and discussion is an absolute waste of time and breath.

What part of "no way" do people not understand after the law was quoted?

Ixtlahuacan, for example, is now part of the Greater Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, as are Zapopan and Tlajomulco. Chapala could actually be next; the entire municipality, including Ajijic of course.

Archived