Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Community Council to meet with Police Commanders

I'll submit the suggestions in writing and follow up

Harry, you might ask us to submit our suggestions in writing, not email. We will skip the casual suggestions if we have to write it up coherently, print it, sign it, and then get it to you, Hector, or someone else on the committee.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pet peeve and a dangerous practice is drivers not stopping at the bottom of the Libramiento when making a right turn. Very dangerous. If I slow down to stop, drivers pull around me on the left and pass. I'm not exaggerating, I've seen it hundreds of times

My pet peeve and a dangerous practice is drivers not stopping at the bottom of the Libramiento when making a right turn. Very dangerous. If I slow down to stop, drivers pull around me on the left and pass. I'm not exaggerating, I've seen it hundreds of times

I agree. I happens all the time, particularly on the weekends. If Chapala were place a cop at that intersection on the weekends he could legitimately generate a lot of income in traffic fines for the city from the people from Guad that clog our streets and often drive dangerously.

1 "equal enforcement of traffic laws"? Please where does that exist? When mexicans hear about other mexicans' treatment elsewhere, unfortunately, but, very humanly, they take it out on us. To get equal treatment here there would have to be equal treatment of mexicans in the US and Canada. Let me know when that happens.

2 Coming from the west heading onto the libramento north there has always been a turn light which continues to be enforced. I don't understand the problem??

If Mexicans get treated harshly, illegally in the USA and Canada it is a real gold mine for them! There are bilingual attorneys (or translators are furnished for free) just begging to get their cases to a jury where the Mexican can prevail at no cost to themselves and reap $ millions. Show me where that happens for foreigners in Mexico. In east Tennessee a highway patrolman was accused by Mexican group of profiling Mexicans and ppulling them over. The Mexican's attorneys subpeonaed his ticketng record and proved that 20% of his tickets were to hispanic sir names and the hispanics were only 13% of local population. So today the patrolman sits in prison. Show me where that works here?

Yes, please keep beating the drum LOUD about the growing noise problem here, and maybe everywhere in Mexico, I don't know...

On one hand I believe it is bad form for foreigners to come to a new country and then complain about the local, long held traditions, like fiesta "noise" which most of the people here enjoy, or it would not be happening. The fiestas are temporary events, financed by the people of the villages, and one can look forward to the end if one does not enjoy them.

The real problem is the commercial establishments, like El Barco and now, the Plaza Bugambilias which assault the neighborhood with very loud noise every weekend, all year around. I speak Spanish and have talked with many neighbors and they all hate it as much as I do. These establishments are not playing the beautiful, melodic traditional music of Mexico, but the VERY WORST MUSIC from the USA! It grates on all of our ears!

It's like these establishments, with their excessive noise, invade our houses every weekend, robbing all of us of our own peace and quiet, or our own choice of entertainment, in the privacy of our own homes!

The underlying problem is that monster sound systems, once used only in large concert situations, are now freely available here in appliance stores, of all places! So, a few people with money buy these things, rent them out for eventos, or they are used by bars. The people who are operating this equipment clearly have no experience, and do not know what they are doing!!! They simply turn everything up as loud as possible, mindless of the fact that the larger the system, the farther the sound carries! Like, for blocks! And it is unbearable for the people close by! This is new technology here, but all this is well known in the US, where loud music developed.

The Mexicans using this unnecessarily large equipment do not understand the context of loud music in the US, where it came from. There, the bars or other music venues have 4 solid walls, a roof, and are totally soundproofed, and are usually located in business districts where there are no residents living! The outdoor venues are far from towns, and often have sophisticated landscaping and sound baffling to prevent too much sound from escaping. The rules that apply there are for the good of everyone, so people's rights to peace in their own homes is not disturbed.

With that in mind, these same adjustments need to be made in Mexico, if Mexico is going to import this style of music - rock, rave, etc. Their guideline needs to be that ONLY paying customers can hear their "entertainment", not the whole neighborhood, which is forced to hear it repeatedly ad nauseum! The raves need to stay in the industrial zones in big cities. They are completely out of place in a small town anywhere!

As a former steadily employed disco-funk-old-school "house band" singer in and around Oakland and SF in the 70s, I was shocked to see that the sound system on an upstaris OUTDOOR TERRACE at Plaza B, was about 3 times as big as the systems my high-energy bands used to use! And they can't even mix 2 channels for the karaoke. The mike channel is so loud you can't even hear the music. All you can hear is off-key singers screeching into the mike, which is turned up as loud as possible - and this goes on until 2 or 3 am!!

Concert size sound systems were meant for concerts, which strongly implies a certain level of performance skill, which is sadly lacking here, except in the professional bandas who actually practice and rehearse. They are not the source of the real problem here.

I remind all concerned that continuous very loud music has been used as an instrument of torture in US jails in places such as Iraq and Guantanamo Bay. In the interest of peace and harmony in our beautiful and traditional pueblo, we need standards applied to noise levels!

Guest bennie2

ezpz, huge amps are also now in back of pickup trucks etc. there are repetitive recordings (a shoutng man) which are so loud that it goes thru tightly closed windows. most of these trucks just ride around to annouce something they are selling. the truck can have some old electrical parts maybe. that would not be allowed anywhere in the cities im from (@least the neighborhoods i lived in). also these amps are on top of cars as well, as the driver likes the music. its usually younger boys. @one time the most you heard here was a small mic annoucing that the fruit truck had arrived. but its was maybe 1/10 of the volume. the culture here has changed. even the mexican dance arobic teacher puts the volume up to max, including bass & treble. its an "on" or "off" thing. they dont "get" that its adjustable. yes, there is less latin beats featured, but somekind of agressive stuff. i know as i checked out some of classes @ cultural center.

Geeser, please provide the link to the source for your story about the Tennesee highway patrolman who is in prison for writing too many traffic tickets to Mexicans. I want to find out more about this. Or just tell me where you got the story from and I will look it up myself. Thank you.

One of the things that concerns me most is people driving with no lights at night. Driving the carretera at night is scary! If the police could occasionally go out at night to pull drivers over for failure to have proper lighting they could make a lot of money for the municipality. Just warn the drivers about the lights but check for drunks and people without licenses or insurance. Pulling people over for no lights could solve more than one problem.

One of the things that concerns me most is people driving with no lights at night. Driving the carretera at night is scary! If the police could occasionally go out at night to pull drivers over for failure to have proper lighting they could make a lot of money for the municipality. Just warn the drivers about the lights but check for drunks and people without licenses or insurance. Pulling people over for no lights could solve more than one problem.

Believe it or not, many drivers around the world and here in Mexico, think that their headlights have a very limited lifespan and thus they turn them off when they think it's OK to do so! First encountered this in Bali many years ago.

Guest bennie2

cbverajero, not MY green light while im walking cross street. but yes its OK w/those mexican drivers if thats what you mean. night & holidays lights are disregarded. small busses go thru most lights @ night every night. motor cycles never use lights, they come out & hit people all the time.

Believe it or not, many drivers around the world and here in Mexico, think that their headlights have a very limited lifespan and thus they turn them off when they think it's OK to do so! First encountered this in Bali many years ago.

Now that is very interesting.

I thought it was the law here that all cars only have one headlight working at any time, and preferably a high-beam. Also, taillights must not function, and if they do, must not be used to indicate turns. In particular, the use of working brake lights is to be discouraged.

Yes, of course, go after all those traffic issues! I am carless by choice, but as a pedestrian, it is also very dangerous, especially around the carretera, where I am hyper vigilant when crosing. It seems that reckless driving as well as super loud noise are part of the macho culture here. But, the romantic singers are also macho, but they aren't causing anyone any problems! :P

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I would be willing to join your group to speak with the delegacion and/or the ministerio publico regarding the noise issues, which I believe I can articulate a little more clearly with my professional performance experience. When might this meeting happen?

A couple of years ago I went to the Ministerio alone and spoke with them in Espanol. They were most polite and receptive and even gave me paper and pen to write down the details. My perspective is more clear now that I have actually seen these huge systems in use - suitable for an audience of maybe 2000 people, but used in a little local bar or outdoor terrace where they think 100 people is a good crowd. And maybe only 10-20 people are actually there, or maybe no one!

I have also spoken with more Mexican neighbors and we are talking about getting a group together also. But, they all work or have kids to watch, or a couple are not here all the time, so it's hard to do the logistics. I don't even know exactly where they all live, but we see eachother on the street, as I walk everywhere.

Thank Goddess for the rain which has temporarily mitigated the noise issue nearby.

Guest bennie2

ezpz the older mexicans are upset about the noise. some of them do not work so they have time to go w/you. giving fines & tickets for noise is another way to generate $.

ezpz the older mexicans are upset about the noise. some of them do not work so they have time to go w/you. giving fines & tickets doe noise is another way to generate $.

TX Bennie,

At 11PM Sat. night, the noise is just getting started. This follows 6 hours of another evento seeming to come from the front of the Lienzo Charro - a party. Just when it was winding down, Plaza B (El Tercero Piso - the 3rd Floor) starts up with their hyper maniacal sound presumably from Guad. It's just noise. Saturdays they seem to be indoors, but the door is open to the terrace. IT IS VERY LOUD, AND JUST GETTING STARTED. The "music" sounds like a sci-fi horror show with a beat. This probably will go on until 3 or so. It is drowning out the music on my stereo. The decibel level is like being in the middle of a major city.

This is where our beautiful Ajijic is headed if these things are not checked, and soon! Don't think this couldn't happen in your neighborhood! Sound waves do not stop at "commercial zone" boundaries.

I'd like to go see how many people are actually there, but I've been ill and need to rest, and sort of hate to crash the kids' party, ya know.

I guess you could add a reminder to all the gardeners who use a radio when the owner is out/away..turn the sound to the house you are working at, not the direction of the neighbor

to me that is small potatoes! besides all of the above, there is a carpenter shop behind me. he often starts working early in the a.m., even on Sundays! sometimes he plays nice music. workers are doing a legit job, they are not being jerks like the egotistical bar owners and musicians who choose to blast their music. we have to pick out battles here, ya know! i'm staying with the big stuff that affects a lot of people. you know, gringos here are often seen as whiners and complainers in a society where complaining is not admired, unless it is really a big deal!

Just to add a comic note, this is a video called "Vamos a compartarnos mal" by Calle 13. Self explanatory.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PKE_6OmBijk

jaja! I thought I was the only gringo(a) here who knows who Calle 13 is! Well, at least they weren't using huge speakers in their video! They always have very cool videos! Here is my favorite from about 7 years ago - shot in a remote mountain village during a Virgin fiesta:

jaja! I thought I was the only gringo(a) here who knows who Calle 13 is! Well, at least they weren't using huge speakers in their video! They always have very cool videos! Here is my favorite from about 7 years ago - shot in a remote mountain village during a Virgin fiesta:

one thing I really like about Calle 13 is that they use traditional, acoustic instruments - although I don't know what they've done recently. They aren't caving into the cheesy synthesizer processed crap that we hear too much of - a style of music originated in the US.

Archived