Chapala.com Webboard

Banamex USA -outrageous

Once again, the June 30th date sounds suspiciously like it's another ramification of FATCA because banks have to start reporting July 1st. Might be something else, but timing is sure odd.

I just got online with SCHWAB, they charge a 3% foreign transfer fee for each transaction!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is related to a veteran or is a veteran you can join USAA and it refunds ATM fees and I think there are no exchange rate fees.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/affinity_amvets_landing?adID=VURL_amvets&affid=023

I spoke to a USAA rep last night. He said they would refund UP TO $15.00 USD in ATM fees. It's not going to cover completely but every little bit helps.

Anyone know, with all these NEW developments, if we could have our SS deposited into Banamex Mexico, rather than Banamex USA?

What a nightmare of many of us to try to figure out how and what to do, with so little notice!

Kobi

Yes you can do a direct deposit to a MX account and many do. I just don't want my whole check in a Mexican bank because to me it is too risky.

What I want now is what I had with BanamexUSA: A checking account that received our SS direct deposits.

I paid my landlord with a check.

I cashed my checks at Actinver for pesos, where I have an account. No charges, no fees.

I rarely resorted to ATMs.

I used my on-line Am/Ex card to pay such things as DishNet and various purchases.

I don't have a US address, but can use a relative's.

I've checked some of the suggestions on this thread and so far have not found all of the above. Can anyone save me time if they know what I can do to get the above?

Muchas gracias

As has been said elsewhere on this board, Capital One 360 charges no ATM or international fees, and you can open an account online.

I switched my SS deposit to them at SSA.gov.

Since I'm now "fee free" I'm closing my Mexican account. Too much hassle and uncertainty for too little benefit.

As has been said elsewhere on this board, Capital One 360 charges no ATM or international fees, and you can open an account online.

I switched my SS deposit to them at SSA.gov.

Since I'm now "fee free" I'm closing my Mexican account. Too much hassle and uncertainty for too little benefit.

Question: Can you open that account without a physical U.S. address? Don't have one and can't "create" one.

We use the Handymail Texas address, as many do.

Question: Can you open that account without a physical U.S. address? Don't have one and can't "create" one.

We use the Handymail Texas address, as many do.

I'm using my daughter's address and she can forward any mail I need to a Laredo address. Someone else said that as long as the address doesn't look like a PO Box use your Laredo address with the box number looking like a unit or apartment number.

FYI to those scrambling to get a replacement bank account:

1. SSA in Guadalajara informs me this morn that the cut off date for new bank info in order to get your SS check deposited for July is June 19.

2. USAA opens checking accounts for retired vets. A rep told me a US address is required. When I said I had none, but lived with a relative part of the year and could supply their address, rep said that was fine. USAA fits all my requirements. If you're a vet or widower/widow of one, check out USAA

Lexy

I just downloaded an application for the online ALLY bank with the hope of using that Handymail Texas address, but it gets really specific about where you live, have lived before and specifies no P.O. Boxes, along with saying they may ask for your U.S. drivers licence (which we don't have any more, either). Gulp.

FYI to those scrambling to get a replacement bank account:

1. SSA in Guadalajara informs me this morn that the cut off date for new bank info in order to get your SS check deposited for July is June 19.

2. USAA opens checking accounts for retired vets. A rep told me a US address is required. When I said I had none, but lived with a relative part of the year and could supply their address, rep said that was fine. USAA fits all my requirements. If you're a vet or widower/widow of one, check out USAA

Lexy

You can change your bank for monthly SS deposit by faxing a letter to the SS office in Guadalajara at 01 33 32 68 0803

Letter should be to the attention of Social Security Dept. and include

the bank, etc, routing and account numbers, your social security number.

name, signature and a phone number in case they need to contact you.

This is for a bank change within the U.S. She asked if it was for a U.S. or Mexican bank so I assume there is a

somewhat different procedure for Mexican bank.

SS. phone in Guad is 01-800-772-6394

I am surprised because I didn't realize how many people just on the web board use Banamex USA. We have not received a letter, but called and we are on the closure list. I wonder if this should be a notice in the Guad paper.

Some years ago it was a common suggestion to use that bank with a linked account to Banamex Mexico so that you could avoid ATM fees and transfer money online. Unfortunately, the many people who followed that suggestion had no crystal ball and are now sitting up that famous creek grabbing around for a paddle.

For people who have one of those accounts, a Guad Reporter suggestion that they get in touch with the bank and ask the magic question would be very helpful if they don't follow these local forums. Good idea. Someone mentioned that it's not just the one bank, but several others heading in that direction.

I decided not to use Schwab and spent an hour this morning with a rep at Capital One 360. I am in the process of opening a savings account and a checking account that will be linked. There are no foreign transaction fees.

The ATM machine is good for free withdrawls using the checking account debit card.

They will be transferring the money I have in my Banamex USA Accounts for me without any cost or hassle.. Once that link is established my accounts will be usable.

As soon as those accounts are open I will call SS to change my direct deposit to Capital One 360. The money will be available to me as soon as the deposit is made,but anything other than direct deposits of any kind have a 2 day hold.

During the start up time it is a bit longer.

I decided not to use Schwab and spent an hour this morning with a rep at Capital One 360. I am in the process of opening a savings account and a checking account that will be linked. There are no foreign transaction fees.

The ATM machine is good for free withdrawls using the checking account debit card.

They will be transferring the money I have in my Banamex USA Accounts for me without any cost or hassle.. Once that link is established my accounts will be usable.

As soon as those accounts are open I will call SS to change my direct deposit to Capital One 360. The money will be available to me as soon as the deposit is made,but anything other than direct deposits of any kind have a 2 day hold.

During the start up time it is a bit longer.

Does Capitol One know that you are in Mexico? Are you using only a US address?

I talked to my tax advisor here locally this morning who hadn't heard about Banamex and wonders if others will be "closed"

at a later time - gradually.... He also mentioned, as I also know from experience, that the U.S. investment companies are

also causing difficulties for those of us outside the U.S.

I just called Capitol One 360 and a rep told me I would have to prove a US residency in open a checking account.

I said I lived with a relative at a US address part of the time. He said that would not do unless my name shows up on a security check of that address.

Looks like going to USAA is a better possibility for me.

Lexy

So, Shira has a U.S. address to use.

I downloaded applications for three online banks, and they all insist on a U.S. verifiable address.........so it's off to check the Mexican institutions and eat crow for lunch.

Next step: Getting a Visa or Mastercard not tied to Banamex USA.

So, Shira has a U.S. address to use.

I downloaded applications for three online banks, and they all insist on a U.S. verifiable address.........so it's off to check the Mexican institutions and eat crow for lunch.

Next step: Getting a Visa or Mastercard not tied to Banamex USA.

Gringal--I just got told by Capitol One that I'd need proof of US address (as I just posted above).

So based on what you've found so far, it looks like USAA would be my best bet and maybe yours, if you or husband is a vet.

Lexy

Archived